Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 602 of 618 FirstFirst ... 102502552592600601602603604612 ... LastLast
Results 6,011 to 6,020 of 6172
    Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    Don't go too nuts.... I've just had a VAT invoice on a business to business delivery that arrived from the EU two weeks ago (even though its not supposed to be paid at import for VAT business)... so could just be a catch up thing....
    Brexit bonus 🤷☺♀️

X

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There is a fair bit of info available but confusing: https://www.quaderno.io/blog/2021-br...ldwide-sellers

Once things get sorted out and foreign businesses decide if they are going to trade with us or not things should clear up. The #1 opportunity that the idiot government lost was to reduce the VAT threshold significantly. Not sure exactly when it was but I remember it being debated and then left at the current level. Bringing it down would close the loopholes and create a better, more level playing field for traders. As it stands if you can import stuff and avoid the VAT and sell it on from your garage on eBay you can undercut all the "proper" businesses in the UK. The problem with marginal traders like that is they set a price expectation that larger VAT registered business cannot meet. When the little mickey mouse guys get near the threshold they just stop trading for the year, or have multiple "separate" businesses.
    We give £350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    There is a fair bit of info available but confusing: https://www.quaderno.io/blog/2021-br...ldwide-sellers

Once things get sorted out and foreign businesses decide if they are going to trade with us or not things should clear up. The #1 opportunity that the idiot government lost was to reduce the VAT threshold significantly. Not sure exactly when it was but I remember it being debated and then left at the current level. Bringing it down would close the loopholes and create a better, more level playing field for traders. As it stands if you can import stuff and avoid the VAT and sell it on from your garage on eBay you can undercut all the "proper" businesses in the UK. The problem with marginal traders like that is they set a price expectation that larger VAT registered business cannot meet. When the little mickey mouse guys get near the threshold they just stop trading for the year, or have multiple "separate" businesses.
    Sorry, not sure I understand what you mean?

VAT on import will be applicable for anything over £35 (I think).

If you're a VAT registered business importing, then you can claim the VAT back (or pay/claim on the same return once the importers catch up), but you'd then need to charge VAT to your customer.

If you're not VAT registered, then you'd have to pay VAT on import, but wouldn't be able to claim back. So whilst you don't have to charge the end customer VAT, you're cost of goods go up, so the margin effectively stays the same.

So I don't see any price benefit for non VAT registered businesses?
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    So I don't see any price benefit for non VAT registered businesses?
    Non VAT registered businesses do not charge VAT on goods. So as a for instance in your field a person could buy a camera in Jersey VAT free and sell it on eBay. You would pay VAT as you source it properly and you would charge VAT on it when you sell it. Even if you both pay the same cost price your camera is 20% more expensive as it is tax.

I remember some little 35mm waterproof cameras coming in years and years back and they were cheap on eBay and came in via Jersey.

I see it a lot with piss ant sellers on eBay who eat the VAT at cost price and can fool themselves they are making a margin. Once you take into account listings costs and commission they are not covering the walk to the post box but they do it for a while, pack up then another comes along and so on. It sets the price and so the end customer "can see it cheaper on the Internet". If it is done for pin money and no overheads I guess a person can make a few quid here and there. Dropping the VAT registration to 20 grand would take out the cheats.

Anyway just a gripe and another pet hate of mine, not intended to really use it for/against in the EU thing. it just means if (temporarily) people are bringing stuff in with no VAT (as was the case with Jersey) we will have a resurgence of piss ant price setters.
    We give £350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Non VAT registered businesses do not charge VAT on goods. So as a for instance in your field a person could buy a camera in Jersey VAT free and sell it on eBay. You would pay VAT as you source it properly and you would charge VAT on it when you sell it. Even if you both pay the same cost price your camera is 20% more expensive as it is tax.

I remember some little 35mm waterproof cameras coming in years and years back and they were cheap on eBay and came in via Jersey.

I see it a lot with piss ant sellers on eBay who eat the VAT at cost price and can fool themselves they are making a margin. Once you take into account listings costs and commission they are not covering the walk to the post box but they do it for a while, pack up then another comes along and so on. It sets the price and so the end customer "can see it cheaper on the Internet". If it is done for pin money and no overheads I guess a person can make a few quid here and there. Dropping the VAT registration to 20 grand would take out the cheats.

Anyway just a gripe and another pet hate of mine, not intended to really use it for/against in the EU thing. it just means if (temporarily) people are bringing stuff in with no VAT (as was the case with Jersey) we will have a resurgence of piss ant price setters.
    Yep, gets my goat as well.... hoping the new VAT regime will make this harder, but will have to see. If should hopefully make it easier/clearer to identify them breaking the law as smugglers?
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just get a room you two...
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

M.D., Beaver Sports (Yorks) Ltd
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    I'd be looking at opening up a European warehouse if I was you pal.

Going to be more of this shit to come every time the tories try and do some "brittania unchained" bollox and the EU sanction us for it I would imagine...
    Yes, considered that for the last couple of years, sadly a few things don't make it easy, we are too small without actually moving myself to somewhere like Holland, which I really would love to do but at this stage have far too many ties to being here, too old and the short term hassle involved would be huge. An easier option is a partnership type arrangement with friends in the EU, where in effect they kept some of our stock in the EU and traded it out from basically our EU subsidary and we would also do the same in reverse. Right now, it's lets see how things go in the short term, hopefully things will settle down, but the omens are not good at this time;<( Biggest problem is the parcel companies such as our regular DPD are simply returning everything without any explanation. Yesterday they returned Norwegian parcels as there was no EORI number quoted, crazy as Norwegian companies don't have EORI Numbers and they are not in the EU, so they should be no change compared to how we have handled our exports to there, which have been at least weekly for over 25 years!!!

M.D., Beaver Sports (Yorks) Ltd
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    LOL.

Yes, there is a widespread failure to notice that as the UK diverges from its current position that more red tape and possibly tariffs are going to be imposed.
    Indeed, and I feel sorry for them, but certainly not in my case, I've only been involved in exporting and importing including running our own International Haulage Company for the last 36 years........ In addition, as cold be expected, I have monitored the situation closely over recent years during which time we have implemented everything required and were fully prepared as we were told to be for the previous 'deadline' dates.........

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomanic View Post
    Just get a room you two...
    https://www.makeuk.org/news-and-even...s-and-red-tape
    “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yesterday was the first anniversary of Brexit day.
    Did I miss the anniversary party?
    Did Big Ben Bong?
    Shouldn't we have a bank holiday today for it?
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.