Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jen - Winged Blob
    Supergnu
    • Dec 2012

Yes but the salient point there is "bunker" which would generate the same objections at this end.

I do like the idea of mulled wine, though.

Comment

• Ian_6301
      Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
      • Jan 2013

One day, I will have a proper, multifunction range cooker... Hopefully before it gets banned...
      Strategy without Tactics is the slowest route to Victory. Tactics without Strategy is the sound before defeat.

Comment

• Noggin the Nog
        Hail the Children of LLyr
        • Jan 2013

I wouldn't advise using one without getting proper training but that's just my opinion (I'll be out using one on some fallen trees tomorrow). And it doesn't come cheap.
        PPE is also good/essential but won't be much help if the smelly stuff really hits the fan. (PPE is at the bottom of the hierarchy of possible controls in the H & S world).

I prefer Husqvarna Saws. My son, who was an arborist for a few years is a Stihl fan. A few people have commented that the more recent Husky saws now have the edge on Stihl in the way both have had to be redesigned to cope with emissions regulations.
        "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Comment

• Kalahari Diver
          TDF Member
          • May 2016

Please get a course. A chainsaw really doesn't take prisoners. It is much more dangerous than diving. I have some tickets for a saw and I see some people using a chainsaw and all I can do is go away because they scare me spitless.

ATB,

David.

Comment

• Brent
            TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

I'm a big fan of using the correct ppe and always encouage others to use what is nesscassary, but why are are some of you talking of using a helmet for cutting logs? I could understand it if we were discussing felling trees but we're not, or is there some hazard i'm not aware of?

Comment

• Tel
              Established TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Brent
              I'm a big fan of using the correct ppe and always encouage others to use what is nesscassary, but why are are some of you talking of using a helmet for cutting logs? I could understand it if we were discussing felling trees but we're not, or is there some hazard i'm not aware of?
              Well the stock answer is safety first so always a helmet.

However the practical one is that a standard pair of safety glasses doesn't protect
              the cheeks/lips/ears etc. from splinters/chips, so better to have a full face, wrap
              around visor, Can get crap face guards cheap, but not as easy or as effective then
              just having it on a helmet.

So in essence it's somewhere to put the visor (and ear defenders)

Comment

• Chrisch
                Tofu eating wokerato
                • Jan 2013

I'm a big fan of using the correct ppe and always encouage others to use what is nesscassary, but why are are some of you talking of using a helmet for cutting logs?
                They've been on "a course" and that's what they were taught (Divers are very susceptible to "courses")
                There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
                With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

• Finless
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

DIR chainsaw?

Comment

• WFO
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Jay_Benson
                    When it comes to cutting and splitting wood do this when it is freshly cut if possible - it hardens up considerably as it dries out. This means you either blunt the chain quicker or can struggle to split a log - or both.
                    Depends on the timber, some of them are easier to split when dry especially softwoods.

Comment

• WFO
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Jen - Winged Blob
                      "soon we'll need a tractor...
                      And the problem with this is what exactly?

Originally posted by Chrisch
                      I forget exactly the brand (hey we are talking a cheap shit Screwfix own-brand item) but the chain was a half decent one. Oregon? Does that sound right? I have sawn a lot of pallets and done nothing to it. (Yeah Ok they are soft wood I know). It really pains me to say it is a good item. Honestly it does. I hate these big discount places with a passion. In 20 years time there will be no high street retailers and certainly no little independents.
                      My whinge with the Oregon chains on consumer stuff is they've got that much safety shit on the chain they don't cut right. They are a semi-chisel edge which stays "sharp-ish" for a long time though IIRC.

Compare a full chisel chain to one of the anti kickback ones and it's night and day, they plough through it. But they don't stay sharp as long if your timber is covered in bits of soil etc.

Comment

• Noggin the Nog
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by WFO
                        And the problem with this is what exactly?

My whinge with the Oregon chains on consumer stuff is they've got that much safety shit on the chain they don't cut right. They are a semi-chisel edge which stays "sharp-ish" for a long time though IIRC.

Compare a full chisel chain to one of the anti kickback ones and it's night and day, they plough through it. But they don't stay sharp as long if your timber is covered in bits of soil etc.
                        Which is not so bad if you really know what you are doing, (although "accidents" have happened) but for a "consumer" a semi-chisel/anti-kickback i s the safer option. they don't have a Forestry Commision manager shouting at them to get it cut & quick.
                        Last edited by Noggin the Nog; 30-11-2017, 09:35 AM.

Comment

• Noggin the Nog
                          • Jan 2013

Here's what we mean. The visor is as, if not more, important than the ear defenders (though 'lectrics don't make so much noise). Ans sometimes bits do go flying through the air.

Comment

• WFO
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Noggin the Nog
                            Which is not so bad if you really know what you are doing, (although "accidents" have happened) but for a "consumer" a semi-chisel/anti-kickback i s the safer option. they don't have a Forestry Commision manager shouting at them to get it cut & quick.
                            Depends what you are cutting and how!
                            If you are just logging stuff up that's less than a bar length in diameter and not using the nose of the bar then you are very unlikely to have kickback to worry about.

Actually brings us on to another thought... build/buy some saw horses so you're comfortably cutting and not in dodgy positions that put you in danger if you do have a kickback or doing something twatheaded like chasing a log round the garden.

Just to be pedantic the anti kickback and chisel vs semi chisel are two different things, you can get semi chisel chain that isn't anti kickback as well.

Comment

• Chrisch
                              Tofu eating wokerato
                              • Jan 2013

Honestly if you are going to buy a tractor (and I think this is a great idea - I love tractors) really it makes more sense to get this:

There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
                              With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

• steelemonkey
                                Established TDF Member
                                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Chrisch
                                Honestly if you are going to buy a tractor (and I think this is a great idea - I love tractors) really it makes more sense to get this:

That's a good idea Jen, your hubby may be anti open fires, log piles, etc. but I am sure he would come aboard if he had something like this to play with.
                                Paul.
                                If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
                                Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Comment

Working...