Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 585 of 613 FirstFirst ... 85485535575583584585586587595 ... LastLast
Results 5,841 to 5,850 of 6125
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by divechick View Post
    Sturgeon's using her daily TV appearance as a party political broadcast (complete with talkie dancer backdrop,but no subtitles for everyone else to read).
    How f*cking low can you go!
    Inclusiveness. The miniscule minority of people who can understand British Sign Language versus the majority of people who can read English subtitles. If a Venn diagram was drawn there'd be a big circle for the people who can read and inside it a dot representing the people who understand BSL.

I doubt there is *anybody* who understands BSL who cannot read subtitles (we're not talking of junior school children here).

What about all the people who are hard of hearing or maybe are watching this in a noisy environment who need to see the subtitles? That would be inclusivity.

This is pure virtue signalling.
    Last edited by Wibs; 13-01-2021 at 10:35 AM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Inclusiveness. The miniscule minority of people who can understand British Sign Language versus the majority of people who can read English subtitles. If a Venn diagram was drawn there'd be a big circle for the people who can read and inside it a dot representing the people who understand BSL.

I doubt there is *anybody* who understands BSL who cannot read subtitles (we're not talking of junior school children here).

What about all the people who are hard of hearing or maybe are watching this in a noisy environment who need to see the subtitles? That would be inclusivity.

Perhaps if you had phrased your earlier comments this way it might have been a better argument rather than a particularly unpleasant description. I don't disagree with the fact that subtitles might be a sensible addition to the daily presentations.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

It was a blatant attack on people with disabilities and you know it was.

I have reported the post. I hope the mods act on it as it should not be left
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post

I stand by what I said; this is an attack on blatant virtue signalling at the exclusion of the majority of people. Most people who are hard of hearing are NOT deaf and do not understand BSL. It's exactly the same for most people with sight problems are not blind -- yet websites aren't accessible.

However, I would say that maybe I could re-edit it if I could find a suitable turn of phrase.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post

Much as its not very trendy to come out in support of wibs - it was an attempt at humour. I suspect many deaf might snigger a bit at the description

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    Much as its not very trendy to come out in support of wibs - it was an attempt at humour. I suspect many deaf might snigger a bit at the description
    Then it was an epic fail!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Sturgeon's using her daily TV appearance as a party political broadcast (complete with talkie dancer backdrop, but no subtitles for everyone else to read). This means it's all completely one sided and there's simply no active criticism to her and her party's many failures in their existing powers. We need the end to covid to put the poor Scots out of their daily hate message misery.
    Thank goodness the Wales, England and Northern Ireland briefings bring the members of the opposition parties along to add some balance to the daily covid briefings...
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    However, I would say that maybe I could re-edit it if I could find a suitable turn of phrase.
    Try harder

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I wasn't going to respond, but this is so much bull!

Over the next few weeks the trials and tribulations of the SNP's vendetta(?) against Salmond will be revealed. He was found not guilty of some 12 charges and "not proven" for one. This brings in to question the women who testified against him; were they prompted to, errm, embellish their complaints against Salmond and what was the central role of Sturgeon in all of this, especially in her almost certainly misleading the Scottish regional assembly -- which is always a resignation matter.
    So "misleading the house" is always a resignation matter - great. We can expect the entire UK cabinet's resignation forthwith, then!

Sturgeon's using her daily TV appearance as a party political broadcast (complete with BSL 'talker' backdrop understood by very fuew, but no subtitles for the majority of people to read - an example of virtue signalling). This means it's all completely one sided and there's simply no active criticism to her and her party's many failures in their existing powers. We need the end to covid to put the poor Scots out of their daily hate message misery.
    You've obviously not been watching it then. 1) Subtitles are there, we have them on all the time. 2) The only "political" stuff is when the so-called journalists try to push for it, but get shut down.

For the record, I'm not a supporter of the SNP, but I am impressed with the consistency of the daily updates. Odd how the 2 best communicating national leaders throughout the COVID pandemic have been women (Ardern and Sturgeon)!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I stand by what I said; this is an attack on blatant virtue signalling at the exclusion of the majority of people. Most people who are hard of hearing are NOT deaf and do not understand BSL. It's exactly the same for most people with sight problems are not blind -- yet websites aren't accessible.
    As a person who is deaf enough not to be able to work out what the TV is telling me most of the time, I find subtitles frustrating at best - they can't keep up with what's being said, are often typed by someone who also can't hear properly and generally gradually get left behind before doing a big leap forward and missing out half of what's being said! I find the happy person in the corner gets the gist over much better.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life