X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spinal
    TDF Member
    • May 2016

Dive Medicals

A query - I live in Switzerland, but teach (as a hobby) also in the UK and Italy.

My medical is due for renewal, and was tempted to just do it here (or in Italy). Is the same medical valid in the other countries? Or do I need a HSE specific one for when I'm in the UK?

M.
  • Chrisch
    Tofu eating wokerato
    • Jan 2013

HSE is just for work (paid employment). As far as I know a sport diver medical is acceptable throughout (geographic) Europe.
    There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
    With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

• Edward3c
      Established TDF Member
      • Feb 2013

It depends on which agency you’re going to teach.

If PADI, GUE et al. Yes, you need a HSE medical and follow the Diving At Work Regulations.

If BSAC, SAA or SSAC (or your national equivalent) and teaching as part of the club for no reward then it’s what your insurer requires. There is no legislation that requires a recreation diver to have a medical in the UK.

Comment

• smileydiver
        Not short, just concentrated awesome ;)
        • Dec 2012

As above, re if teaching or not. If you were diving with a PADI club and answer yes to any of the questions on the self declaration / liability form you'd need a fit to dive sign off from the doctor but not a full HSE medical if not working.
        The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

• Chrisch
          Tofu eating wokerato
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by smileydiver
          ... If you were diving with a PADI club and answer yes to any of the questions on the self declaration / liability form you'd need a fit to dive sign off from the doctor but not a full HSE medical if not working.
          What is a PADI club? I wasn't aware that PADI had a club structure at all?
          There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.

Comment

• Edward3c
            Established TDF Member
            • Feb 2013

As above, re if teaching or not. If you were diving with a PADI club and answer yes to any of the questions on the self declaration / liability form you'd need a fit to dive sign off from the doctor but not a full HSE medical if not working.
            By the very nature of PADI's structure a PADI instructor will always fall under the Diving At Work Regulations when teaching.

Comment

• smileydiver
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Chrisch
              What is a PADI club? I wasn't aware that PADI had a club structure at all?
              Well I am in one! In our case there is a dive centre that offers courses and a 'club' which does trips and socials. You don't pay to join the club, you pay for activities you want to take part in. I know several others who do the same sort of thing, some have a nominal joining fee. But on any trip or dive day, people diving with the club need to complete the liability forms and they are all kept for HSE purposes also.
              The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

• smileydiver
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Edward3c
                By the very nature of PADI's structure a PADI instructor will always fall under the Diving At Work Regulations when teaching.
                Correct, but even if not teaching and not at work (so no HSE medical required) a fit to dive note might be required to cover any qs answered yes.

Comment

• Chrisch
                  Tofu eating wokerato
                  • Jan 2013

Well I am in one! In our case there is a dive centre that offers courses and a 'club' which does trips and socials. You don't pay to join the club, you pay for activities you want to take part in. I know several others who do the same sort of thing, some have a nominal joining fee. But on any trip or dive day, people diving with the club need to complete the liability forms and they are all kept for HSE purposes also.
                  Is that not the shop club though? I was in a shop club and it wasn't affiliated to or connected with PADI in any way. I didn't think PADI had such affiliation and was/am interested to know if this has changed.

Comment

• smileydiver
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Chrisch
                    Is that not the shop club though? I was in a shop club and it wasn't affiliated to or connected with PADI in any way. I didn't think PADI had such affiliation and was/am interested to know if this has changed.
                    Ah, I see what you mean now. No, no, this is just a club in the sense that people get together and do things but no official PADI affiliation. You are correct though that the dive centre is linked to PADI as a training facility. For all our trips, whether training or not we are all asked to sign the liability and self cert forms though. So, if someone came along to join us on a trip or diving day, they would need to show cert card and any necessary paperwork for any yes answers. Anyone can join the trips, they don't have to be PADI trained. I was meaning PADI club as in the dive centre is PADI affiliated not a direct link. Apologies for any confusion. A PADI dive centre linked club might be a better way to put it

Comment

• Chrisch
                      Tofu eating wokerato
                      • Jan 2013

... Apologies for any confusion. ...
                      No worries. The idea has been mooted before and I thought I might have missed the change.

Comment

• bubbleless
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Dec 2012

Some clubs use independent instructors to train their members....

Comment

• Paulo
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Edward3c
                          Even if working for free?
                          If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• drysuitdiver
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Paulo
                            Even if working for free?
                            Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Paulo
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by drysuitdiver
                              Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Just as well its just a UK thing! The lobby groups were quite effective when that one was brought it
                              If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

Working...