Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    Often wonder if having a higher vo2 max allows you deal with co2 better?
    prob do better if your on 60 fags a day ,

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Often wonder if having a higher vo2 max allows you deal with co2 better?
    I found that after sprint training, tabatas and stuff like that I recover my breathing faster. I suspect a lot of that is psychological, though. Just familiarity with that feeling of screaming lungs has to be a good thing. I think with hard training you are in a better mental state as much as anything else.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    I found that after sprint training, tabatas and stuff like that I recover my breathing faster. I suspect a lot of that is psychological, though. Just familiarity with that feeling of screaming lungs has to be a good thing. I think with hard training you are in a better mental state as much as anything else.
    At a low level of fitness your body cannot handle even small amounts of co2, think of smokers that have to take a pit stop.at the top of a flight of stairs. People that do a bit of training are able to handle co2 much better .... or have I got my whole concept of fitness completely wrong?

Is fitness not the ability of the body to deal with co2?
    Rememeber anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    At a low level of fitness your body cannot handle even small amounts of co2, think of smokers that have to take a pit stop.at the top of a flight of stairs. People that do a bit of training are able to handle co2 much better .... or have I got my whole concept of fitness completely wrong?

Is fitness not the ability of the body to deal with co2?
    breath in to a bag and have the wife count the number of breaths you take be4 you pass out ,
    then we will find a smoker on 60 fags a day to do the same ,

but i dont think there will be much in it ,

being fit is good ie lungs work better you can work harder , move more gas in and out ,
    unfit you cant work hard as you cant move the gas needed

whos going to batting about on his breather , the guy that can or the guy that cant , if your breathers not scrubbing as it should train all you like your still going to pass out ,

pie eaters the fat kids along with the smokers dont see them dropping like fly,s

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Simon Mitchell did reference a study that proved that after resistive lung training all the subjects involved were able to detect the onset of CO2 build up with greater sensitivity, which does at least permit an earlier bailout.

Apnea training, freediving etc. is counter productive on the other hand because obviously you are building up a resistance to the natural response to CO2.

Not sure about VO2 and training generally but inevitably you will be breathing less if fitter and be better able to cope with lumpy gear in the water, and the longer the breathing rate stays lower the better it should be I'd guess.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    It's a shame Coops moved on to other stuff. He'd done some very real world diving on rebreathers and lived to tell the tale. Never met him but he was one of the few people I ever listened to on Burgerworld. Him and Aussie Steve. Rest were a bunch of chanty rastlers.
    True, but our loss is to the benefit of international morris dancing community . (sky diving, in reality)

That (minor) hit in the Ressel gave me a lot of respect for co2 and saw the "calmly switch to your offboard gas" idea as utter bullshit.

I cant remember how much gas I churned through on that dive but it was a fucking lot.
    As the 'dispassionate observer' (I lost all passion once I realised none of your gear was worth nicking post mortem), there was a good 5 mins of what mike aptly labels the lizard brain response, during which time there was no point doing anything other than making sure you knew we were going for the exit and joining the ride. Once you'd got over that and started noticing the outside world again, there was some benefit in signalling/shouting etc. Your initial rate of gas consumption was fast, but i was surprised how quickly it actually settled (with hindsight). On the bright side you didnt need my bailout tins, christ, I'd have had to pay lynns rates to refill them!

I think in reality you either jump to team gas resource, plan in a sacrificial bottle, or take an approach to avoid CO2 in the first place.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think it was the primary light failure. After that I just thought "fuck it"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post
    Following the incident Mike what do you use as a breathing rate for planning.
    15lpm. I figure I can't carry enough gas to cope with a CO2 hit so I'll either be stealing other peoples gas or booking a chamber ride.

What it did teach me was to seriously think about mitigating the risk rather than coping with the after effects, prevention being better than cure. No pushing scrubbers, no working hard, slightest hint of breathing rate increasing stop and assess, if it doesn't go down on it's own then off the loop and go OC and see if it settles down. If in doubt, GTF out of there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123