X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MinimalMayhem
    TDF Member
    • Aug 2015

New mde manifold. Bedding valves in?

Just got a new mde manifold fitted to my twins. Valves seem a bit on the tight side - I was under the impression that mde valves were the super smooth easy to turn über valves of the cylinder world.

Do they need a period of ‘bedding in’ perhaps?
  • iain/hsm
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by MinimalMayhem
    Just got a new mde manifold fitted to my twins. Valves seem a bit on the tight side - I was under the impression that mde valves were the super smooth easy to turn über valves of the cylinder world.
    They used to be when they were machined in Leicester from brass stampings made in Birmingham and chrome plated local, Now they are imported from Italy from a company who makes industrial valves for welding and calor gas cylinder valves. It's someone else's design just with the MDE fish badge added on. Sorry for your inconvenience.

Comment

• MinimalMayhem
      TDF Member
      • Aug 2015

Oh crap. That may have been an expensive mistake.

Comment

• timmyg
        Gobbie squaddie, average diver
        • Dec 2012

Check to see how tight the hand wheels are been put on. Even the smoothest of valves will have some added resistance if the spring is fully compressed.

I'll also add, this is not from an engineers point of view. Just real world experience.

TG
        My pages:
        l Website l Blog l YouTube l Vimeo l Facebook l Twitter l Instagram l

Comment

• MinimalMayhem
          TDF Member
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by timmyg
          Check to see how tight the hand wheels are been put on. Even the smoothest of valves will have some added resistance if the spring is fully compressed.
          Yep. That was the first thing I checked.

Comment

• Energy58
            Established TDF Member
            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by iain/hsm
            They used to be when they were machined in Leicester from brass stampings made in Birmingham and chrome plated local, Now they are imported from Italy from a company who makes industrial valves for welding and calor gas cylinder valves. It's someone else's design just with the MDE fish badge added on. Sorry for your inconvenience.
            Mine are obviously highly valuable antiques then! MDE are still pretty helpful though and have spares going back centuries

Comment

Working...