Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Help dishwasher has suddenly started siphoning sink stuff back into machine!!

Help our dishwasher is siphoning back from liquids poured into the sink. I have run dishwasher cleaners through it, all washes are on maximum temperature 70 degrees. Both the sink and half sink have had drain un-blockers applied overnight and then flushed with a lot of boiling water from kettles. Anyone any ideas why this has suddenly started happening please. Plumbing has not been touched since this machine was put in some years ago, it is pumping out as expected at the end of the cycle.

Many many thanks in advance
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post
    Help our dishwasher is siphoning back from liquids poured into the sink. I have run dishwasher cleaners through it, all washes are on maximum temperature 70 degrees. Both the sink and half sink have had drain un-blockers applied overnight and then flushed with a lot of boiling water from kettles. Anyone any ideas why this has suddenly started happening please. Plumbing has not been touched since this machine was put in some years ago, it is pumping out as expected at the end of the cycle.

Drain valve not closing?
    I also vaguely recall from ours that the drain hose had to be not too short and not too long. Do you still have the manual and could check yours?
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post

Dishwasher? Lah de dah Oxford wealth.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    Drain valve not closing?
    There is a one way rubber valve in the pump assembly, looks like uts shot..........
    Depends on make and model, cheap to fix if you know what your doing and its a part that's available.
    “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Evans View Post
    There is a one way rubber valve in the pump assembly, looks like uts shot..........
    Depends on make and model, cheap to fix if you know what your doing and its a part that's available.
    Some have a small ball, whatever type is easily accessed underneath the strainer at the bottom of the dishwasher. Most likely just need cleaning.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Is it connected to the waste trap under the sink? If so, make sure that the drain hose goes as high as possible before going into the spigot to create an air gap. If the hose falls straight down from the spigot on the trap water will find it's way.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Dishwasher? Lah de dah Oxford wealth.
    Can't be. It sounds mechanical. When from Orksfoord, one has staff to deal with dirty dishes. The dishes disappear and come back clean, I assume bought new each time?!
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think the waste is blocked from sink to main drain. Get a bucket and break it down working from high to low and use a wet n dry vacuum if you can get one. I seal mine to the under sink waste, sucking from the main drain, with black nasty, a couple of seconds suction and all done.

Rgds

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    Is it connected to the waste trap under the sink? If so, make sure that the drain hose goes as high as possible before going into the spigot to create an air gap. If the hose falls straight down from the spigot on the trap water will find it's way.
    This would be my first check, had exactly the same symptoms with exactly this as the fix
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks all for your help. OH was all doom and gloom but I removed the panel at the back of the cupboard and have tied the hose up so it is higher than where it joins the waste trap. Easy and cheap fix with a bit of bailer twine!!
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast