Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Co2

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've got a similar outlook but I have a QC6 in between the BOV and the off board, plenty flow and easy to disconnect.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post
    I was overthinking of an issue on surface pre dive but I guess you would just spit bov and inflate wing suit.

Then deploy o2 clean snorkel.

Unit held it's first pos neg last night with new correctly sized lungs.
    The only time iv had a problem at the surface, / pushed off the breather ,

I had a bit of a target fixation, tide was running and i wanted to hit the shot and get down , jumped in a bit to close and smacked my loop hose on the buoy dvs parted from the mouth grip , bummer , lucky for me i could grab the shot line, stop my self from sinking as id gone in hard and heavy to get down fast , , used my 50% cylinder reg to breath , saved the grip by sticking a finger in it , , tossed loop over my head , add some /gas in wing and waited for boat to come round and pick me up ,
    new cable ties and went back in ,

a bov would of been of no help to me ,other than maybe closing down the loop a bit faster breathing low po2 resting or Scratching my arse. is not for me

if id not had the shot line to hold id have been going down as i deployed the 50% ,

iv a few ways to get round this now , as i wanted it to be some what slicker if i had a same sort of problem at or near the surface, when jumping in ie start of dive ,

even my suit feed has a nitrox mix in it , i have off board o2 so just stuck a pop off reg on the whip .
    you could plum something in to you auto air (if you have one)ie suit gas not argon lol
    or stick a reg on it , i norm have 2l or 3l off board gas x 2 , and i can get at all the gas i hump one way or the other , i can plum two whip up and join cylinder,s plug in to my buddys gas , lot,s of ways to fook my day up, lol End of day i can blow all gas in unit or breath all gas oc mode , low flow fitting so only good in shallow water oc wise ie 30m and up,

i like to fix a problem so that it give me a 2nd benefit rather than another problem some other place on the dive ,

a bov may sort one big problem but it makes you a good few more problems , so needs thinking about ,

Some will say why the fook bother with a nitrox mix in your suit feed ,
    i say 45mins on a high po2 may save the day , not saying it will but no harm in trying ,
    Last edited by gobfish1; 14-11-2017 at 07:42 PM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Following up from this thread I have been reading and learning and whilst trawling through CCRX I did find 2 pieces of information that I found informative and useful and linked.

1 was that a study of CO2 production in individuals revealed that the introduction of sugar in foodstuffs during the trial increased the production of CO2, so it would appear that a high fat, low carb diet perhaps generally and certainly leading up to and during diving weekends/weeks is a decent option in the mix.

2ndly Simon M referenced a paper where subjects were trained with static resistive lung loading devices, the take out from this was that all subjects developed a greater sensitivity towards CO2 build up, which in theory would provide a better early warning of an issue permitting an earlier bail out.

The balloons are out of the van now in favour of a length of manometer tube that allows me to increase the resistance on inhale and exhale.................genius...........still look like a twat though.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Following up from this thread I have been reading and learning and whilst trawling through CCRX I did find 2 pieces of information that I found informative and useful and linked.

1 was that a study of CO2 production in individuals revealed that the introduction of sugar in foodstuffs during the trial increased the production of CO2, so it would appear that a high fat, low carb diet perhaps generally and certainly leading up to and during diving weekends/weeks is a decent option in the mix.
    A high fat/low carb, keto diet is also thought to reduce the chance of an o2 hit as well. They did research to enable SEAL teams use oxygen rebreathers deeper with less risk. Fairly succesfully as I understand it.

I've been eating that way for the last couple of years, 60-85% fat most days. If nothing else, stable energy levels and no sugar/insulin slumps after eating alone make it worthwhile. I wouldn't go back to eating that food pyramid bullshit.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Been trawling through various reading material on many CCR subjects, not just CO2, but in doing so a couple of things have popped up relating to CO2.

Firstly there is inevitably a shed load of personal tales and reported tales of CO2 incidents, resulting quantity of bailout etc. The weird thing is that none of the first hand accounts as I recall resulted in missed deco, a bend etc., and IIRC only one of the reported incidents involving third parties resulted in a fatality. Not saying they aren't happening but I have read a lot on here, CCRX and RBW and it just struck as odd that there weren't more that ended in a helicopter or worse.

2ndly Steve (Gobfish) in this thread refers to a practice of almost semi refreshing the loop from time to time, so not a complete flush but just a little drop in volume to allow a make up with 02 or dil dependent on variables at the time. I missed this subtlety from first reading but picked up on it on second reading as with inc. exposure to my unit (10 hrs now) I had wondered whether it was a good idea. I haven't read it about it elsewhere in training manuals but seems sensible.

Thirdly I have seen a couple of references (ironically incl. Steve again) referring to the fact that min loop is a double edged sword, in so far that it may encourage a shallower than optimal breathing cycle, to avoid triggering the ADV, which in turn could lead to CO2 retention/build up. Or that is how I interpreted it.

Established TDF Member DiverMike's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Been trawling through various reading material on many CCR subjects, not just CO2, but in doing so a couple of things have popped up relating to CO2.

2ndly Steve (Gobfish) in this thread refers to a practice of almost semi refreshing the loop from time to time, so not a complete flush but just a little drop in volume to allow a make up with 02 or dil dependent on variables at the time. I missed this subtlety from first reading but picked up on it on second reading as with inc. exposure to my unit (10 hrs now) I had wondered whether it was a good idea. I haven't read it about it elsewhere in training manuals but seems sensible.

Sounds like semi closed mode - this was taught to me on mod 1 (and a more elaborate version on mod 2 or 3) - it can be used for gas extension and safe breathing mix in the event of electronics failure. Not sure how viable it is in a CO2 situaiton. If the scrubber is dead or channeling you'll just build up CO2 levels. If it is CO2 from over working once leevls are down you could go back on the loop any way after sanity breaths.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Its in post 50 above and pretty sure Steve isnt talking about SCR, just a bit of a vol drop which is then made up with fresh gas very periodically.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Its in post 50 above and pretty sure Steve isnt talking about SCR, just a bit of a vol drop which is then made up with fresh gas very periodically.
    About every 10 mins from the 9m stop and above we'd empty the loop completely and flush it with O2. The idea is just to get fresh gas in the loop and get rid of any residual CO2. I cannot produce any published papers that support this hypothesis but it seems to be a common enough practice.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    you can be sure im not talking about SCR , when i said working hard , replace gas and top up with o2 ,

it covers two things , one was not needing the hud as i would know my bag is good to breath as i know my dill ppo2 so blowing some volume off and sucking in some dill i know gas is good , plus if iv worked a bit to hard id rather blow off any co2 then push it back in to the unit , ( also lets me know the solenoid is working , dill will drop ppo2, below my 1.3 set point )

as for some of the other guru,s post,s id go back a few year , and read what thay had to say back then ,
    one guru gave me a hard time cos not having a hud ment i could no see my ppo2 , on a surface swim .
    untill i pointed out iv no need to see my ppo2 as i all ways know what it is , ie o2 breather
    said guru had just spent 700 quid on a hud to see his ppo2 as he swam to the shot .
    letting the unit keep low set point lol if i ever see low set point on my unit in the water id think it was fooking broken.

seems some guru,s did learn a few tricks from reading the interweb ,
    but they like to own it also ,
    take my word for it , they dont own it or even think of it, they read it on the web ,
    Last edited by gobfish1; 14-04-2018 at 11:32 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Exactly gobbers, keep it simple (not just your breather, but the way you run it/dive).

Everyone gets a hard on for the fancy gadgetry, forgetting that the more you add the more chances there are for fuckups. I guess its not sexy being told to run O2 above 6, MLV all other times, and to learn the intuitive alarms etc.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567