Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    On radio 4 just now they were talking about packaging them up and dragging them out.
    However it is done, it will be and has been a great achievement. Kudos to all involved. Fingers crossed.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It was the British cave divers that found them

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44690688
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I am sure Rick told me he brought the British Army expedition members (stuck in a cave in Mexico) out one by one after teaching them to dive. They can't afford a mass panic so one by one is the order of the day and I bet they will have the first ones out today or tomorrow latest, weather permitting.... fingers crossed.

The biggest laugh of course is that Rick is self-taught on everything, he wouldn't have an instructor rating at any diver level .... but there's no one better to be in a cave with... there are a few equals of course: John, Jason, Mike and others.

I have seen John Volanthen at work recovering someone up a 20ft waterfall, single handed.... while Rick kept the girls company :-) . Both very very fit, very tough, very strong - no one stronger mentally.

They had best reserve the big stage for Rick and John at Eurotek this year.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Not so sure about the need for no mounts as after all these kids walked in there?

However, its apparently no-v low viz and strong currents.

These kids have already demonstrated they are incredibly brave and strong willed, but that's a challenge for most divers let alone new to diving divers.

The responsibility on the rescue divers shoulders would be enormous.

Its one thing pulling of the dive on your own, but a totally different thing handling a novice through the same dive.

Didn't I read it took 90mins to get to them? That's a bare minimum of twin 12s and could force a gas switch underwater even then if the SAC goes mad or theres problems it could need big reserves.

Those kids look tiny, I cant see them in twin 15s

No wonder they are considering drilling down to them to rescue

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase View Post
    Didn't I read it took 90mins to get to them? That's a bare minimum of twin 12s and could force a gas switch underwater even then if the SAC goes mad or theres problems it could need big reserves.
    It might have but that might have been including finding belays and the way on as well, the direct route could be a lot quicker. But we are only guessing.

Have you seen "difficult decisions in Sleet's Gill" ?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I guess if you have never dived the overhead and shit vis are not going to scare you as much as it does a diver. I doubt any of them will ever forget it though.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase View Post

Those kids look tiny, I cant see them in twin 15s

No wonder they are considering drilling down to them to rescue
    If they are as tiny as they look they wont be able to huff through a huge amount of gas (lung volume increases with the cube of height - I'm 5'10" so a kid who is 4' will have a lung violume less than a third of mine and so a SAC of maybe 15 lpm - even if he is freaking out). Is the cave completely flooded or a series of sumps?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    If they are as tiny as they look they wont be able to huff through a huge amount of gas (lung volume increases with the cube of height - I'm 5'10" so a kid who is 4' will have a lung violume less than a third of mine and so a SAC of maybe 15 lpm - even if he is freaking out). Is the cave completely flooded or a series of sumps?
    My wife weighs in at 50Kg and shes got a SAC of 25 on a normal dive

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    None of those boys can swim according to Beeb news site. However they are extracted is going to be a logistical nightmare.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast