Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Registry cleaner.

I am tempted to have a go cleaning up the Windows registry on my PC (by using an automated Reg cleaner).

I suspect that I may have quite a bit to clean up due to having upgraded from W7 to W10 and then having to renew/find new progs to run etc.

OK. All I know about this is:-

1. Take a backup first.
    2. Most 'free options' do the scan free and then want money before doing the tidying up.
    3. Get the wrong source file and you invite destruction upon your PC files.

In addition to the REG backup I can also take a whole disc backup to an external drive.

What say you assorted TDF gurus and wizzards (before I waste any time investigating this)?

Before anybody mentions 'starting from scratch (re-format the hard drive and do a fresh install of everything) this is not an option. I don't know if I still have (or, more likely, where they are) all the orig installation discs etc and I certainly don't have the time or will power to undertake such an enterprise at the moment.

I'm prepared to try a 'quick(ish) fix' and restore to 'as was' if it goes wrong.

Foolish? Waste of time?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Have you tried CCleaner from Piriform. It cleans up quite a lot of problems in the registry and cleans out old temporary files. It also prompts you to save a backup of the registry first.
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download?upgrade

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rth View Post
    Have you tried CCleaner from Piriform. It cleans up quite a lot of problems in the registry and cleans out old temporary files. It also prompts you to save a backup of the registry first.
    I already have that installed. :-)

Tut. My memory, eh? Why, I'd forget my

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rth View Post
    Thats the one I use (and have for about 10 years IIRC) and it hasn't scrambled my PC yet.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Never personally been a fan of registry cleaners. I've heard them cause horror stories and its not often you hear of a specific need for it. In fact, I cannot think of a single circumstance where I have needed to perform a general sweep of the registry to clean out old entries. I can certainly think of times where I have needed to remove/edit specific entries if an app does not cleanly remove itself and the leftover is causing me a problem. But the entire registry?

Honestly, I wouldn't bother.

But thats just me.

Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    Never personally been a fan of registry cleaners. I've heard them cause horror stories and its not often you hear of a specific need for it. In fact, I cannot think of a single circumstance where I have needed to perform a general sweep of the registry to clean out old entries. I can certainly think of times where I have needed to remove/edit specific entries if an app does not cleanly remove itself and the leftover is causing me a problem. But the entire registry?

Honestly, I wouldn't bother.

But thats just me.
    I concur.

In my youth, I tried this and then realised the hard way that it was a bad idea...

Established TDF Member mark weaver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_6301 View Post
    I concur.

In my youth, I tried this and then realised the hard way that it was a bad idea...
    Me too. 16 years of managing and environment of up to 200 servers and never needed to do this. As Phate said selective removal of entries from time to time to resolve a specific problem.
    Last edited by mark weaver; 12-01-2018 at 04:56 PM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_6301 View Post
    I concur.

Me too. It wasn't pretty.