Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I've had one experience of it. All went well as per training etc but it is an odd feeling.
    Well done to you both for dealing with it successfully.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    was the valve open?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Indeed it was...

And we were on our way back up when it happened - at around 14m having done most of the dive at 20m or so - it wasn't a "cracked open a tad" and I checked it when I checked the regs after I was back on the boat and it was wide open. The sound on my camera was odd - lots of odd crackles so I think it started early in the dive.

The only slightly odd thing was I was descending slightly onto the bottom of the shot the plan being to allow us to ascend up the line from the bottom so it went tight when I was slightly head down.

I also learned that the standard octo hose is a bit short when you have to do it for real! I may well be investing in a longer one myself...
    Last edited by Energy58; 08-10-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    Indeed it was...
    I also learned that the standard octo hose is a bit short when you have to do it for real! I may well be investing in a longer one myself...
    Great point ... also was it configured to run over your buddy’s left or right shoulder? For me the AAS should come over the donors left shoulder if a conventional rig. Otherwise you need a good 30cm longer on the hose to make it work properly

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    (Cough)...... hog loop..... (cough cough)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    (Cough)...... hog loop..... (cough cough)
    Does Mrs May dive, then?

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    Great point ... also was it configured to run over your buddy’s left or right shoulder? For me the AAS should come over the donors left shoulder if a conventional rig. Otherwise you need a good 30cm longer on the hose to make it work properly
    The standard RHS under the arm with a fairly short hose - I was fortunate that in the buddy check I had straightened out my buddy's octo hose - otherwise we would have been very up close and personal at the start of the emergency! I can see the benefit of the LH shoulder option for that reason alone and have seen people dive that way but I think I will just buy a slightly longer hose - one guy I dive with has a full "hog loop" length octo hose bungied to the side of his cylinder but that is a PITA for teaching as you can't re-stow it.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There is a 5ft hose easliy available. Can be hog looped but not too much hose to stow if you do not want to hog loop for whatever reason

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The standard RHS under the arm with a fairly short hose - I was fortunate that in the buddy check I had straightened out my buddy's octo hose - otherwise we would have been very up close and personal at the start of the emergency! I can see the benefit of the LH shoulder option for that reason alone and have seen people dive that way but I think I will just buy a slightly longer hose - one guy I dive with has a full "hog loop" length octo hose bungied to the side of his cylinder but that is a PITA for teaching as you can't re-stow it.
    An additional benefit of the AAS over / under left shoulder is the hose run is not tending to pull the 2nd stage out of the recipient’s mouth. Think the hose on mine is 4 ft .. routing under arm and back to chest clip keeps it all tidy.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm sure everyone is going to give me a million reasons why this a crap idea but I've had one of these for years and never had a problem with it. It always seemed to me to be a really obvious solution to the "which side" problem ............

http://www.oceanicuk.com/products/re...wivel-octopus/

and yes I have used it in an OOA situation and nobody died .
    All the best
    Dave

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRB79 View Post
    I'm sure everyone is going to give me a million reasons why this a crap idea but I've had one of these for years and never had a problem with it. It always seemed to me to be a really obvious solution to the "which side" problem ............

http://www.oceanicuk.com/products/re...wivel-octopus/

and yes I have used it in an OOA situation and nobody died .
    I use an Apeks Egress on my recreational regulator for this very reason.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast