Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bsac or padi?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bsac or padi?

Hi all in a few weeks / months me and my son are hoping to start our diving course .
    now he has a below knee amputation and I'm a bit of a fatty , but will be hitting gym this week to start shifting some of it .
    So what do people recommend padi or bsac to do our course ? I don't want this thread to turn into a padi or bsac bashing thread just looking for some advice .
    We have been looking at local bsac clubs from south wales newport / cardiff ect .
    Or do we just fly off to the red sea and do a padi course in the warm ?
    I also have high blood pressure which i take ramipril for and is under control .
    If anyone is from my area and could recommend a club We would be very grateful .
    Thanks in advance .
    Paul .

Sir Logun
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    horses for courses really - esp for the entry level quals. Some people prefer the mentoring type environment that BSAC provides (assuming you find a good club with quality instructors that is), but it will take much longer to get the qualification than a padi qual (not so much that the course has more material, but that its delivered by volunteer instructors so generally training happens at weekends etc.). Bear in mind that if you go abroad and do a course in warm water you will still need some top up training for drysuit and the like if you want to dive in the UK.

bear in mind you can crossover from padi to bsac (or vice versa) so if you find a decent bsac club but it will take you longer than you would like to do the qual then you can go and do a padi course somewhere warm (or at a uk school), then head back and do drysuit training with the club (assuming you did the training abroad), dive with them under the limits of your padi qualification, then if you want to progress and do further training with the club you can do the bsac sports diver qualification. when I was at a uni club we got a lot of people who joined the club in this position, having done a padi qualification overseas during a holiday.

With this in mind I would say choose the club/school rather than the agency, its far more important that you feel comfortable with the outfit/instructors than which 4 letters are stamped on your qcard.
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    I hereby decree that all on this site should now refer to you as Sir Logun.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thank you mate there is a bsac club near me but I'm still waiting to here from them as we would like to dive in the UK too.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Drop me a PM Taffy. I am not far from Newport and dive regularly at NDAC Chepstow. I am a recreational instructor but not currently niche enough for what are quite specific needs. I'll be very happy to advise and guide you on your way though! One of my aspirations is to get qualified as an Instructor for disabled learner divers so really keen to help you both!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Iíve sent you a pm

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd look over the bridge at Severnside - very active BSAC club. Then go somewhere warm and do a PADI course ;-)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would suggest the first step is speaking to your doctor and getting the all clear to dive.

Once you have that, (in my humble opinion), look at where you plan on diving. If you want to dive only while on holiday, go PADI. If you plan on diving mainly in the UK, contact your nearby BSAC clubs. Find out how often they dive... especially in winter. Some are very active and are worth joining, other's tend to go a bit quiet in winter.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hey, give the BSAC Wales coach an email, heíll be able to help you find a branch that would suit you. wales.coach@bsac.com

Davs
    Diving with University of Nottingham Sub Aqua Club. Views are my own and not representative, of anything, not even the views on cheese. Woz smells, of cheese

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinal View Post
    I would suggest the first step is speaking to your doctor and getting the all clear to dive.

Once you have that, (in my humble opinion), look at where you plan on diving. If you want to dive only while on holiday, go PADI. If you plan on diving mainly in the UK, contact your nearby BSAC clubs. Find out how often they dive... especially in winter. Some are very active and are worth joining, other's tend to go a bit quiet in winter.
    Once my son is up and about ( he had his first walk last week ) then i will be seeing a dive doc for a medical .If i get the all clear then i will look more into it .
    As for where we want to dive it would mostly be holiday diving BUT i do like the look of some of the places over here too .I was talking to a bloke recently who dived scapa flow i never heard of it until he mentioned it .I looked it up on youtube and thought i would love to go there diving the old wrecks ect .But i'm jumping the gun a bit there i think.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I take ramipril and have a yearly review with the doctor/nurse. As long as my blood pressure is under control and I have not had a medication change recently, I have no problem getting signed off by a diving doctor.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast