Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ck12

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    A23 12v batteries....

....and never use miltons on dive kit unless you like replacing gear. I use trigene from a vets suppliers, although Virkon is slightly better.

ps. paul, a display with no sensor will *not* read 0.00 unless you put a resistor/short across the input to the meter.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ebt View Post

ps. paul, a display with no sensor will *not* read 0.00 unless you put a resistor/short across the input to the meter.
    I don't have a Kiss display to test anymore but my homemade one displays 0.

No current = no voltage, multiply that by zero and you'll get zero volts. The meter is not using the cell to complete the circuit, it's just a voltmeter seeing zero volts, so will display 0.

As I say, I've not had mine for several years now, perhaps the OP could indulge me with a little experiment when he gets the correct batteries.

Actually, just re-read your comment, are you saying that the display will be blank or that it will display some sort of floating voltage with no cell?

I think that despite there being resistors in the cell itself as I think that's how the temperature compensation works, there's still a resistor across the contacts of the meter, so with no cell it'll read zero.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    'I saw some purple slug things on the Scylla, so I squished them' - #MiniBodger

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    From the manual:

PPO2 READ OUT IS ZERO OR‐1:
    If the read out is‐1 then sea water has come in contact with the circuit board and/or meter.Any parts that have
    come in contact with sea water must be replaced.
    If the read out is zero, then it could also be a dead sensor.

Granted not entirely conclusive.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Its just a DVM, if you float the inputs the amp will generate a small reading... (like 0.01x, depending on how the impedance matching is done)

the only way you get a real zero is to short the pins, hence the comment about the flooding you saw.
    Last edited by ebt; 22-10-2017 at 10:50 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just fitted correct batteries and units are working, not booked up to cells yet but with power on the readout in each is -.000

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    interesting!! my generation of displays floated....

guess I'll owe paul a pint then.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
    In it's simplest form, you could measure the output of the cell across a resistor (It's a current course,not a voltage source) and multiply the milivolts by a constant to give PO2, the resistor bridge just prevents you having to do sums underwater.
    I did this for a while after I flooded a display and had to replace a meter. It's just a Lascar DPM but there is a (tiny) surface mount resistor that has to be desoldered from the board to make it work as a PPO2 meter. I couldn't be arsed (i.e. I knew I'd fuck it up) so just installed it as it came out of the bag as a pure voltmeter. R22D cells output in mV is almost half of what the O2 content is in % (eg. 100% oxygen at the surface would read ~50mV on the display, use the trim pot to get it bang on). It wasn't a hard calc to do underwater, just double the reading and move the decimal point to get ppo2. I dived it for a long time (years) like that. I only ever bothered fixing it when I went to sell it.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    interesting!! my generation of displays floated....

guess I'll owe paul a pint then.
    Mine was 146, so had mk2 displays I think.
    They had optional backlights, but still required a plug rather than the twistable disk to trim.
    Thty were all screwed to a perspex sheet rather than the 'chocolate block' style.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Its just a DVM, if you float the inputs the amp will generate a small reading... (like 0.01x, depending on how the impedance matching is done)

the only way you get a real zero is to short the pins, hence the comment about the flooding you saw.
    Depends if they have a load resistor in the handset, if there is a load resistor in there then that will clamp the meter reading down to zero.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12