Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Canister battery over pressure gas vent when charging

Hello,

I have a French made Bersub dual video light setup powered by canister battery. I was recently charging this in my room and I heard an audible release of gas (pffftttt kind of sound). I wasn't sure what it was from but knowing that I was charging the battery I went to inspect. On inspection I saw that a little cap had partially popped up and touching this caused a bit more gas to escape. The battery I have is an older version of this one:
    http://www.plongimage.com/strobe-lig...-pc120-gt.html

If you look at the picture on the link you can see just behind the two charging pins a small circular cap (slightly whitish in appearance) just before the two glands where you screw in the light cords. It is this that had partially popped up. Obviously there is an over pressure release valve under there. Question is, is it now safe to take the battery back in the water? Presumably the valve is a one way one?
    Is it safe to charge the battery?

I didn't want to pry the cap off to look in case it was attached to anything. In fact pushing on the cap has made it sit down again flush with the surrounding surface. I also don't have any kind of manual as it was a second hand buy.

I thought I would ask here first and if I am still not sure I will try contacting the manufacturer (perhaps I can get a friend to translate my email into French).

Thanks in advance,
    Mikael
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dump
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I have an Agir cannister that has done the same a couple of timss. I guessed it was a safety thing to allow gas escape if it wanted to.

I just put it back in and continued as was
    If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!