Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    It does slightly remind me of a pyramid scheme where, at the bottom, you start working for very little as a DM/instructor (maybe shop discounts or near token payments for courses etc), then as you work up the ladder (IE/IDC) you get bigger rewards. If it wan't for the people on the bottom rungs getting very little though, there would be virtually no money in the entire thing.
    I was basing the MLM scheme comment on the need to train a certain number of lesser qualifications to achieve the higher qualification e.g. a Master Instructor needs to have issued 150 certifications of which at least 50 at Adventure Diver or higher, including 15 specialty divers, 5 rescue divers, 5 divemasters and 5 assistant instructors.

GUE Tech and Cave Instructor johnkendall's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManualOverride View Post
    So if:
    • PADI is a pyramid scheme
    • BSAC is a nightmare to get trained in a reasonable time frame unless you happen to live near a very active training club
    • And GUE has no currently scheduled courses in the UK (seriously it's true!)

Is it any wonder there are fewer new divers to replace the farts!
    Do we need a new training organization? Or do one of the big three need to step up and make some changes?
    There are some GUE Classes scheduled in the UK (for example, I'm running a fundies class at Capernwray 25 to 28th October) but there appears to be a big in the search system. So many thanks for finding that, and I've passed it onto our IT guys to fix.

Thanks
    John

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    John Kendall
    GUE Instructor Trainer, Tech and Cave Instructor www.johnkendall.com
    www.divinganalysers.com - Nitrox, Trimix and Single Gas Analysers
    www.santi-store.co.uk - Santi Drysuits, Undersuits and Accessories

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Struth, there's somewhat of a step up in training there! Shirley there's a Fundies course scheduled. Obviously can't do cave training in the UK as there's so few UK locations to dive backmount.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnkendall View Post
    There are some GUE Classes scheduled in the UK (for example, I'm running a fundies class at Capernwray 25 to 28th October) but there appears to be a big in the search system. So many thanks for finding that, and I've passed it onto our IT guys to fix.
    That explains it! Thanks John, also worth pointing out that until today I had no idea GUE did beginners courses, looks like it's a common misconception.
    Fundies is on my to-do list at some point (probably after Advanced diver), I'm following the kit config for it anyway.

Anyway sorry for the digression... I think we were talking about a news article?

GUE Tech and Cave Instructor johnkendall's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    No worries, thanks for spotting the glitch, we can now get it fixed

Drop me a mail John "at" GUE.com and we can start a chat about fundies. I'll do my best to dispel any fallacies

Thanks
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by ManualOverride View Post
    That explains it! Thanks John, also worth pointing out that until today I had no idea GUE did beginners courses, looks like it's a common misconception.
    Fundies is on my to-do list at some point (probably after Advanced diver), I'm following the kit config for it anyway.

Anyway sorry for the digression... I think we were talking about a news article?
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    John Kendall
    GUE Instructor Trainer, Tech and Cave Instructor www.johnkendall.com
    www.divinganalysers.com - Nitrox, Trimix and Single Gas Analysers
    www.santi-store.co.uk - Santi Drysuits, Undersuits and Accessories

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    personally I think DL is the easiest course to run.

If the branch or region runs PRM one day and O2 admin the next that's 90% of DL knocked out in a weekend. the rest you can fit in around actual diving.
    +1 for this - its knocking off the experience dives that take the time in my experience but generally you can pick them off in normal diving

The rescue stuff is a bit of a logistical challenge but maybe running a PRM course would make that easier too - simply by attracting more bodies to spread the load - I never considered that

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    +1 for this - its knocking off the experience dives that take the time in my experience but generally you can pick them off in normal diving

The rescue stuff is a bit of a logistical challenge but maybe running a PRM course would make that easier too - simply by attracting more bodies to spread the load - I never considered that
    That was the longest road block when I did my DL. It was mainly just having to get people together to do it. It's a bit of an request asking people to give up a day for one or two people to do the rescue stuff.

In the end we did it on day we were blown out diving when at Plymouth for a week, and got everyone on the trip involved as a refresher. This worked out well as it ment we had a club rib to use as well.

If you can work it into a day on a trip as a contingency if the weather looks rubbish it's an alternative to not doing much.

If we hadn't done it then I'd have booked o to a regional prm course to get it done.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It’s odd that people are finding that there aren’t new people coming through because at our club we are growing. We are getting new divers in and can see that we are going to struggle to have enough instructors - we aim to have one per trainee for the wet stuff and do group lectures.

The time taken to get through the courses is inversely proportional to the effort the trainee takes so we have had people race through them and get in lots of diving along the way whilst others have taken a more relaxed approach. Others have a life outside diving so even though committed are unable to get in the hours in the water that they would wish. Even further along the scale are the likes of me who is just one item short of completing Dive Leader, and has been for some time, having started the DL course some 12 years ago - I wish I was joking
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Is it something critical to diving, or just some bit of bureaucratic guff?

Is there a point that those that dive, dive. I do so hope the other part of that expression isn't applicable.... Those that can, do, those that can't, teach.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is there a point that those that dive, dive. I do so hope the other part of that expression isn't applicable.... Those that can, do, those that can't, teach.

Well, you know the other part isn't applicable.

Even those that can't dive still do.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It depends.
    There are a few instructors out there who do fook all other than instruct. There are other instructors out there who do shit loads of big dives at a high level and do a bit of instructing as well. And everything in between.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast