• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Energy58
    Established TDF Member
    • Jun 2014

Just make sure you do each bit of PAVE and its a pass - don't overthink it

Try and avoid PowerPoint - use visual aids or flipcharts, they like that

Remember your timing - you can't "do" the whole subject in 10 minutes so select one aspect and stick to it; mine (some years ago) was "equipment" and I did the whole thing on the DSMB

Look forward - "Next time we will be looking at ..."

My memory of the exam is very hazy; I don't remeber it being particularly difficult but it does cover the whole of the DTP so remember to brush up on Ocean Diver stuff too, particularly if you are a crossover from another agency and never actually did OD (like me)

Comment

• Ian_6301
      Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
      • Jan 2013

It ain't what you teach, it's the way that you teach it.
      Strategy without Tactics is the slowest route to Victory. Tactics without Strategy is the sound before defeat.

Comment

• Alex Denny
        Established TDF Member
        • Mar 2016

I did my IFC about a year ago I think... Still reasonably fresh. I've got hold of a flip chart and now thinking about what next!

Comment

• timmyg
          Gobbie squaddie, average diver
          • Dec 2012

How to prepare for BSAC TIE

Originally posted by Ian_6301
          It ain't what you teach, it's the way that you teach it.
          Not quite. Remember the A in PAVE. Also, would it have taught real students?

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk
          My pages:
          l Website l Blog l YouTube l Vimeo l Facebook l Twitter l Instagram l

Comment

• Wibs
            Established TDF Member
            • Aug 2015

What's PAVE?

Comment

• Vanny
              Gone diving back later
              • Jan 2013

Secret squirrel BSAC stuff. Shhhhhh

Comment

• PhilPage
                Established TDF Member
                • May 2014

Originally posted by Wibs
                What's PAVE?
                Progressive
                Accurate
                Visual
                Effective

Comment

• drysuitdiver
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2012

Pernod, Advocaat, Vodka , Elderflower Wine.... a friday night dive weekend cocktail....

Comment

• Janos
                    "Three Sheds"
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Vanny
                    Secret squirrel BSAC stuff. Shhhhhh
                    It is. But I can tell you the secret if you promise not to tell anyone else

P is progressive. So the OP's lesson needs to introduce information in bite-size chunks in a logical order. You also need to think about the starting-level of your students. So if my topic was (say) tides then I'd be focusing on the basics ("don't be late as we need to dive on slack water") whereas at AD level I'd be looking at tidal diamonds, tidal atlases, etc. For the exam, it doesn't hurt to say what level you're pretending your students are at: "So as qualified Sports Divers I'm sure you know about the importance of diving on slack, but today I'm going to teach you about..."

A is Accurate. The information you teach needs to be correct and up-to-date. The easiest way to do this is by re-reading the relevant sections of the Instructor Manual. Don't guess.

V is Visual. Each important point ("piece of Must Know information") should be supported by a relevant visual aid. Yes this can be powerpoint. But Death By Powerpoint is a horrible way to go, and your lesson will be far more interesting, and so more memorable to your students if you can be a bit more creative and come up with something more engaging.

E is Effective. That means that your lesson needs to cover all the "Must Know" information that students need to know at that level. So, for example, someone once had the subject "wetsuits". They covered the technical construction of neoprene in great detail and I genuinely learnt something new. However they were pitching it at trainee Ocean Divers and failed to cover basic information such as a thin wetsuit might be fine for warm water, but in the UK you really need a thick wetsuit of 7mm+. Ie they didn't cover important Must Know information for trainee Ocean Divers and so failed the exam. But don't spread yourself too thinly. If your subject is DCI then it's fine to just cover signs and symptoms and say you'll cover treatment the following week. Avoid the trap of trying to teach too much, and failing to teach any of it sufficiently well, and so failing the exam.

Finally, practice, practice, practice. It's obvious (to both examiners and real students) when someone is trying to wing it and hasn't done their homework.

HTH.

Janos
                    You can lead a horse to water but you can't climb a ladder with a large bell in both hands - Vic Reeves
                    Hellfins - a friendly London dive club
                    My music video: Dive the UK, cos that's the way it is. Huh!

Comment

• Alex Denny
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Mar 2016

It’s tomorrow... wish me luck!

Comment

• drysuitdiver
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2012

Good luck. Not that you will need it . You will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment