Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Pool Like" Conditions

A quick query...

have a student wanting to do OW in Italian, and as he's the only one - pool hire for one wouldn't be cheap. He's dived before (something that worries me a little), without any form of training.

I was thinking of bringing him down to a local lake that has a nice gentle entrance and simulates a pool fairly well bar one criteria...

temperature (currently at 12c)

My plan is to find a spot that has a rocky bottom avoid issues with affecting the visibility... and as I'm bringing only one student the ratio would be 1:1 so I'm happier with that... but the temperature is one I cannot change.

I can't find anywhere in PADI's GTT ("the bible") a mention that the confined area needs to have pool-like temperatures, and with appropriate protection (and waiting a few weeks for temps to come up), this should be viable. I can't put him in a drysuit from day one (don't have the paperwork to do that sadly, which I really should do), so was going to put him in a 7+7 or 7+5 semidry...

Has anyone had a similar experience? Obviously I would talk through the two options with the student first... but would like to get an idea here if anyone has faced similar issues...

M.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Easy answer just do a DSD

He's not got any cert so ignore what he says and treat as a total newbie.

DSD can be done in open water down to 12m and the only requirement as regards temperature
    according to the manual is that you've made reasonable provision for it.

Ratios are 1:4 so 1:1 no probs.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks - but the student wants to learn to dive so that they can dive when on holiday, so a DSD isn't the best.

I'm treating him like a total newbie - we are starting from square one (and he wants to do OW - so that's an easy one).

The query was more around how people handle the confined portion of dives when the water temperature in a confined lake is... less than pool-like

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinal View Post
    A quick query...

have a student wanting to do OW in Italian, and as he's the only one - pool hire for one wouldn't be cheap. He's dived before (something that worries me a little), without any form of training.

I was thinking of bringing him down to a local lake that has a nice gentle entrance and simulates a pool fairly well bar one criteria...

temperature (currently at 12c)

My plan is to find a spot that has a rocky bottom avoid issues with affecting the visibility... and as I'm bringing only one student the ratio would be 1:1 so I'm happier with that... but the temperature is one I cannot change.

I can't find anywhere in PADI's GTT ("the bible") a mention that the confined area needs to have pool-like temperatures, and with appropriate protection (and waiting a few weeks for temps to come up), this should be viable. I can't put him in a drysuit from day one (don't have the paperwork to do that sadly, which I really should do), so was going to put him in a 7+7 or 7+5 semidry...

Has anyone had a similar experience? Obviously I would talk through the two options with the student first... but would like to get an idea here if anyone has faced similar issues...

M.
    I did my OW course in 12 C water here in a 7mm wetsuit - was perfectly ok apart from one dive where I forgot to pull the back zip up the entire way. That was a shock to the system when I started descending - was the perfect opportunity to do the gear removal and replace though! Given it is likely to be fairly short dives and you can get a decent heat between dives, I can't see a problem.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks - but the student wants to learn to dive so that they can dive when on holiday, so a DSD isn't the best.

I'm treating him like a total newbie - we are starting from square one (and he wants to do OW - so that's an easy one).

The query was more around how people handle the confined portion of dives when the water temperature in a confined lake is... less than pool-like
    Surely there is someone on here with a private pool you could borrow. There are builders and electricians here and we know how rich those beggers are.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does the temperature need to be "pool like"? I think Wraysbury use the confined area of the lake for confined water sessions.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    When I learned to dive in Cornwall we used a nearby hotel pool. It was out of season so the heating and filtration was off. You wouldn't get in without a decent wetsuit, water temp wasn't far off air temp (about 12C). Vis was sea-like as well. Green with a lot of shit suspended in it. God knows what was growing in it.

We also used a tank in the dive shop, again unheated.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In that case i'd source a pool as while the lake might come under the banner of a pool/confined the
    temperature will make things very hard going. Even if you did a cut-down pool session just to get
    some of the basics done it would pay dividends if you then went in the lake early.

If the pool was a reasonable cost I suspect you wouldn't be asking, so IMO it might be better to put
    all effort into seeing if you can work on the cost of that, than make the first scuba for him miserable.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    In that case i'd source a pool as while the lake might come under the banner of a pool/confined the
    temperature will make things very hard going. Even if you did a cut-down pool session just to get
    some of the basics done it would pay dividends if you then went in the lake early.

If the pool was a reasonable cost I suspect you wouldn't be asking, so IMO it might be better to put
    all effort into seeing if you can work on the cost of that, than make the first scuba for him miserable.
    That's exactly my fear... if he jumps into a frigid lake for his first few dives, he may decide diving isn't for him... which would be sad...

I've emailed a few pools to see if they charge different rates, let's see what they say. Also, I've dropped him a line, and asked what he wants to do. If it really comes down to price, maybe he's willing to wait for the lake to get warmer... or join one of the English speaking classes with me explaining the concepts in Italian...

Thanks for the responses

M.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That's exactly my fear... if he jumps into a frigid lake for his first few dives, he may decide diving isn't for him... which would be sad...

I've emailed a few pools to see if they charge different rates, let's see what they say. Also, I've dropped him a line, and asked what he wants to do. If it really comes down to price, maybe he's willing to wait for the lake to get warmer... or join one of the English speaking classes with me explaining the concepts in Italian...

Thanks for the responses

M.
    As on another thread running, if hes only interested in warm water holiday diving why not advise him to go somewhere warm and do OW there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast