Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Morgan View Post
    Cheers Steve, I know very little about cave diving as I don't have the inclination, and probably not the balls, to try it.
    I have no idea where the places you mention are so could you tell me why they would be different?
    Even the media are trying to get talking to "cave experts" I just watched one from the states giving his opinion, last I'd known of him before that was that he had managed to get cave divers banned from a popular site because of the damage he'd caused.
    As I understand it, the Thai cave has sections of small underwater passage and very low/no visibility. The depths aren't great, certainly less than 30m. The techniques involve lots of touch contact, use of robust guidelines to actively navigate by hand and limited communication is possible whilst underwater. It is more of a solo-diving mindset, it is very difficult to communicate a problem or have your buddy fix it in these conditions. Getting stuck is a genuine possibility if the line is pulled into a lower height area - a so called 'line trap'.

The caves I quoted are some of the most popular caves in France for cave diving. They have much larger main conduits - think garage door up to church-sized. The sumps are long and deep. Vis 5-15m. The dive in, and hence the necessary dive out, are trimix dives with significant decompression. People are now regularly exploring beyond the first deep sumps of these caves and run the risk of injury or kit failure. The GUE teams operating in France are well set up to operate in this kind of environment and the safety setup to deal with a problem is significant. Lots of teamwork involved.

The team at Cabouy are climbing and rigging rope systems beyond a 2km long, 30m deep continuous sump. Beyond that they did 1km of dry caving and then a 100m deep trimix dive. They have built rescue stretchers for the possible underwater evacuation of injured divers / climbers. The list of people able to rescue them from there is pretty short so they took precautions themselves. Map here : http://www.thehiddenriverproject.org...uysse_plan.pdf

Our project accurately surveying St Georges has been more diving orientated so far, but has now reached the start of sump 3 which is shallower and more like caving. Sump 1 is 400m long, 30m deep. Sump 2 is 1100m long, 75m deep. Then there is a section of dry caving/climbing to reach Sump 3. The ability to self-rescue from this kind of area is essential and we have appropriate reserves in place to do so. Map here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/watp4mkphc..._v1.4.pdf?dl=0

Ressel is even more exposed at the far reaches. S1: 3095 m (80m deep); S2: 434 m; S3: 89 m; S4: 5 m, S5: 242 m; S6: 1335 m. http://plongeesout.com/ressel_new.html
    Last edited by Steve Clark; 09-07-2018 at 06:00 PM.

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerjd View Post
    I'd forgotten about such fun things. My school was opposite a small Territorial Army Barracks (Chetwynd Barracks, the one in Prenton, Birkenhead, not Chilwell). Wednesday afternoons with the CCF. Shooting .22 rifles on the ranges opposite. AEF flights, with aerobatics. Full day Saturday at RAF Sealand with the VGS (lolling about in the sun, occasionally holding a wing tip level and running like hell for the first 20m as the winch pulled, before the wings found lift - for a flight or two in a glider at the end of the day). We had a DofE Section as well. They even did the Ten Tors once.

I am actually starting to pity my daughter now.....
    OMG- Birkenhead School ?

When ?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnkendall View Post
    I don't believe so, However I know it's the in-vogue thing to take the piss out of GUE, but I don't think this is an appropriate time/place for it. I know and have dived with most of the UK guys who are out there at the moment doing an incredible and very risky job, and have nothing but admiration and respect for them. I look forward to sharing a beer with any of them next time I see them, and giving them my congratulations and thanks.

John
    p.s Two of the UK GUE instructors are also members of the CDG, and the others all have more sense
    John
    No joking on my part, it was a genuine question, I know that there were volunteers from Australia there and they could have been GUE.. for all I know..

Clearly not a time for banter.. donít be so quick to go on the offensive please
    Bacon is good for you!.....................................

Established TDF Member turnerjd's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCheeky Monkey View Post
    OMG- Birkenhead School ?

When ?
    85-92

You?

Cancelled Account
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Confirmed 10 boys now out of the cave. If I’m honest whilst holding hope I was finding it difficult to be too optomistic. This is really quite stunning news. A possible 100% result? How bloody good would that be?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerjd View Post
    85-92

You?
    79-85 - missed you !

but i remember the smell of cordite at Chetwynd range and the declaration as you left "I have no live rounds or empty cases in my possession, Sir"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by braun View Post
    Confirmed 10 boys now out of the cave. If I’m honest whilst holding hope I was finding it difficult to be too optomistic. This is really quite stunning news. A possible 100% result? How bloody good would that be?
    agreed, but not 100% though - let's not forget the poor guy who died

Cancelled Account
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCheeky Monkey View Post
    agreed, but not 100% though - let's not forget the poor guy who died
    Yes, sorry. I meant........... yes you’re right.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by braun View Post
    Yes, sorry. I meant........... yes you’re right.
    It is exciting though, and it is a huge result - didn't mean to diminish that - I just can't help but wonder if that poor guy's death was preventable

Where'd The Bubbles Go ....? Capt Morgan's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The rescue is rumoured to be finished with all having been extracted and in reasonable health.

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast