Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 524 of 530 FirstFirst ... 24424474514522523524525526 ... LastLast
Results 5,231 to 5,240 of 5297
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Once a vehicle has been manufactured you might as well use it and wear it out. As long as it doesn't pump out smoke and you don't add to the city pollution problem it is actually more green to keep on with a vehicle you already have. It's the pre DPF diesels that are the main problem (for cities) and those with the DFP full or (illegally) removed. Older petrols tend to be pretty OK, although both petrol and diesel have NOx issues if you go back more than 5-6 years. I have no issue with running them (my Suzuki is on an '09 plate) if they are not city transport. I have to agree the rush to hybrid is doing no favours to the CO2 issue.
    Mine's one of the ones fully on your shit list then, no DPF, no EGR*, mechanical pump. But I'll keep on keeping on with it until they don't sell MIG welding wire any more 23 year old and will probably still run in another 20 year where the modern electronic version will have been crushed down and manufactured again 10 times over. Which is just as well cos I'm not a rich man who can go out and spunk £much on a new one, or £less on a new-ish one because all the complexity of them means they're unreliable.

Don't go anywhere near a city if I can help it, godawful places. And there's no enough malt in scotland to convince me to drive into london.

Wonder if they'll ban me from Newcastle? Wouldn't want any of my particulates getting sucked into one of the 15,000 hp ferry engines (that don't have a DPF on them)!

*Another automotive TLA that's a pain in the backside. Bypass them and you usually see 5-10 more mpg. Same with DMFs, absolute shiteofathing when they break up and you need to replace them, if they don't knacker the gearbox mainshaft or snap the crank in the process.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Interesting article in the Spectator: "Britain is booming despite Brexit":
    https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2020/0...espite-brexit/

Theres 2 issues here.

I am sick and tired of people saying "see we are fine having left the EU"

Please be advised, we haven't left yet.

We are still enjoying the benefits of being meembers of the EU and with a cheep pound to boot we can make hay whilst the sun shines

2:

What we have done as of January 2020 is leave the table. The table where the decisions are made RE the future of the EU and its place in this world as a super power in the making.

Personally I feel that's something to be sad about.

[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Mark Chase; 27-02-2020 at 09:35 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    The one fact about ceasing EU membership is removing freedom of movement (ignore the ongoing talks and costs for now).

Immigration policy as a member of the EU was merely controlling non-EU people as all EU people have/had rights to work here. Post EU membership places full control of immigration policy back with HMG which should enable a different balance to be set.

Time will tell.

Quite so I mean May REMOVING the cap on the number of immigrant workers the NHS can employ is a good indicator that we will be encouraging MORE immigrant workers is it not?

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase View Post
    Quite so I mean May REMOVING the cap on the number of immigrant workers the NHS can employ is a good indicator that we will be encouraging MORE immigrant workers is it not?
    erm.....

not if its coupled with other restrictions with the opposite effect ?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Yup.

The engine designers have done what was asked of them and made them more fuel efficient and reliable. As a result the wanker market has grown in size until it is more or less half of the total vehicle sales. As an example when the Toyota 4WD pickup first came to the UK it was a farmer's truck with a 1.8 engine. After a while it became a 2.0 but was still in the 35+ mpg range if driven sensibly. Then the craze for twatty double cabs and hey we have the Artic with US level gas guzzler spec.

I am relieved to see that the UK trend has however moved downward with the advent of the dual mass flywheel. The latest Isuzu for example is now a 1.9 and much improved on the old lunker. New Transit has 2.0 all new engine too. Roll on the new CO2 limits from the EU

Quite a few years ago most of the UK car fleets were 2.0, that was until the UK Gov hit them with tax on anything over 1800.
    Before that the next largest tended to be 1.6lt and eco versions 1.3. So the fleet buyers wanting to keep costs down told the
    manufacturers to make an 1800 and that's why so many cars are 1797cc.

It's really easy to make major changes to emissions and individual practices by simply cutting the size of engine with the added
    bonus that it doesn't hit rural communities.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    Quite a few years ago most of the UK car fleets were 2.0, that was until the UK Gov hit them with tax on anything over 1800.
    Before that the next largest tended to be 1.6lt and eco versions 1.3. So the fleet buyers wanting to keep costs down told the
    manufacturers to make an 1800 and that's why so many cars are 1797cc.

It's really easy to make major changes to emissions and individual practices by simply cutting the size of engine with the added
    bonus that it doesn't hit rural communities.
    New volvo are all 1.9, 4 cylinder engines. Between 150 and 250 bhp out put though depending on spec.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    New volvo are all 1.9, 4 cylinder engines. Between 150 and 250 bhp out put though depending on spec.
    That's the trouble, if the 150bhp can do 130mph and 8-9 secs 0-60, what justification is there for 250bhp?

Limit domestic cars to 100mph tops, It will still do that on the M/way at around 3k revs etc. in 6th gear.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    That's the trouble, if the 150bhp can do 130mph and 8-9 secs 0-60, what justification is there for 250bhp?

Limit domestic cars to 100mph tops, It will still do that on the M/way at around 3k revs etc. in 6th gear.
    speed limiters on cars?

EU legislation from 2022?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    speed limiters on cars?

EU legislation from 2022?
    To me thatís the ultimate goal, speed limits set by emitters on the side of the road, cars unable to exceed this speed.

Speeding isnít big and it isnít clever.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren A View Post
    To me that’s the ultimate goal, speed limits set by emitters on the side of the road, cars unable to exceed this speed.

Speeding isn’t big and it isn’t clever.
    Technology is there for every driver to have a chip that plugs into any car that monitors their driving. It would allow a full upload of all traffic information from every car on the road (Waze already does it to an extent - like hive traffic), charge per mile driven, rewards for sensible driving practices and fines/penalties for dangerous/unlawful driving