Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Red Sea - May, which suit?

Heading to red sea northern wrecks at start of may and wondering what suit to bring? I have a choice of a 7mm steamer or 5-4-3mm chest entry surfing suit. I can also add in a 3mm vest if required.
    TIA.

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BcDiver View Post
    Heading to red sea northern wrecks at start of may and wondering what suit to bring? I have a choice of a 7mm steamer or 5-4-3mm chest entry surfing suit. I can also add in a 3mm vest if required.
    TIA.
    I would take the 7mm and also a hood for early / night dives. It is amazing how soon you cool down whilst diving repetitively!
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd go 7mm. Plenty of other people would go for the thinner suit, but I don't think you'd regret taking the 7mm.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The water temperature at the moment is 22 degrees rising to about 26 in May. I use my 5.5mm with 3mm hood for night and early mornings.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Aaaand I'd still be in a (lightweight) dry suit .
    www.wapsac.co.uk
    Apparently becoming a grandad

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Always go for the warmer option.

If too warm you can flush water through the neck / open the zip a little. Too cold and the dive is pants.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dunno about you but the water temperature will be about 26 in May so take whatever suit is good for that for you - remember it will be pretty damn hot on your surface interval in May.

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    Dunno about you but the water temperature will be about 26 in May so take whatever suit is good for that for you - remember it will be pretty damn hot on your surface interval in May.
    Not that hot with the wind blowing through the shaded dive deck on the boat? I always have a towel ready to get dry and warm asap!
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Personally if in doubt always opt for the thicker suit - you can flush a warmer suit but once you get cold in a thinner suit there is nothing you can do to add warmth (and no I still won't pee in mine even for warmth).

If temperatures are really an issue use a hood or cap of some type to keep your head warmer as well. Would suggest gloves but a lot of the sites prevent using them.

Having said that I was in a 3mm in October (26C)and a 5mm in November (25C water temp) - the main difference between the two was surface temperatures. In November the wind is far stronger and cooler so it is harder to gain back the core temperature. One of the group was in the same 7mm suit for both trips and I have to say never complained about being too warm on either.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks folks. Yeah it's the cumulative days that's got me thinking the 7mm might be better. I can't remember if I have dived in that sort of temperature before so not sure if I would be able to get away with the surf suit plus I'm not pissing in my suit...again the cumulative effect !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast