Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    ----
    Posts
    50
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    What fins for instructing in the pool?

    Hi All,

    I need a set of fins for instructing in the pool, I don't plan on using them for anything else. A couple of people have told me to just get normal closed fins, i.e. Avanti Quattros or something, but I was thinking I might get some short and stubby things as I could fit them in a bag easily and carry them to and from the pool and frankly, being a pool, I don't need lots of power and big fins to move around. I spend most of my time stationary!

    Shortest I've seen are the Mares Hermes, but they are a 'training fin' and I don't know if that's taking this mikey on the short side.

    Otherwise it's something like the Mares Manta maybe?

    I don't know, what would you get?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    TDF Member Alex Denny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Tonbridge
    Posts
    357
    Likes (Given)
    58
    Likes (Received)
    97
    I've got a pair I bought from a beach shop in Lanzarote for 10euros. Absolutely spot on, and they fit in my small pool kit bag...

  3. #3
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    ----
    Posts
    50
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Seems sensible, I can't understand why I'm being told to buy huge fins, maybe it's because they're all octopush players!

  4. #4
    Established TDF Member Tel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,342
    Likes (Given)
    236
    Likes (Received)
    1084
    You will need to demonstrate good finning technique and a crap pair of fins can mean a weak demo.
    It also means that students who follow by example may also buy crap fins and while you may have
    the experience to "manage", the students will not. All this builds up more work or even worse in
    open water, so always best to have decent kit regardless.

    I use a pair of Mares Volos with boots, but other Instructors use Volo Race slip-ons. They work very
    well for pool and pack easy for hols

  5. #5
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Emsworth, by the sea
    Posts
    203
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by jm123 View Post
    I don't know, what would you get?
    Have a google for long blade swim fins.
    Cost £10 to £15.
    Clue, they arenít that long.

  6. #6
    "Three Sheds" Janos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Work in Westminster, live in Surrey.
    Posts
    1,721
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by jm123 View Post
    Hi All,

    I need a set of fins for instructing in the pool, I don't plan on using them for anything else. A couple of people have told me to just get normal closed fins, i.e. Avanti Quattros or something, but I was thinking I might get some short and stubby things as I could fit them in a bag easily and carry them to and from the pool and frankly, being a pool, I don't need lots of power and big fins to move around. I spend most of my time stationary!

    Shortest I've seen are the Mares Hermes, but they are a 'training fin' and I don't know if that's taking this mikey on the short side.

    Otherwise it's something like the Mares Manta maybe?

    I don't know, what would you get?

    Thanks!
    Something comfortable.

    Iíve got size 12/13 feet and pool fins can be a problem for me, so anything that doesnít hurt and I can demonstrate the skills in works for me. After a few false starts, Iíve found a pair of cheap full foot fins that fit me well and thatís what I use. i wouldnít get too hung up on brand. Fit is the most important.

    Janos
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't climb a ladder with a large bell in both hands - Vic Reeves
    Hellfins - a friendly London dive club
    My music video: Dive the UK, cos that's the way it is. Huh!

  7. #7
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    ----
    Posts
    50
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    You will need to demonstrate good finning technique and a crap pair of fins can mean a weak demo.
    It also means that students who follow by example may also buy crap fins and while you may have
    the experience to "manage", the students will not. All this builds up more work or even worse in
    open water, so always best to have decent kit regardless.

    I use a pair of Mares Volos with boots, but other Instructors use Volo Race slip-ons. They work very
    well for pool and pack easy for hols
    Hadn't thought of that actually good point! We have loads of spare ones at the club though so maybe I can just slip on some others when I want to demo or we're doing swimming around.
    I'll head down to the dive shop to see what cheapo ones they have in stock.

  8. #8
    Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    South-West-ish, Various.
    Posts
    3,628
    Likes (Given)
    3374
    Likes (Received)
    1719
    If you must get mini fins, the Cressi Palau SAF is a good stubby fin. Works wonderfully for proper finning techniques, but does not reward flutter kicking.... All good, really!

    I think SAF may stand for Short As Fuck...?

  9. #9
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Middle East
    Posts
    964
    Likes (Given)
    49
    Likes (Received)
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_6301 View Post
    If you must get mini fins, the Cressi Palau SAF is a good stubby fin. Works wonderfully for proper finning techniques, but does not reward flutter kicking.... All good, really!

    I think SAF may stand for Short As Fuck...?
    Short Assed Fins ?


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •