Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wrecked_Diver
    TDF Member
    • Feb 2014

Thanks for all of your replies everyone. I have read them all with interest.

My mind is made up and kubi gloves it is!

I’ll keep you all posted how I get on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Wrecked_Diver
      TDF Member
      • Feb 2014

So, today was the first day out with my newly fitted “Dry” gloves.

The water temperature was toasty and tbh I didn’t need to wear the “dry” gloves but I wanted to give them a bash.

Unfortunately they weren’t very dry so I’m looking for some more advice.

When I had the gloves fitted O’three also found a small leak in the left arm which they have repaired. I intermittently got a damp arm and could never really work out why.

Today I got wet, ring sleeves out wet! My pants also got damp!

I used a length of bungee between the neoprene cuff seals. I put a couple of dabs of the oil on the o rings (I also done this when I first got them.)

The rings pushed on and pulled off very easily.....possibly too easily?? Thinking about it I didn’t expel all of the air from my suit before jumping in. I immediately felt a little wet seep through and checked the rings were pushed home. I continued to get wet throughout the dive.

I’m kinda hoping I have over lubed the o rings and it’s a case of user error especially as both arms were wet. Is this a likely result? The gloves didn’t pop off and maybe they would have if this was the case?

Next step will be to dive with wet gloves and rule out a leak on the suit. I’m also going to give O’three a call for some advice as I’m sure it’s user error but if anyone has any thoughts on here, the more help the better!

I probably should have stuck to the, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it theory but it will be worth it come the winter, he says....hopefully!

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• OrangeHead
        TDF Member
        • Jan 2013

If you definitely didn't have the bungee caught between the rings, double-check that the gloves aren't creased under the 'glove-securing' o-ring and that that o-ring isn't right on the enge of the glove. Hold up the glove by the ring, fingers-down, and fill with water to see if any beads appear.

HTH

Comment

• Wibs
          Established TDF Member
          • Aug 2015

If they're the fitted variety, check that the outer suit-side seal is OK and that the O-ring isn't caught.

Happened to me when I got my suit. Removed the cuff seals; lightly greased them and refitted. Sorted the problem.

Comment

• Balanus
            TDF Member
            • Jan 2013

I too have recently had Kubis fitted to my O3 with neoprene cuffs. Although it’s blindingly obvious in hindsight I was surprised to find air leaking out of the gloves to the suit as well as in! I’ve tried using a couple of diameters of bungee in the wrist seal but I wondered how other folk manage this?

Comment

• colinicky
              Established TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

When you descend air will move to the gloves as you add air to the suit if this doesn't happen then the gloves will "squeeze" on your hands.
              On ascent you need air to move from gloves to the suit to be "dumped" . If this does not happen then air in gloves expands. Minimum that happens is you have surf hands in extreme situation to much air expansion held in glove makes it pop off & do its own ascent to the surface while you get cold hand !
              Yes I am speaking from experience with the original Sitech system years ago
              Does that answer your query ?
              I trust my rebreather implicitly I just don't trust the owner

Onwards & downwards.

Comment

• Balanus
                TDF Member
                • Jan 2013

Kind of. I think thinner bungee might be the answer as I’m getting flow out of the gloves when my hands are lowered. I know this is inevitable but the effect is greater than I’d expected. Time and fiddling will sort it I guess.

Comment

• colinicky
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

I have an Othree suit that was the first one they ever did with dry gloves about 10 years ago. Sitech QCP's. I do not have any wrist seals at all & never have had . I can't say that it has ever caused an issue for me even though obviously I get full movement of air with no restriction.

Onwards & downwards.

Comment

• Wrecked_Diver
                    TDF Member
                    • Feb 2014

I managed to bottom out the source of me getting wet after getting the gloves. Turns out it was completely unrelated, dump valve back had cross threaded and wasn’t quite gripping causing a leak. Loving the Kubi’s now. So nice to raise the arms for a nice warm rush of air into the gloves! I’m converted, no more wet gloves for me!

Comment

• Balanus
                      TDF Member
                      • Jan 2013

Thanks both. I think I was expecting them to behave in one way which the simple laws of physics obviously don’t allow.

Comment

• colinicky
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Dec 2012

Try clenching your fist & bending it upwards you may find it creates quite a groove at the base of your forearm at the wrist, if you find you need to migrate air because you have restricted it to much then that can help, I personally get about 1/2 cm deep groove.

Onwards & downwards.

Comment

• witchieblackcat
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Balanus
                          Kind of. I think thinner bungee might be the answer as I’m getting flow out of the gloves when my hands are lowered. I know this is inevitable but the effect is greater than I’d expected. Time and fiddling will sort it I guess.
                          You'll get airflow out of the glows when they are lower than your body because of physics. Don't put your hands so low...
                          Personally I pull a bit of my base layer through my seals to get air between the suit and the gloves; seems to work for me.

Comment

• dunny
                            TDF Member
                            • Oct 2013

Buy the 4th element wrist warmers, work great for me with my Kubis.

Comment

• Wrecked_Diver
                              TDF Member
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by dunny
                              Buy the 4th element wrist warmers, work great for me with my Kubis.
                              If you are wearing those and the glove splits wouldn’t you end up with a major leakage situation??

Comment

• jturner
                                Established TDF Member
                                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Wrecked_Diver
                                If you are wearing those and the glove splits wouldn’t you end up with a major leakage situation??
                                No, because you can just pull them out from under the seal. FWIW, when I tore a hole in the finger of one of mine, the water didn't wick up the sleeve that fast anyway, so I just left it all in place. My wrist seals are fairly tight though, so YMMV.
                                The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I worked for etc.

Comment

Working...