Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    None divers but a couple of family members including one >80 have had stents recently the recovery to normal activity was very rapid, couple of days. There are a series of checkups with greater and greater gaps between them. Hope it all works out as you wish.
    --
    Ian
    "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" Denis Diderot

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    None divers but a couple of family members including one >80 have had stents recently the recovery to normal activity was very rapid, couple of days. There are a series of checkups with greater and greater gaps between them. Hope it all works out as you wish.
    Thank you. Your kind words are much appreciated.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would agree with what Ian and others have said. It's not a medical opinion (I'm not a cardiologist), but I've met many hundreds of people who lead a normal and active life after receiving a coronary stent, my old man included. All the best for the procedure and beyond.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewRawlingson View Post
    I would agree with what Ian and others have said. It's not a medical opinion (I'm not a cardiologist), but I've met many hundreds of people who lead a normal and active life after receiving a coronary stent, my old man included. All the best for the procedure and beyond.
    Thanks. Appreciated.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by braun View Post
    Thanks for that Brian. I'm glad you're well after the procedure and recovered from the heart attack.
    I had read about the issue with clopidogrel and bleeding although I hadn't given any thought to the possibility of the stent being rejected. Beginning to sound, on the one hand as a simple procedure where all is good to go within days/weeks, whilst on the other hand it seems a tad scary. Oh well, it is what it is and I shall have to see how things pan out for me as I go along.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond Brian. Appreciated.
    I misspoke. Actually it's not about the body rejecting the stent. The Clopidogrel prevents the platelets from forming on the stent causing a blocked artery.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Pre procedure assessment 29th September.
    Angiogram procedure 6th October.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I know a couple of divers that have had several stents each and are still diving.

I know one was told to stop teaching by BSAC but he carried on with that as well........

On a side note I was taken of methotrexate a couple of months ago, (too many side effects not enough benefit), and they swapped me to Leflunomide, lot gentler on the body so far.
    Last edited by SilentDiver; 19-09-2017 at 05:32 PM.
    Duct Tape is like "The Force". It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentDiver View Post
    I know a couple of divers that have had several stents each and are still diving.

I know one was told to stop teaching by BSAC but he carried on with that as well........

On a side note I was taken of methotrexate a couple of months ago, (too many side effects not enough benefit), and they swapped me to Leflunomide, lot gentler on the body so far.
    Nice information SilentDiver thank you.
    I had been on methotrexate and naproxen for a number of years but, like you, the side effects became intolerable. I'm waiting for the time being to see what the replacement will be. Not heard of the one you mention. How are you doing on it? Hopefully it's effective for you.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Still a bit early to tell long term effects but so far have seen some reduction of the pain in my hands, only at night though when they used to wake me up in agony feeling like they were locked rigid and I couldn't bend them or it was extremely painful to move them, during the day I start off OK in the mornings but by mid day they are killing me.

Unlike the weekly blood tests I had to have with methotrexate I am now on monthly tests and everything so far seems stable couple of side effects but nothing that will stop me taking it so far.

I am hoping that over time I will start to benefit a bit more but will wait and see.
    Duct Tape is like "The Force". It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Good luck. I feel your pain and understand how shitty it can be.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast