Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you're doing a full (copy) backup, it'll take yonks.

You need to look in to incremental backups. That way you only have to copy over the bits that change.

No idea how you'd actually implement it on home kit mind.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_6301 View Post
    If you're doing a full (copy) backup, it'll take yonks.

You need to look in to incremental backups. That way you only have to copy over the bits that change.

No idea how you'd actually implement it on home kit mind.
    Synology Hyper Backup does it for you. I just checked and the last one took 6 minutes.

Matt.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Synology Hyper Backup does it for you. I just checked and the last one took 6 minutes.

Matt.
    Synology seems to get good press on this - maybe I simply need to change my backup application because its currently taking hours.

I was copying some data between external drives last night using both a PC and a MacBook Pro (basically sorting out some archive stuff onto 2 identical 1TB external drives) - I thought I would be smart and do it using both machines at the same time but it would have been quicker to do it twice using the Mac - it took about 1/5 of the time the PC did. Based on that I can just back the data up to 1TB drives by copying a drive rather than "run a backup" as I don't need to bother backing up the applications or the OS.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I run SugarSync, works across all platforms plus a web front end, and integrates with IOS Files, the main reason I chose it is that you can pick your existing filesfolders from multiple devices to sync, you don't have to move or copy your data into a dropbox esq folder.

I also have a local USB HDD that I run timemachine on, but that is purely for my Macbook system backup. Local backups are fine until you get burgled! I know I learnt the hard way. It's not always just about a device failure.
    Last edited by topper133; 17-07-2018 at 11:17 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    I am kind of hitting a wall with my home backups ... what do others do?
    At home I have an old laptop for historic reasons running W10 that acts as a kind of mini server[1] I've never got around to moving it to Linux, the keyboard and battery are bollixed so it really is a headless server. There's an old ReadyNas Duo which has mostly MP3 music and books / plays on and too which both the personal PCs mine and Mrs B use either Rsync or Robocopy to mirror the data.

So one copy of personal data is on the ReadyNas, that data is synchronised every other day to my newer Synology NAS. I have until the end of next month an unlimited Amazon drive subscription[2] so the Synology Sync client encrypts and then copies that data, plus my calibre library, plus photos, video, plex etc to Amazon. I am also making a second copy of the same data with Synology Hyperbackup. I then manually every month or so take a snapshot to a portable drive using Synctoy.

That gives me 3 local copies and two in the cloud, albeit the same cloud.

[1] i.e. it runs get_iplayer daily to pick up my PVR stuff, runs a torrent client and syncs data between my two NAS. There's an instance of Duplicarti running which encrypts and then backs it up daily to my Amazon drive.
    [2] I am using about 7TB but could cut it to under 5 by dropping the hyperbackup, still Amazon now want to charge per TB at more than they did charge for unlimited. The plan is to move it all to different 365 onedrives if that works.
    --
    Ian
    "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" Denis Diderot

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    Synology seems to get good press on this - maybe I simply need to change my backup application because its currently taking hours.

I was copying some data between external drives last night using both a PC and a MacBook Pro (basically sorting out some archive stuff onto 2 identical 1TB external drives) - I thought I would be smart and do it using both machines at the same time but it would have been quicker to do it twice using the Mac - it took about 1/5 of the time the PC did. Based on that I can just back the data up to 1TB drives by copying a drive rather than "run a backup" as I don't need to bother backing up the applications or the OS.
    For external disks it depends how you are attaching them. USB3 is quick. I copy files from my camera to my NAS normally connected via USB3 and using a wire and it is blisteringly fast. A fully back-up from scratch of the NAS is only a few hours (ext4 and USB3).

But yes - you need to take a look at your setup. Also make sure you can restore as I have made backups before that wouldn't...

Matt.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by topper133 View Post
    I run SugarSync, works across all platforms plus a web front end, and integrates with IOS Files, the main reason I chose it is that you can pick your existing filesfolders from multiple devices to sync, you don't have to move or copy your data into a dropbox esq folder.

I also have a local USB HDD that I run timemachine on, but that is purely for my Macbook system backup. Local backups are fine until you get burgled! I know I learnt the hard way. It's not always just about a device failure.
    Synology CloudStation does this too. You pick the folder and it syncs to the NAS. I use it to keep MyDocuments backed-up to the NAS, it also works like a time-machine where I can roll-back the last N copies (I forget what N is, 32 maybe).

You definitely need an offsite to cover theft (although my NAS is locked down) and fire.

If 2 people were to collaborate you can sync 2 Synology NAS over the internet...

Matt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12