Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Packing the dive bag for liveaboard

Hi buddies!
    I want to share some tips on packing the dive bag for liveaboard diving, I hope it will help some of you :-) Enjoy the video. https://youtu.be/-P9wom7UM54

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Or perhaps NOT deflate the BCD fully by sucking the air out!!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen - Winged Blob View Post
    Or perhaps NOT deflate the BCD fully by sucking the air out!!
    I might give that a miss too! Yikes!

Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Is there any actual evidence of the types of nasties (presumably moulds / bacteria) that might cause a human to get ill living inside BCDs?

Has anyone actually done some science?

A quick Google reveals that it is mostly PADI who advise that BCDs are dirty. The cite the potential for viruses to live in them.

Viruses do not survive for long outside the human body. Even the flu virus cannot survive for more than 24 hrs.

On that basis, I'm tempted to question the scientific rigour supporting the rest of the claim.

I mean, sure, if you own a chain of sweat shop sausage machine dive outfits somewhere warm, where clients wear a BCD for an hour, then it passes to the next user then absolutely! I would be dunking those things in trigene or similar and burning them at the end of the season, particularly if you encourage the clients to orally inflate.

But for a UK diver who has their own kit, barely ever oral inflates and rinses their kit off after trips, then I really don't think we're talking about the same level of exposure to risk.

Discuss...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Aspergillus fumigatus... look up Mike Firth.

Sausage machine dive outfits are probably safer - the kit is in constant use, not left festering and wet for weeks between dives.

Trigene and other disinfectants generally need to be at concentrations of 1% or higher and require 15-30 minutes contact time. You get through a lot of Trigene to dunk a bc properly ( inside & out).

There are plenty of other bacterial spore formers that will survive and can be pathogenic in the right conditions.

I wouldn't breathe off my wing and am scrupulous about sanitizing my breathing loop. Aspergillus infections are low probability but very high consequence.
    Tea Boy

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Whoever attempted us to inflate and breathe air from an ABLJ all those years ago?

Remember visiting Argeles sur Mer in the 70's and a Moniteur there wouldn't let me dive with the crack bottle in my ABLJ as he had been informed by an instructor that anyone who did not have the stamp in their log shouldn't be allowed

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We didn't know any better then did we??
    Tea Boy

Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timw View Post
    Aspergillus fumigatus... look up Mike Firth.

Sausage machine dive outfits are probably safer - the kit is in constant use, not left festering and wet for weeks between dives.

Trigene and other disinfectants generally need to be at concentrations of 1% or higher and require 15-30 minutes contact time. You get through a lot of Trigene to dunk a bc properly ( inside & out).

There are plenty of other bacterial spore formers that will survive and can be pathogenic in the right conditions.

I wouldn't breathe off my wing and am scrupulous about sanitizing my breathing loop. Aspergillus infections are low probability but very high consequence.
    ... And our survey says...

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Aspergillosis/

Or in other words, nigh on impossible to catch unless you have underlying chest problems (in which case you should not be diving) or are immuno compromised.

I'm very happy to be proved wrong using actual science and proper references, mind.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    In reality you can get the air out of a wing/bcd by rolling it up whilst holding the dump valve. No need to take any risk.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Was it just me who used to fill his BCD with warm slightly soapy water and rinse out with fresh before packing away.

I always seamd to get some sea water slopping about in the bottom after a dive and felt letting all that salt crystallise inside the wing wasn't such a good idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast