X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spinal
    TDF Member
    • May 2016

Torque Wrench

I need a torque wrench... but struggling to find one that goes anywhere near the settings suggested in the service manuals.

1.5Nm at the lower end, and 35Nm at the upper end... I'm guessing i'll need two - but still struggling to find a torque wrench that goes down to 1-2Nm...ideas?

Forgot to say - I live in Switzerland, so pretty limited in buying options... looking in ebay and amazon...
    Last edited by Spinal; 01-11-2017, 08:23 AM.
  • ebt
    #keepittea
    • Dec 2012

Yep, thats two different units.

1.5nm=precision=pricey. http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/torque-wrenches/0663881/
    35nm, ten a penny really.

What are you working on that needs such a big variance?
    Free "cloud" store with Dropbox // Cheap Mobile SIM only deals with GiffGaff

Comment

• Nickpicks
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

Bahco do one with that range, but it's quite expensive at about £230.

Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Comment

• Tens
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

I suppose it depends how precise you need to be, but if you converted to foot pounds, you could "feel" what sort of force it is by setting up a nut and bolt horizontally in a vice, getting a spanner and foot long bit of wood taped to it and hang a pound weight off the end. I think the answer is it's approx a "slight tweak".

Comment

• Hot Totty
          Red Hot Totty ;)
          • Dec 2012

Try electrical wholesalers in the U.K. It's a requirement to torque fittings range typically 1-2nm
          www.wapsac.co.uk
          Apparently becoming a grandad

Comment

• Steve Clark
            Established TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

Depending on the application, you could try one of the those torque calibrated hex drive screwdrivers for sparkies. They are in the 1Nm range and much cheaper.

(Why anyone thinks an experienced electrician needs to use one to correctly tighten small terminals, when they tighten hundreds every week, I do not know! It's like asking an accountant to check their maths textbook every time they do some sums.)

Comment

• jamesp
              Established TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Steve Clark
              Depending on the application, you could try one of the those torque calibrated hex drive screwdrivers for sparkies. They are in the 1Nm range and much cheaper.

(Why anyone thinks an experienced electrician needs to use one to correctly tighten small terminals, when they tighten hundreds every week, I do not know! It's like asking an accountant to check their maths textbook every time they do some sums.)
              These days it is all about the audit trail, not did you do it properly, can you prove that it was done to a specification.

People wonder why productivity is so low in this country; half the job being keep the ambulance chasers off your back is a major part of it.

When "compliance" became a job title (or even Directors title), it was time to realise that actually doing the job was a mugs game.

Comment

• iain/hsm
                Banned
                • Jun 2014

Try Cromwell Tools Leicester the Tri Torq brand

Model FXL5 1/4" 1-5Nm £46 including VAT

and for the 35Nm try the 12-60Nm model FLX 63 £44 inc VAT

Ask for a works discount tell them its for resale to a client in anywhere you like just don't put it on our tab.
                Web prices are higher.

Manufactured from high-quality satin finish steel with a polished steel head, this unique triangular design linear torque wrench is suited for accurate and professional use. Suppli | Cromwell Tools

Comment

• jamesp
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by iain/hsm
                  Try Cromwell Tools Leicester the Tri Torq brand

Model FXL5 1/4" 1-5Nm £46 including VAT

and for the 35Nm try the 12-60Nm model FLX 63 £44 inc VAT

Ask for a works discount tell them its for resale to a client in anywhere you like just don't put it on our tab.
                  Web prices are higher.

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand...orque%20wrench
                  You slag off mom and pop slat wall, and then deal with Cromwell; the biggest brand swapping mob going.

I got fed up with sending stuff back, after they kept brand swapping to their own brand Chinese crap; prices always staid the same as European brands though.

Comment

• iain/hsm
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by jamesp
                    You slag off mom and pop slat wall, and then deal with Cromwell; the biggest brand swapping mob going.

I got fed up with sending stuff back, after they kept brand swapping to their own brand Chinese crap; prices always staid the same as European brands though.
                    Hahaha Yeah I did wonder if suggesting Machine Mart would fit in better with the Mom and Pop LDS's LOL

We supply the Norbar brand torque wrenches with the compressor tool kits and they supply us with the kits.
                    Its the only tool kit the customer ever receives safely.

By contrast a full tool set of Snap-On tools made it all the way to Antartica the stuff and came back two weeks ago, only for the Snap-on tool kit to vanish on the loading bay.

Also the Pelican case we supply with the spare parts is the other item that does "walk about" on a regular basis. Black was popular vanishing colour so we went to yellow made no difference. Orange isn't a popular colour in the vanishing scale so some hope at least.

On a brighter note that never happens with the Cromwell stuff.
                    Last edited by iain/hsm; 01-11-2017, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• jamesp
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

Someone will think it`s a Hilti case and lift it.

Cromwell is the Chinese shite that you decry any one else for using.

Comment

• drysuitdiver
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Steve Clark

its a bollox line in BS7671 . that says manufacturers recomendations must be followed. so the manufacturers of MCBs put a line in saying tighten to XNm .

the NICEIC dont bother checking my torque screwdriver . it gets used occasionally on verifcation.

big LV panels 500A up to 5000A get torqued as too tight can be as bad or a lot worse than too loose . I have a sealey torque wrench that gets calibrated 6 monthly , last 6 times have needed no tweaking of wrench.

Comment

• drysuitdiver
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2012

These days it is all about the audit trail, not did you do it properly, can you prove that it was done to a specification.

People wonder why productivity is so low in this country; half the job being keep the ambulance chasers off your back is a major part of it.

When "compliance" became a job title (or even Directors title), it was time to realise that actually doing the job was a mugs game.
                          problem is when it goes all melty bang bang and you need to prove that you did indeed do it right and to the spec. then your audit trail and compliance team are valued.

when you dont have it its expensive for the company ....

Comment

• Spinal
                            TDF Member
                            • May 2016

Thanks! Got a sparkie screwdriver in the end... will order the upper range later today.

(Application, in case it wasn't obvious, is closing a first stage after a service )

Comment

• iain/hsm
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2014

Cromwell is Chinese that you decry any one else for using.
                              I guess because it’s one thing servicing your own regulator once a year or in the field with the minimum of tools.

Quite another a LDS Dive Shop servicing five days a week 20 regulator a day at £70 a stage. (inc the £6 of parts used)

I’m just surprised you don’t see the difference here.

Comment

Working...