Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 473 of 616 FirstFirst ... 373423463471472473474475483523573 ... LastLast
Results 4,721 to 4,730 of 6156
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrygoss View Post
    Or someone left the computer open and Dougie walked past
    I don't want to get technical or anything, but alcohol IS a solution

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    Earlier on I saw that the Aquanauts Facebook reposted a pro brexit image (of the "colluding with foreign powers intent to harm us" type).Quickly this attracted less than pleased responses including one who person who claimed that isn't the first time the company's page has shared stuff like this.Quickly the comments were deleted and then the whole post. I didn't think to snap a screen grab before it was gone.Did anyone else see it or others?You would hope it is a loose canon employee with the more rationale business aware co-workers deleting these posts once seen....
    As in the Plymouth one, or the Kingston one?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Honestly, the behaviour of the entire political class over the last few months or years has made the UK seem a bit like a guy who's had a serious nervous breakdown at work; his employers might well keep him on but everybody knows that his career's basically finished and that he'll no longer be trusted with any important stuff.

I'm on the naughty step. Back when I'm good.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
    Honestly, the behaviour of the entire political class over the last few months or years has made the UK seem a bit like a guy who's had a serious nervous breakdown at work; his employers might well keep him on but everybody knows that his career's basically finished and that he'll no longer be trusted with any important stuff.
    If only it were genuine mental illness rather than cynical dishonesty. Our PM has already been sacked twice for his lies and his ex-boss max Hastings says he (Johnson) is not fit to hold public office.

Whatever belief people had in our democratic system is long shot down. Both sides of the debate have reason to doubt that anyone represents their views any more.

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sim667 View Post
    As in the Plymouth one, or the Kingston one?
    Plymouth one
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    If only it were genuine mental illness rather than cynical dishonesty. Our PM has already been sacked twice for his lies and his ex-boss max Hastings says he (Johnson) is not fit to hold public office.

Whatever belief people had in our democratic system is long shot down. Both sides of the debate have reason to doubt that anyone represents their views any more.
    There was an interview on R4 a few weeks back with Max Hastings: it was fairly obvious that Borris is not on his Christmas card list.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

The Gerasimov Doctrine has worked a treat ... if you belive they have such a doctrine of course
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think the "why" matters much any more. Even if the UK were to revoke article 50 it's never going to recover the status it had within Europe.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
    I don't think the "why" matters much any more. Even if the UK were to revoke article 50 it's never going to recover the status it had within Europe.
    If it weren't such an important issue for all concerned (on all sides) I think we would be a laughing stock given the way every step has been farcical :
    1) Referendum - lies and deceit from all parties which should have negated the result.
    2) PM No 1 makes a run for it after realising the extent of the screw up he made
    3) Article 50 triggering - triggering article 50 before starting any negotiations (in clear contravention of the Leave campaigns written documentation)
    4) UK negotiation teams half assed approach - virtually no plan going in apart from "This will be the easiest deal ever"
    5) Failure to get a deal that a) achieved separation from EU and b) maintained the GFA - impossible dream as the two are pretty much mutually exclusive due to border issues
    6) Multiple failures by PM2 to get deal 1 passed in Commons
    7) PM 2 ran away
    8) PM 3 voted in and proceeds to lose every vote in the Commons to date
    9) PM 3 prorogues parliament in an unconstitutional manner and loses case in the Supreme court
    10) PM 3 proposes deal 2 which stands less chance than deal 1
    11) PM 3 proposes having cake and eating it as he can both comply with Benn act (as stated in Court proceedings) and perform no deal (which is expressly forbidden by Benn act)

You would honestly think that even tin pot dictatorships get things better than the shambles above.

I'm on the naughty step. Back when I'm good.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    You would honestly think that even tin pot dictatorships get things better than the shambles above.
    I think it is going well. The objective is to turn the UK into a more US style country with lower rights, virtually no welfare and much greater income inequality. This is not a universally popular move and probably quite hard to achieve electorally. If you cannot get people to vote these changes in through honest debate then it is necessary to fabricate a scenario that can be used as cover to effect the changes by duplicity. For the far right of the Tory party this is the goal and it is on track. The bigotry towards foreigners is a time trusted technique for getting a change in governance.

Tin Pot dictators generally are experts at manipulating this bigotry. Idi Amin was in the news this week, some anniversary IIRC. Whatever. Many of us will remember the Ugandan Asians coming here to escape his brutal regime. The country did not do well without it's shopkeepers and business owners but it was undoubtedly more black and less brown. Zimbabwe too - the white farmers were booted out turning the bread basket of Africa into a basket case. Farage, Johnson and the Make-Britain-White-Again people are playing the same trick. Our economy will do badly but there will be less Poles and other assorted East Europeans. For many Brexit supporters that is reward enough, just as it was for the Ugandan and Zimbabwean voters.

Despite your comprehensive list of failures it is interesting to note that most polls suggest that a general election would leave the country much as it already is.