• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chrisch
    Tofu eating wokerato
    • Jan 2013

Kit up all you Laaaandaaaners

Vis might be a bit shit though.

There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
    With apologies to Albert Einstein.
  • smileydiver
    Not short, just concentrated awesome ;)
    • Dec 2012

Ooooohhhh, that's exciting news!
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

• Divemouse
      Pedantic Pig
      • Dec 2012

It's not that they're on the increase though, just that people are looking more.
      Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Comment

• drysuitdiver
        Banned
        • Dec 2012

viz is atrociuos in the Thames.

Diving is also prohibited by the PLA from teddington to the estuary unless you hold alll sort of licences . that are a PITA to get .

Comment

• Tunicates
          Established TDF Member
          • Jan 2013

About 7 years ago there were a confirmed sightings at Tilbury, since then they seem to be further and further up the Thames - though as DAwn says, possibly just cos people are looking more. God knows how you'd find them in the murk though. Are they setting traps?

Comment

• Divemouse
            Pedantic Pig
            • Dec 2012

Are they setting traps?
            Yes. And they get caught in water filters for things like power stations.

Comment

• Tunicates
              Established TDF Member
              • Jan 2013

Hilarious. Protected species, you cant dive looking for them, but setting traps for them is fine.

Comment

• Divemouse
                Pedantic Pig
                • Dec 2012

setting traps for them is fine
                It's not what you know...

Comment

• Tunicates
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Jan 2013

....it's who you can persuade to sign off on 'research', yeah, I get it.

Comment

• Tunicates
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Jan 2013

I made a seahorse hoover once - a baby airlift suitable for demonstration in the pool and sucking up plasters (and seahorses) etc.
                    But I would love to see what kind of trap they're using. What do they bait them with? Chocolate copepods?

Comment

• Energy58
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Divemouse
                      It's not that they're on the increase though, just that people are looking more.
                      Indeed - nearly 20 years ago seahorses could be found at Barking: there is shedloads of life in the Thames which is quite a healthy river these days its just there is usually shedloads x 1000 of silt hiding it. Never managed to see a dolphin or a seal there, although they do get seen reasonably often as far upstream as Putney - just not by me!

I have a theory that great crested newts are really common as every big development project I have been involved in in the UK found them on site once they paid ecologists to do a survey...
                      Last edited by Energy58; 12-11-2017, 05:38 AM.

Comment

• Tunicates
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Energy58
                        Indeed - nearly 20 years ago seahorses could be found at Barking: there is shedloads of life in the Thames which is quite a healthy river these days its just there is usually shedloads x 1000 of silt hiding it. Never managed to see a dolphin or a seal there, although they do get seen reasonably often as far upstream as Putney - just not by me!

I have a theory that great crested newts are really common as every big development project I have been involved in in the UK found them on site once they paid ecologists to do a survey...
                        My partner who is a landscape architect would say that this is true, certainly on the Thames Gateway projects she's been involved in.

Comment

• Jay_Benson
                          Confused? You will be.
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Energy58

Originally posted by Tunicates
                          My partner who is a landscape architect would say that this is true, certainly on the Thames Gateway projects she's been involved in.
                          The newts are quite easy to find once you have cleared all the bloody bee orchids.
                          Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Comment

Working...