Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 583 of 615 FirstFirst ... 83483533573581582583584585593 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,830 of 6143
    Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post

British Sugar make from UK grown beet, T&L make from cane (grown abroad). Her Maj for some reason prefers the forrun stuff in her tea.
    The poor old girl is probably trying to maintain the interests of the empire.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

I'm on the naughty step. Back when I'm good.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    ...The business has been supplying British Sugar with kit for over 50 years-....
    Ooo. I might have touched some of your kit when I was a youff. There's a thought.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    The poor old girl is probably trying to maintain the interests of the empire.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    This made me chuckle

https://youtu.be/9Ml6tCtuIOw
    Brilliant!

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Well the negotiating tactics that the government used in the trade deal negotiations are starting to be revealed.

For those that are employed in the music industry or those that like live music this one is going to be a bit of an annoying read:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-visa-free-work-musicians-eu-brexit-b1784600.html?fbclid=IwAR1wu6FNe_mG3tlxozQFTt_FJZ5 Yq0jL-P1TU8PeECvofwJrLwynS2VUYp4

Essentially the EU offered to allow performers to have a 90 day visa free access to the EU but the UK rejected that as we would have to allow EU performers access to the UK for up to 90 days as well. Priti Patel objected as we were moving away from free movement.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Gotta love how the Leave.eu campaign have now moved their registered offices to Waterford in order to keep the domain
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    Essentially the EU offered to allow performers to have a 90 day visa free access to the EU but the UK rejected that as we would have to allow EU performers access to the UK for up to 90 days as well. Priti Patel objected as we were moving away from free movement.
    Theresa May set a red line of no free movement as it was "immigration by the back door". She perfectly understood why the vast majority of people voted to leave and what she needed to do and say to keep them on team. Virtually every other argument put forward to leave was (and still is) dishonest. Leaving the EEA was a prerequisite to ending free movement and why the rather obvious compromise of retaining EEA membership never got a look in. The so-called "Norway" option as was touted around at the time.

Patel understands this just as well. A large number of the UK Asian community were lied to and led to believe that post Brexit it would be easier for them to get family and relatives into the UK and that they were discriminated against as Poles could come but Bangladeshis could not. A number of Tories/brexiters promoted this falsehood at the time, needless to say nothing has changed you still need to meet the same thresholds as before. Nothing has been done to help the shortage of curry chefs and I guess nothing will now with the problems of the hospitality trade.

The only certainty of leaving was the ending of free movement. Every other issue (whether seen as positive or negative) was debatable and open to opinion (some cranky opinions but nevertheless not hard fact). Ending free movement was a hard fact, immutable. It could have been negotiated away by agreement, there was no desire to end it by the EU27. Only one party wanted it ended, the UK. Within the UK only one group of people. Opinion polls at the time showed that leave voters often wanted free movement to continue once it was explained to them it would also affect British people. IIRC some 60% of leave voters would have accepted free movement to continue.

So it is the hardcore 40% ish of 17m ish that stopped it. Or about 7 million people - bit less. Or about 10% of the population that have screwed the other 90.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    As an update Starmer drops the pledge to re-open the free movement debate on Marr this morning.

Seems like he wants the red wall back.....

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Without the red wall the pledge is meaningless anyway as he'll never get a majority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomanic View Post
    Without the red wall the pledge is meaningless anyway as he'll never get a majority.
    I think you are right - a depressing thought, another decade or two of the current scum.