Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marsa alam

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marsa alam

Anybody been through that airport in the last few months?

Where do I put batteries? in hold? In cabin? Up my Arse?

Generally have they got their shit togther?

And yes Mark P and Deader's of the Not yet, I know it's not ideal but I do the Maldives and Indo as well so that's the end of that!!! Dubai and Saudi........ That's a step to far........
    “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Came back through Marsa Alam week before last.

No spare batteries are allowed in either hold or carry-on.

Three thorough bag searchs, with an option for a fourth by the exit gate if you're [unlucky / standing still for more than 30 seconds / some other undetermined crtierion], and two x-ray machines. Still they missed a lone AA battery rolling around in my hand luggage; I'd forgotten about it and found it back in the UK.

So, no, shit not fully together, but they are being pretty thorough.

They are more likey to find them in carry-on, so take only spares that you're happy to lose on the way back, put the unused batteries in the hold luggage.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by David D View Post
    Came back through Marsa Alam week before last.

No spare batteries are allowed in either hold or carry-on.

Three thorough bag searchs, with an option for a fourth by the exit gate if you're [unlucky / standing still for more than 30 seconds / some other undetermined crtierion], and two x-ray machines. Still they missed a lone AA battery rolling around in my hand luggage; I'd forgotten about it and found it back in the UK.

So, no, shit not fully together, but they are being pretty thorough.

They are more likey to find them in carry-on, so take only spares that you're happy to lose on the way back, put the unused batteries in the hold luggage.
    so batteries travel in the camera - strobe - torch and that's it, no spares? Can i take the Chargers???

Thanks for the info BTW
    “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    They're very focused on standard [AA type] batteries that aren't in a device, so batteries in torches or cameras in hold luggage should be ok.

We got a warning from the transfer ground staff about power-pack type batteries, i.e. batteries that charge other devices; apparently they REALLY don't like them.

Standard chargers were ok for me in my hold luggage.

Bigger devices, iPads etc, probably best to go in the hold. If you try to get one through and it's found, it will be confiscated and put in a pouch which is then handed to cabin staff on the plane, and can then be retreived back in the UK. [They have a slot type device, a la post office letter sizer, which decides whether it's an acceptable size or not].

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by David D View Post
    They're very focused on standard [AA type] batteries that aren't in a device, so batteries in torches or cameras in hold luggage should be ok.

We got a warning from the transfer ground staff about power-pack type batteries, i.e. batteries that charge other devices; apparently they REALLY don't like them.

Standard chargers were ok for me in my hold luggage.

Bigger devices, iPads etc, probably best to go in the hold. If you try to get one through and it's found, it will be confiscated and put in a pouch which is then handed to cabin staff on the plane, and can then be retreived back in the UK. [They have a slot type device, a la post office letter sizer, which decides whether it's an acceptable size or not].
    Power Packs are a big no-no in many places but they are totally inconsistent: as of a couple of months ago India will shoot you if you put one in your hold luggage but are fine with it in your hand baggage and do look; some places in the Middle East are the other way around (if they bother to look) - if you are going from India via the Middle East you are basically screwed. Best leave them at home

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Only take your phone and earphones on the plane. That's it. Nothing else. Everything else in hold baggage.

One person on the flight back from Hurghada the other day handed in their iPad (well it got taken off them) and was never handed to cabin crew so its still in Egypt afaik.

Also bear in mind there is an extra check at the gate. This can take a while to get through, so staying in the bar till the last minute means you will either delay the flight or miss it.

This is for Hurghada (I haven't flown through Marsa for a few years) but would assume its similar/same.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What everyone says really
    Three security checks and depending on weather/mood/football score a fourth as well. ONLY take phone and I pad / headphones on plane and nothing in hand luggage is safest. I put everything else in hold apart from my regs and NO loose batteries or power packs at all anywhere. Chargers are fine as long as in hold. My mate took his pony bottle out - well you can imagine coming back, nearly started the Suez crisis all over. It is also dependant on who you get and their mood, speak a few words in Arabic like hello and how are you and when they have finished laughing at your pronunciation, you can get away with murder (well literally speaking of course)
    Jez

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I flew in and out of Marsa Alam airport last week. Two security checks: One directly after entering the building, and a more thorough one after emigration. The second one intercepted both bottles of drinking water but didn't bother me about the Sola torch, Gopro, laptop, two iphones, the large powerbank and the tangle of chargers, cables and associated tidbits in my cabin luggage. YMMV.

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Take a blonde 18year old with you and you get the best seats on the plane and no hassle with security!! Took our niece to learn to dive at Shagra as a birthday present.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post
    Take a blonde 18year old with you and you get the best seats on the plane and no hassle with security!! Took our niece to learn to dive at Shagra as a birthday present.
    Could I borrow your niece please?
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast