Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Red face Don't tug too hard

Bet this title intrigue Finless.....

Quick question. Some wing inflator hoses such as the DIRzone ones have a metal pins at both the elbow and the inflator so a wire can be strung between them to prevent excess strain on the rubber part. Having bought such a wing, albeit in bits I am missing the wire. Can I use fishing line instead? Could the line cut into the rubber?

Advice always welcome (tugging related or otherwise)

Cheers,
    Mikael
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Doesnt the wire operate a shoulder dump through the inflator hose?
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Established TDF Member Iain Smith's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    Bet this title intrigue Finless.....

Quick question. Some wing inflator hoses such as the DIRzone ones have a metal pins at both the elbow and the inflator so a wire can be strung between them to prevent excess strain on the rubber part. Having bought such a wing, albeit in bits I am missing the wire. Can I use fishing line instead? Could the line cut into the rubber?

Advice always welcome (tugging related or otherwise)

Cheers,
    Mikael
    Unless there's a dump at the shoulder of the corrugated hose, there's no need for wire or string wthin it.
    "DIR-compliant" wings don't have dumps on the corrugated hose - the attachment to the wing is via a right-angle.
    With no dump, there's no need to "tug" the hose, so the issue of "tugging too hard" doesn't arise.

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    Doesnt the wire operate a shoulder dump through the inflator hose?
    Mine is just a plane elbow

Quote Originally Posted by Iain Smith View Post
    Unless there's a dump at the shoulder of the corrugated hose, there's no need for wire or string wthin it.
    "DIR-compliant" wings don't have dumps on the corrugated hose - the attachment to the wing is via a right-angle.
    With no dump, there's no need to "tug" the hose, so the issue of "tugging too hard" doesn't arise.
    True there is no need to tug with no dump, yet for some reason the DIRzone plain elbow has a pin?
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Established TDF Member Iain Smith's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    True there is no need to tug with no dump, yet for some reason the DIRzone plain elbow has a pin?
    Pass...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    From experience many decades ago (zeagle), yes, the line can cut the hose.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's a safety feature.

If it doesn't have a pull dump you'd think no need, but it's not uncommon for divers to pull anyway
    be it force of habit or ignorance. That puts the strain on the clip holding the hose to elbow. Ok if the
    make has a groove of sorts or raised stop for the clip to bite against, but not so great if as on some
    brands the lip is non-existent leaving the whole lot on how good the clip is.

A few years ago Halcyon had a batch with this very issue with hoses coming off/out on dives.

You can add your own line, but it needs to be the exact right length. Easiest is to use cord same as on
    a rear dump, can get this from AP valves. Means it can be just tied and adjusted if wrong.
    Alternatively thin stainless wire looped over and clamped with a clip to create an eyelet either end is
    best, but no second chances on length.

A good joint shouldn't need this, but if it makes you feel safer your call

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    sorry tell did not mean to give that thumbs up . lol

id go with ,
    its just Manufacturing. one part fits all , more scope for selling more shite , ie you double you marker share.
    Last edited by gobfish1; 10-02-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Originally, it would have had a steel cable if your wing inflator is anything like my DIRZone one. I removed the cable as the hose was stupidly short (why anyone wants something that short is beyond me - it barely reached the top of my shoulder and couldn't be raised at all) and I'd got a longer one. I haven't bothered replacing the cable FWIW but I'm sure a DIRZone stockist could order you one if you wanted it. On one of my old wings with a pull dump (AP one), the cable had been replaced with string by some enterprising individual.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    On one of my old wings with a pull dump (AP one), the cable had been replaced with string by some enterprising individual.
    That's standard for AP on the old wing and the Pioneer BC.
    If it was black string or rather cord, that would be AP themselves