Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Like a real diver but smaller apparently purple vonny's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marsa Nakari Trip Report

After years of liveaboards and many trips to Marsa Shagra, we decided to visit Marsa Nakari for my big birthday trip this year with a small group of friends.
    Marsa Nakari is about 45 minutes South by road from Marsa Shagra. It is smaller, cosier and quieter.

I would say that the house reef is not as good as Shagra in some ways - Shagra house reef is spectacular. However, the "topography" of Nakari reef was lovely with lots of small inlets at 6 - 8 metres, especially on the South reef. Entering some of these inlets was like swimming in an aquarium, others were like entering a watery cathedral. The coral formations were gorgeous.

The camp itself was so much smaller than Shagra. We stayed in a Royal tent (glamping) right on the edge of the water.

Our tent was second along from the left. This was a hop and a skip to the dive shed and the shower block. 2 hops and 2 skips to the restaurant which served amazing food every day.
    Birthday celebrations lasted for a whole week

We visited Habili Nakiri - a beautuful offshore site with large pinacles, Dolphin House - which delivered a massive pod of dolphins as we arrived, and Anemone City - the clue is in the name.

last few photos are of Dolphin House

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Anemone City is a lovely site (although we had anemone village on our House Reef too)

Barny did some free diving

while we bimbled about bothering the fish and playing with an octopus

At the end of every house reef dive, we collected plastic waste, I did not get photos of this but we must have removed 3 - 4 kilos of plastic easily. The shape of the bay and the prevailing wind meant that plastic collected at the South end of the bay each day. It was heartbreaking to see the amount of rubbish and also upsetting to see the amount of plastic litter at the side of the road, including seeing Egyptians chucking plastic out of their car windows.

We were there at the start of Ramadan and I am sure the staff were suffering and perhaps not at their best - it was boiling hot. But overall, most were really helpful, especially the guys in the restaurant who pulled out all the stops for birthday celebrations.

Would I go back to Nakari? Yes definitely. I would also like to visit Lahami which is further South, more remote and next to Fury Shoals.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Love Nakari as well and you have summed it up.
    Quick Question was that Shaun B in the picture because if it was, then what a small world

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes, it is Shaun B.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Wow small world indeed - heard you had a blast !!

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    And still gorgeous at 60.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We really did have a blast - I think we laughed every minute of every day and quite a few mask floods and squeels underwater too.
    Steelmonkey - ta!!! I've never been happier.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I need to persuade 'er indoors to go back there. When we went quite a few years back now (maybe 8 years?), the customer service was shit (all aspects related to diving anyway), the place reeked and the entire group of 20 odd bar me and one other chap got a horrific stomach bug. Put us off a bit...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    I need to persuade 'er indoors to go back there. When we went quite a few years back now (maybe 8 years?), the customer service was shit (all aspects related to diving anyway), the place reeked and the entire group of 20 odd bar me and one other chap got a horrific stomach bug. Put us off a bit...
    last time I went was about 9 years ago and it was awful and we transferred to Shagra after one day there. This time was a much, much better experience. I think it's under new management. We all loved it. I would go again definitely.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    Wow! Were you there at the same time as me? We had the exact same experience, stuck with a group of people we did't get on with, nearly everyone got REALLY sick in the middle of the trip and the reef was covered in rubbish from Marsa Alam.

A few years later they tried to "upgrade" us to Nakari in the middle of the night and we told them to drive us back to Shagra!

I'm glad it's being run better now. The Res Sea Dive Safari experience is truly amazing when it works...

Sharon