Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mares Icon HD is sh.t

I purchased a used Mares Icon HD with transmitter in April so no warranty. It was just over a year old and had 22 logged dives on it, no scratches or marks, A1 condition. I have now done a further 30ish dives.

When in the water its fine, nice and clear, everything easy to read and does what it says on the box.

However, when getting kitted up on a boat in bright sunshine its impossible to see the screen, I find myself huddled in a corner shielding the sun to set up a dive.

But now, the bloody thing wont even charge. It has been unused for 5-6weeks but when I went to charge it the other night ready for a dive the following day it wouldn't turn on or charge.
    At first I did see the little red LED to bottom right of screen, but now there is nothing showing.

I cant return it, and I suppose I may need to get it sent off to be put right at cost, but is it worth it i am thinking.

From online research I suspect it is just a faulty battery, so having no warranty I did open the battery cover and remove the battery. Its a simple lithium 18650 3.7V with 2600mAh. And pops out easy, but what Mares have done is to solder wires directly to the battery with a tiny connector plug so it hard wires to the computer. That also unplugs easy with a jewelers screwdriver as a tool, so in theory battery replacement is simple if it were not for the wiring. The wires need de-soldering from the old battery and soldered to the new one. Not something I fancy doing. Also I cant actually find any 18650 3.7V with 2600mAh, not from reputable named suppliers anyway, and eBay ones I have found may be counterfeit. Maplin etc have them at 3100mAh or above, that probably wont matter though.

Its all a pain in the .......

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Before you change the battery clean the contacts on the 4 pin charging cable and the charging point on the computer itself. I had an icon for some years - I bought it soon after the launch of the original version, and it worked well apart from needing a clean up every now and then. The battery was changed once but only after several years of very regular use.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Talk to Mares. A couple of guys in our club have had battery issues (not holding charge) with these computers with relatively few dives on them.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balanus View Post
    Before you change the battery clean the contacts on the 4 pin charging cable and the charging point on the computer itself. I had an icon for some years - I bought it soon after the launch of the original version, and it worked well apart from needing a clean up every now and then. The battery was changed once but only after several years of very regular use.
    Thanks for that advice. I had already spoken to a dive computer service centre and they said to clean the contacts with lemon juice and a toothbrush. I did do that but it made no difference. Its going away to be looked at. Thanks.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff1955 View Post
    Talk to Mares. A couple of guys in our club have had battery issues (not holding charge) with these computers with relatively few dives on them.
    Thanks, its going back to be looked at.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve the farmer View Post
    Thanks for that advice. I had already spoken to a dive computer service centre and they said to clean the contacts with lemon juice and a toothbrush. I did do that but it made no difference. Its going away to be looked at. Thanks.
    I was a tad more brutal. I used to give the contacts a quick rub with very fine grade emery cloth.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Fitting a 3100mAh battery will work... it'll take longer to charge fully, and longer to discharge... but surely that's not a bad thing?

M.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mares Icon HD surprises

More Icon HD issues; new when purchased, now roughly 4 years with only a handful of dives. Since purchase, the battery has been replaced already once and the unpleasant surprises keep coming; while fully charged when I attempt to switch it on an intermittent white/ black flashing disco screen appears which lasts for roughly 2 minutes and then displays the homescreen as normal and is responsive. Contacted Mares and took them nearly 2 weeks to respond. Live in Jakarta but directed to send to Italy through a local agent(?). Unhappy with the long response time, unhappy with the lame response from Mares, as a diving instructor this is not equipment I will recommend buying to any of my students. Anyone else has this issue btw?