Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Trump

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    Quite interesting bearing in mind he effectively lived in Trumps pocket for the best part of the year. He certainly didn't hold back any punches in that. Wonder how different it would sound now that Trump is Pres.

Quote Originally Posted by MW1963 View Post
    I've been to the USA 7 or 8 times since Trump was elected and amazingly talked to just one single guy who thought he was good, a Vietnamese chap working behind a car rental desk in Vegas who told me he was great as he would stop all the immigrants taking their jobs!!! Remember listening to the radio there just after that Uzbekistan bloke blew a few away in New York, people calling in saying that the Mexico wall must be built ASAP to keep these type of folk out. Do they really think that he came in overland via Mexico!!!! In general, I like Yanks, but oh so many simply haven't got a frigging clue about the world:<(
    I think one of the problems with Merkins is due to the size of the country most of them don't think how the world outside their borders affects them most of the time.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Even these days, less than half of Americans have passports and many of those that do have them have only used them to travel to Mexico or Canada.

As to knowledge of the outside world, once when we were in the US, a radio station announced that that day was the birthday of Eric Burdon from the pop group, The Animals. The DJ went on to sat that Eric was born in Newcastle upon Tyne, a suburb of London, England! I wonder how the Americans would react if we described Boston as a suburb of New York- they're only 215 miles apart compared with 284 for Newcastle to London.

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My OH is a doc, some years ago we spent a year in a mid-west state. One of his colleagues had never set foot out of that state despite adjoining states being 75 miles east and 50 miles south!! As Allan says less than 50% of mericans have passports. There was a massive upsurge when free movement between Canada and Mexico was abolished. A driver's license used to be all that was required as photo ID. Used that myself going US to Canada and back many times when living in Boston.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    Except we have a set of tossers that think that tying ourselves to the USA will be the future for the British economy - rather than the one we are already in and have piss easy access to.
    Mate the USA tried and failed to do a deal with the EU who rejected their proposals as totally unacceptable and unethical

The Americans refused to budge even for a client base of 800 million people

SO the chances of them giving a piss ant little 60mill customers in the UK a "great deal" are right up there with a second coming of Christ

Sadly the average Brexit voter is so entrenched in their misguided beliefs that they typify the type who actually believe in the possibility of second coming of Christ.

Maybe Trump is Christ reborn and we are just underestimating him

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase View Post
    Maybe Trump is Christ reborn and we are just underestimating him
    Anti-Christ. According to the mythology the Islamic forced of good will be defeated in Dabiq then JC will return. We just need to find the 666 on DT (it's under his hair - notice the film also featured DT..... spooky eh?)

It's all going totally to plan. I posted this link way back on the ISIS debate, but worth looking at again if you are bored at work on a freezing cold Friday. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-wants/384980/

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I thought IS had no religious motivation? Isnt that the official line?

Cant have it both ways.

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Anti-Christ. According to the mythology the Islamic forced of good will be defeated in Dabiq then JC will return. We just need to find the 666 on DT (it's under his hair - notice the film also featured DT..... spooky eh?)

It's all going totally to plan. I posted this link way back on the ISIS debate, but worth looking at again if you are bored at work on a freezing cold Friday. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-wants/384980/
    661 actually. It was incorrectly translated and the error realized only a few years back.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    I think it is generally agreed that psychopathy and intelligence do not have a strong correlation.
    I don't recall saying there was a correlation and I don't think you can demonstrate general agreement (in psychology) by pointing to Hare and Nuemann. If you scroll down the wiki page to Criticism of Conception, Lewis lets on why that is. Hare is a forensic psychologist. Cleckley spent a lot of his time interviewing criminals too. From a behavioural perspective, convicted criminals have been unsuccessful in their psychopathy - They got caught.

The Cathy Ames character from East of Eden portrays the archetypal "successful psychopath." In so far as she successfully hides her crimes behind a mask of superficial charm and outward normality. Steinbeck is bound to have read Cleckley's book, The Mask of Sanity, which made a stir at the time. Ames conflates her deceit with intellect, believing her capacity to commit outrageous acts (murder) makes her superior to "everyone else." <- Trump does this.

More recent fictional representations include Gruber from Die-Hard, Walter White from Breaking Bad and Black Adder.

Many city traders and bankers would qualify as psychos to be honest.
    Positions which provide scope to impose control, diminish others and to hide incompetence in plain site, are likely to attract psychopaths; City trader, school teacher, middle manager, lawyer, President of the United States. Worryingly, scuba diving as a pastime could attract psychos too <- Derrick Bird, Cumbria Shootings.

And I hate to point it out but some of the Remoaner arguments are particularly dark (psychopathic, narcissistic, machiavellian).

I have always taken the key indicator to be someone with a lack of empathy and compassion.
    What falls out of the literature is a lack of remorse - Everyone lies but a psychopath lies remorselessly. However, if you pick one attribute you are in danger of labelling the whole population as psychopaths.

I said that psychopaths are somewhat predictable. It is the combination of certain anti-social characteristics with a compulsive pattern of abusive behaviour that sets a psychopath apart. Particilar anti-social characteristics infer others and contraindicate more social characteristics. Hare changed the forensic classification to APSD accordingly.

Baldric, the 'honest fool,' has the capacity to lie but his lies are poorly constructed. Baldric's lack of intellect prevents him being a psychopath; as he is unable to maintain a pattern of superficial plausibility. Kruger / Dunning suggest truly talented people seek to normalise, by underestimating their own ability and over-estimating "everyone else." <- Trump does the opposite of this.

We can predict that a psychopath is neither Baldric stupid nor Hawking genius. A psychopath is very likely to be mediocre in most things.

Trump certainly qualifies (as do May and Johnson, Fox et al)
    Trump, definately.
    May, nope - Too uncomfortable when she is telling lies.
    Johnson, probably not - Too earnest.
    Fox, has all the makings.
    Gina Miller, borderline.
    Osbourne, one childhood trauma short of serial killer.

IMO of course.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345