Banner Ad

Recently bagged Sports Diver: What next?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paulo
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Do 100 dives before Xmas 2018. That will give you enough in water time in a short enough timeframe to have the situational awareness that you need to progress.

Just enjoy being in the water. If you want badges join the boy scouts
    If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• Wardy_uk
      Established TDF Member
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Paulo
      Do 100 dives before Xmas 2018. That will give you enough in water time in a short enough timeframe to have the situational awareness that you need to progress.

Just enjoy being in the water. If you want badges join the boy scouts
      never really got on in the scouts...

its nothing to do with badge collecting - I enjoy developing skills and learning new ones

re the comments above re B&T - since dive 1 in the pool I've strived for the best B&T I can achieve... obv it looks good but Ive known from the start its the key to being able to everything else well... long story short, I did B&T at the start of this year....

Comment

• Mikael
        Could start a fight in a convent.
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Wardy_uk
        did 25m earlier this week, and only stopped for a few seconds...
        For depth progression spending time at each increment is important vs doing something more akin to a bounce dive. If you spend more time at any given depth you'll build experience of how comfortable you feel there, how your real world gas consumption compares to that you calculated when planning the dive and how quickly your no decompression time runs down. The comfort thing also needs to be tested as you perform various tasks such as navigating, sticking to your dive plan, staying close to your buddy, using underwater signals, catching a lobster, sending up a DSMB,.. etc. By doing these things you may also start to appreciate that ever present but deceptively in background nitrogen narcosis you are suffering. This is important, especially if you are getting into boat diving onto wrecks or reefs where the dive profile will naturally tend to me more square.

No doubt your instructor said all of this but worth repeating.
        Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Comment

• Allan Carr
          Established TDF Member
          • Dec 2012

I know some SD's with over 1000 dives under their belt although they qualified before the current depth limit for SD's was imposed so deep dives are not in breach of the rules. DL is as was said above more about leading less qualified divers but is a necessary step if you want to move on to AD which has a lot of extra skills.

Comment

• Paulo
            Established TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

I can't believe that it is me that is suggesting this but ......

Have you considered doing Fundies? I think you may just be the ideal candidate, keen, motivated, eager to learn and new enough to be easily moulded
            If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• Wardy_uk
              Established TDF Member
              • Jan 2016

given serious consideration to fundies early next year. I'm looking at getting a twinset later this year, so want to sort that first - then possibly fundies or equivalent...

Comment

• jturner
                Established TDF Member
                • Jan 2013

given serious consideration to fundies early next year. I'm looking at getting a twinset later this year, so want to sort that first - then possibly fundies or equivalent...
                Quick question and a thought! Firstly, why do you want to start using a twinset? Nothing wrong with doing that, just there's no need to do so unless you really need all that gas or just want to! A single 15L and a pony will go a long way.

Secondly, if you are thinking of considering Fundies, I'd suggest that you do that first and borrow a twinset from your Fundies instructor and let them teach you how to use it: you pay a lot for that course so get as much from it as you can. It will make the course a bit harder but you can learn the GUE style and methods from day 1 rather than learning one skillset then doing another straight afterwards. At the very least, consider borrowing a GUE-style twinset if you want to play with one first then it will be familiar... given the Frankenstein clustersets that you can see at many inland sites, it's probably a good idea. Twinsets are not hard to use but the setup is more subtle and important than you might imagine.
                The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I worked for etc.

Comment

• John63
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

An ideal candiate for one of the GUE experience days I would have thought.

Comment

• Wardy_uk
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by jturner
                    Quick question and a thought! Firstly, why do you want to start using a twinset? Nothing wrong with doing that, just there's no need to do so unless you really need all that gas or just want to! A single 15L and a pony will go a long way.

Secondly, if you are thinking of considering Fundies, I'd suggest that you do that first and borrow a twinset from your Fundies instructor and let them teach you how to use it: you pay a lot for that course so get as much from it as you can. It will make the course a bit harder but you can learn the GUE style and methods from day 1 rather than learning one skillset then doing another straight afterwards. At the very least, consider borrowing a GUE-style twinset if you want to play with one first then it will be familiar... given the Frankenstein clustersets that you can see at many inland sites, it's probably a good idea. Twinsets are not hard to use but the setup is more subtle and important than you might imagine.
                    greater redundancy, coupled with longer bottom time. I'm currently diving with single 15 on my back, and when the need arises, a staged 7 - giving me a max of 22l, so close to the 24 I'd get from twin 12's

do I *need* the twinset approach, possibly not, but the more I dive, the more I'm likely to be diving with other twinset divers (currently its about 50/50 I'm either diving with someone in twin 12's or someone on a single 12) so - to me at least - switching to twin 12's makes the most sense - and it would be with a "DIR" type setup, again for consistency.

Comment

• Wardy_uk
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by John63
                      An ideal candiate for one of the GUE experience days I would have thought.
                      yep - working on that... the last two run locally fell on days I couldn't make... just waiting for @Badger to arrange another one at Stoney

Comment

• Badger
                        GUE Instructor
                        • Jan 2013

let me look at some dates again

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
                        GUE Instructor

Comment

• johnkendall
                          GUE Tech and Cave Instructor
                          • Dec 2012

If you're interested in fundamentals, then I'm running a class based out of Nottingham in October, with one space on it. The other two participants are in single tank, so there will be a very recreational bias to the class, and I would think would suit you well with your experience.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
                          John Kendall
                          GUE Instructor Trainer, Tech and Cave Instructor www.johnkendall.com
                          www.divinganalysers.com - Nitrox, Trimix and Single Gas Analysers
                          www.santi-store.co.uk - Santi Drysuits, Undersuits and Accessories

Comment

• scuba
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Aug 2015

I've got 40 dives under my belt in total, with an in water time aproaching 30hrs

I'm more interested in longer dives than deeper, so am currently diving a 15l single with a 7l stage to extend bottem time
                            Do you know what you SAC rate is? If you have needed a 7l with a 15l on dives where you have been restricted to 20m max unless you have had exceptionally long dives I would leave the next course for a while and concentrate on getting comfortable in the water, which will in itself reduce your air consumption rate. Get very comfortable with the kit you have before thinking about moving to twins.

Do you do two dives in a day? If you do having twins won't help as you will be reducing the amount of air you have available to you.

Comment

• Wardy_uk
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Jan 2016

SAC's around 18-20

Like the twin set i dont *need* the 7, its there for redundancy, and extra long dives

Comment

• MikeF
                                Established TDF Member
                                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by notdeadyet
                                Go diving and forget further training. Learn to enjoy diving not learning to dive.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
                                this. too many people think diving is about training and doing the next course and the next course. once they've done all the courses they give up because there's 'nothing left to challenge them'. big mistake.

there's a reason you're club mates are saying just go diving for now. get out there and use what you've learned to have fun.

Comment

Working...