X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamesp
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Neilwood
    Agreed. The compensatory damages claim is quite small at $75,000 but who knows what the compensatory damages will be. My hope is that Mr Unsworth and his wife are able to live a good comfortable life on the basis of the payout.
    What is Musk hoping to achieve with fighting it?

Stand up, admit "I was a cock", pay legal costs, and he could probably settle it for a good meal and with better PR.

Comment

• cazyoung
      I still don't have a member
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by jamesp
      What is Musk hoping to achieve with fighting it?

Stand up, admit "I was a cock", pay legal costs, and he could probably settle it for a good meal and with better PR.
      He is an arrogant barsteward who can never back down and admit a mistake. Bit like Randy Andy really...............
      A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
      I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Comment

• OrangeHead
        TDF Member
        • Jan 2013

Just finished Liam Cochrane's 'The Cave' - also a good read.
        It's given me an appetite for kao pad krapao though :-)

Comment

• BenL
          Gimme a medal
          • Dec 2012

Vernon Unsworth, who assisted in the Thailand cave rescue, had deemed Musk’s miniature submarine a ‘PR stunt’

I've not gained any sympathy for Musk, but this is turning into a shitfest for Unsworth.

Why didn't he just say "It's highly unlikely a six-foot long rigid "submarine" was an unlikely rescue vessel in a convoluted cave passage"?

It's all a bit unseemly.
          Last edited by BenL; 06-12-2019, 01:04 AM.
          I don't want to get technical or anything, but alcohol IS a solution

Comment

• Allan Carr
            Established TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by BenL
            https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...sworth-apology

I've not gained any sympathy for Musk, but this is turning into a shitfest for Unsworth.

Why didn't he just say "It's highly unlikely a six-foot long rigid "submarine" was an unlikely rescue vessel in a convoluted cave passage"?

It's all a bit unseemly.
            Not the best choice of words but when Musk stormed in and effectively said he was taking over, it was hardly the most diplomatic thing to do either.

Comment

• Neilwood
              Established TDF Member
              • Oct 2015

Worth noting that Musk apologised in his testimony which is a distinct change of tack from his actions prior to the trial.

Musk, in his position as a public figure and CEO of a number of major companies, really should know better than to fire of a dodgy comment like than in social media. He then chose to compound it by repeating the allegations (contrary to advice given by his advisors). I can understand he might be frustrated initially at Unsworth's comments, which were ill advised, but to make such a baseless comment as "pedo guy" and then follow it but by "I bet a signed dollar its true" and then be caught out by a reporter "stop protecting child rapists" over the course of months means he had time to think about his comment, carry out an investigation which proved it to be baseless, and still double and treble down on the original comment.

Unsworth's comments have to be seen as a spur of the moment comment during a TV interview during what must have been some of the highest emotional and mental stress imagninable. He was speaking from the viewpoint of someone that was working very long hours on a very stressful potential rescue where, even with the most optimistic viewpoint, they thought they might lose 2-3 kids if not more by bringing them out. Some of the people involved even worried that none of them might survive but thought they had to try something.

To me, if Musk had apologised after the first comment and said no more he might have walled away without any issue. To compound the original comment appears, to me anyway, to be a deliberate course of action.

Comment

• Spirit of Guernsey
                Established WTF Member
                • Dec 2012

As in most conflicts, if both parties had apologised, we would all have forgotten about it by now.
                There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
                Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

Comment

• Steve C
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

Tesla's founder did not defame a UK caver who helped in the Thai cave rescue, a US jury finds.

Ooops!! Thats goiung to be expensive for Mr Unsworth!

Comment

• Paulo
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Steve C
                    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50695593

Ooops!! Thats goiung to be expensive for Mr Unsworth!
                    Wow!!!!
                    If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• Paulo
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

I saw a news report that a 2nd Thai Seal has died as a result of this incident. Seemingly he had a blood infection that he picked up in the rescue

Comment

• OrangeHead
                        TDF Member
                        • Jan 2013

13 LOST - The Untold Story of the Thai Cave Rescue

Subtitles: Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Spanish, French, Dutch, Russian, Ukrainian, German, English...UPDATE:During the post-production of the documentary "13 Lo...

That's this evening's viewing covered then

Comment

• sim667
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by OrangeHead
                          13 LOST - The Untold Story of the Thai Cave Rescue

Subtitles: Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Spanish, French, Dutch, Russian, Ukrainian, German, English...UPDATE:During the post-production of the documentary "13 Lo...

That's this evening's viewing covered then
                          Private link
                          Simscubadives on youtube
                          My general photography on youtube

Comment

• OrangeHead
                            TDF Member
                            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by sim667
                            Private link
                            Funnily enough I noticed yesterday that one of the videos in my watch list had turned private - now I know what it was

I dare say you can still find it, eg by searching on youtube or elsewhere.

The guy has something of an agenda! But I enjoyed watching it nonetheless.

Comment

• Paulo
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Dec 2012

2 years already

Comment

• ebt
                                #keepittea
                                • Dec 2012

Interesting paper mentioned by the author on freakbook today @ DHM journal
                                Free "cloud" store with Dropbox // Cheap Mobile SIM only deals with GiffGaff

Comment

Working...