X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Penny
    New TDF Member
    • Nov 2017

Deep Stops

I was told a few days ago that for Tek diving PADI are not in favour of deep stops anymore. Is this true? If it is what research is this based upon please?
  • Tewdric
    Established TDF Member
    • Feb 2013

Deep stops became fashionable when bubble models gained traction as preferable decompression models a fair few years ago. The theory was that allowing absorbed nitrogen to disperse slowly would prevent micro bubble formation at depth and thus larger damaging bendy bubbles would not form in the shallows.

The problem was that deep stops allowed continued on-gassing of the more absorbent ("faster compartment") bits of the body like the blood, and, more significantly, the slower absorbing bits ("slow compartments") like your bones which then take longer to decompress, so bends became more, rather than less, likely.

The only empirical evidence for this was in a US Navy experimental diving unit study that was conducted by the US Navy who compared deep stop strategies against "traditional" gradient models of which Bühlman 16c is the most common. The results suggested the bubble model resulted in more bends, hence the US Navy rejected a bubble model as a basis for future dive tables.

That probably sounds like gobbledygook so listen to a guy who can actually explain this stuff:

World-renowned diving medicine expert Dr Neal Pollock gave everyone a lot to think about with his talk on the thoughtful management of decompression stress.N...
    Last edited by Tewdric; 21-11-2017, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• nigel hewitt
      Established TDF Member
      • Sep 2013

The deep stops enthusiasts had 'get you out faster' profiles and the USN tested them properly and they failed dismally.
      I think they pulled the test as not safe before they finished the planned dives.

Then a pretty good hatch job on the theory was done by Simon Mitchell, my favourite deco guru.
      So we dialled up 40/75 GFs on our computers, did Bühlmann plus a bit and all lived happily ever after.

It's probably 100 times more complicated but that's my reading of it.
      Last edited by nigel hewitt; 23-11-2017, 10:00 PM.
      Helium, because I'm worth it.
      Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Comment

• Vanny
        Gone diving back later
        • Jan 2013

I'm guessing that link goes to Prof simon Mitchell. He's the guy to watch/listen to. But yes deep,stops have generally fallen out of fashion. You'll prob find comments around where divers talk about changing their gradient factors to mive away from deep stops , preferring longer shallow stops.

Comment

• Energy58
          Established TDF Member
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by nigel hewitt
          The deep stops enthusiasts had 'get you out faster' profiles and the USN tested them properly and they failed dismally.
          I think they pulled the test as not safe before they finished the planned dives.

Then a pretty good hatched job on the theory was done by Simon Mitchell, my favourite deco guru.
          So we dialled up 40/75 GFs on our computers, did Bühlmann plus a bit and all lived happily ever after.

It's probably 100 times more complicated but that's my reading of it.
          Deep stops/bubble models always were deco woo - there was no actual evidence that they did what they were supposed to do (which is something to do with the assumed maths of bubble growth) but they got you out of the water faster - the NEDU trials simply proved it by bending a bunch of divers!

Comment

• PhilPage
            Established TDF Member
            • May 2014

Originally posted by Energy58
            the NEDU trials simply proved it by bending a bunch of divers!
            To be exact, they did 20 profiles across the test group on Buhlmann with no bends.

They got to 18 profiles with bubble model and stopped after the 2nd bend.

*edit - "exact" appears to be a poor choice of word. Those results are from a different presentation

This study was pretty brutal and roundly rubbishes bubble model theory (at least for the bubble model in question):

On Thalmann (gas content) - 192 dives resulting in 2 pain-only bends and one with spinal symptoms

On BVM (bubble model) - 198 dives resulting in 11 bends, including pain-only, skin & neurological.

Ultrasound scans also observed a higher instance of large bubbles in the BVM dives.

Would have been nice (for us) if they'd done Buhlmann vs. RGBM
            Last edited by PhilPage; 22-11-2017, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• PhilPage
              Established TDF Member
              • May 2014

Originally posted by Penny
              I was told a few days ago that for Tek diving PADI are not in favour of deep stops anymore. Is this true?
              Yes, and not limited to PADI - everyone has been forced to re-evaluate their deco approaches (unless they'd already binned deepstops). The only thing that's remarkable is that it's taken this long to get decent traction.

Originally posted by Penny
              If it is what research is this based upon please?
              2011 NEDU study: http://archive.rubicon-foundation.or...pdf?sequence=1

Comment

• Wardy_uk
                Established TDF Member
                • Jan 2016

at a risk of going slightly off topic - what's the thinking on how this extends to the "deeper" stops being added to no-deco dives? a fair number of computers stick a stop in at 10/11m when you get close to NDL's, and I've found adding a stop in at 9m seems to reduce the feelings of fatigue I get on longer 20/25m dives... is this thinking still valid, or debunked like "proper" deep stops?

Comment

• Dave1w
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Jan 2013

I was alway a little puzzled that the studies were of just deep stops against just shallow stops and (when I looked at the ages ago) not deep stops with extra shallow stops as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• jturner
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Wardy_uk
                    at a risk of going slightly off topic - what's the thinking on how this extends to the "deeper" stops being added to no-deco dives? a fair number of computers stick a stop in at 10/11m when you get close to NDL's, and I've found adding a stop in at 9m seems to reduce the feelings of fatigue I get on longer 20/25m dives... is this thinking still valid, or debunked like "proper" deep stops?
                    The study didn't address them in any way if I recall correctly.

If you think it makes you feel better, why change it? I tend to do them if I remember and the profile lends itself to doing them, but then again I also feel less tired diving nitrox and that's a myth too apparently, so what do I know?!
                    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I worked for etc.

Comment

• gobfish1
                      Last of the Mohicans
                      • Jan 2013

it was never valid , your just making shite up,
                      None diver as of 2018.

Comment

• PhilPage
                        Established TDF Member
                        • May 2014

In a gas content model at a given point of the dive, there's a depth at which you start (in theory) offgassing slow tissues. Any stop below that depth is a deep stop. Anything above it is shallow.

On a 25m dive, 9m is probably shallow and therefore disarable (although not for long, I'd imagine). On a 20m dive, you'll probably be better off spending the time you would have spent at 9 at 6 instead.

The latest stuff from NEDU (about the helium penalty) implies that nitrogen management is underemphasised (i.e. we're not doing enough deco) in air/nitrox tables, as the "penalty" applied when adding helium appears to be producing the right amount of deco, but for the wrong reason.

i.e. there's no need to penalise helium, but the nitrogen penalty should be higher.

or to put it another way, can the deep stops, but add that time to shallow stops
                        Last edited by PhilPage; 22-11-2017, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• Energy58
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Jun 2014

I think that is effectively just slowing your ascent - adding time relatively shallow when you are offgassing (like a safety stop but a bit deeper) and not "proper" deepstops which are supposed to shorten your overall time for the same risk (or allow you to reduce your risk with the same in-water time) so unsurprising you feel better as you are diving more conservatively. You could get the same effect by doing more time at 6m instead. "Deepstops" TM are deeper and you are still ongassing in medium and slow tissues which seem to give the problems
                          Last edited by Energy58; 23-11-2017, 04:17 AM.

Comment

• Wardy_uk
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by gobfish1
                            it was never valid , your just making shite up,
                            if only I were that creative...

Comment

• Wardy_uk
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Energy58
                              I think that is effectively just slowing your ascent - adding time relatively shallow when you are offgassing (like a safety stop but a bit deeper) and not "proper" deepstops which are supposed to shorten your overall time for the same risk (or allow you to reduce your risk with the same in-water time) so unsurprising you feel better as you are diving more conservatively. You could get the same effect by doing more time at 6m instead. "Deepstops" TM are deeper and you are still ongassing in medium and slow tissues which seem to give the problems
                              That's more or less how I saw it: I generally add 1 min at 9, and if I remember 1 min at 3 to the usual 3@6

Comment

Working...