Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Buying new cylinders and stamped manufacturer date

No doubt this one has done the rounds before.

If you are buying new cylinders, how many months on the manufacturers stamp date would you accept as still being "new".

I have just bought new cylinders and I am not overly happy with dates on them because a) I bought on pre-order and b) I asked when ordering if they were recently manufactured and was told they would be. I am in touch with the shop and so far they are giving me the run around. However, I will wait to see where that leads before naming the shop.

Cheers,
    Mikael
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    If out by a long way then I think the shop should hyrdo them before selling so you get the 5yr hydro interval. If only a month or 2 I wouldnt sweat it too much
    JJ wanker

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I will name and shame one place that does this. last time I bought cylinders from stoney / underwater world I asked the same question and was told they turn over loads of cylinders so they won't be more a few months and received 'new' cylinders that were stamped a year ago thus losing 2/5ths of the visual inspection life.

I was less than impressed.

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My "new" cylinders were manufactured in May and arrived at the beginning of November. So 5 to 6 months old. Not badly old but also pushing what I think is reasonable given that they were bought on pre-order and I was told they would have nice fresh dates on them.
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would imagine it depends where they are manufactured and how they are shipped. I would be very surprised if cheap ones are made in Europe (even if manfactured to BS/EU standards) and so with stocking/ storage / shipping / distribution I reckon 6 months is pretty “fresh”. I would be happy buying new if it was within a year of the manufacture date. Not sure that additional hydro tests are good practise.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Depends on how you asked the question. If you specified a time period then they’ve sold you goods that don’t meet your requirement and you’re entitled to a refund. If you didn’t state a time period, your stuffed.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Wouldn't it be nice if the places which flogged these things and who do testing, put the tins through a test and reset the clock.

Otherwise a discount is required; pro-rata of the first testing fee - about £50 for the test, so about £20/year.

What about the O2 clean dates? Given this is only 15 months...

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If retailers offered bang up to date then the cost of cylinders would up by a significant margin to pay for the testing required.

In the competitive market that exists, i.e. us lot always look for the cheapest, it's not going to happen.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    When I bought mine, the shop offered to try to get the newest tanks that they could find (looking round various suppliers) so I am quite happy.

If it is a real concern, factor in the cost of a test into the purchase price and ask for it to be done prior to the valve fitting.

M.D., Beaver Sports (Yorks) Ltd
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Having been actively involved in new cylinder distribution for pushing 30 years, manufacture dates have always been an issue. Taking in to consideration quantities required by manufactures per batch, personally I would assume 6 months to be acceptable. When we have cylinders which are over this time, a discount is generally offered and as far as I am aware this is then passed on to the customer and considered reasonable enough to compensate earlier inspection/testing than would be the case with 'brand newly' dated cylinders.

It certainly is not normal that you would expect to purchase a cylinder in the same month of it's manufactured test date, as in reality this is seldom going to occur. Over recent years, I have been amazed that the UK and possibly other EU countries have not adopted what has been implemented in Germany, as what is accepted and approved in any EU country must be accepted in others, unless it can be proven to be unsafe by an authorised body. This being that the clock starts to tick at which point a cylinder is purchased and first charged, ie. put under stress and relevant certificate issued. This makes perfect sense and really should be the case in the UK.

We supply cylinders to many parts of the world and in general concerns over manufacture date appear to be mainly a UK issue. At the very best my personal view would be that any decent retailer with inspection facilities would offer a free first visual inspection FOC when selling a dated cylinder. In reality, there are some elements of SCUBA gear that give retailers and also distributors a decent margin, unfortunately for us in the industry this sure does not apply to cylinders, as it has always been the case that profit margins to be made are very minimal.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast