Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ironically, despite having a pair of perfectly good drysuits in the dive shed, I'm currently eyeing up a 5mm wetsuit for UK snorkelling purposes. I already have a 3mm shortie which is OK for shorter sessions on sunny days, but I'm getting cold after an hour or so and that's in the height of summer.

I started my diving life in a 7+7mm semidry suit, which by today's standards would be considered a wetsuit! I did about 2 years, diving all year round and in the summer it was bearable, almost pleasant at times. In the winter, 20 minutes was max endurance and my air consumption was hilarious. It was unpleasant, but I was 17, skint and had a burning passion to get underwater, no matter how painful it was.

These days, a tri-lam drysuit is my weapon of choice for UK diving, no matter how warm it gets. The wetsuit is the better option for snorkelling and mucking about in the sea, but as I say, I'm now considering a full length one in 5mm. I can add the shortie over the top if I need to for the colder seasons.
    DISCLAIMER: If you don't understand this shit, ask a grown up, preferably someone with deep pockets, who your widow/kids can sue. Don't trust people on the internet with your life, your credit card details or your naked selfies! This advice may contain, or indeed be written by someone who is (clinically), nuts.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_6301 View Post
    Ironically, despite having a pair of perfectly good drysuits in the dive shed, I'm currently eyeing up a 5mm wetsuit for UK snorkelling purposes. I already have a 3mm shortie which is OK for shorter sessions on sunny days, but I'm getting cold after an hour or so and that's in the height of summer.
    Buy a 2 piece spearo suit with no zip, far better than a general diving wetsuit. I can spend a couple of hours in the water in winter quite happily when freediving with my 5mm two piece. Usually they are made from softer, more flexible neoprene so ok for wearing for longer periods.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My dry suit goes away in May and doesn't usually come back out until December time last year it didn't come back out and the coldest dive was 6 degrees.

I have the O3 6x5 with a hooded over vest and should it be required a 6mm over shorty.

Hour long dives are great, followed by a 2nd quite happily. 90% of my diving is non deco or close to, hanging around could well change that view but it's semi / wet diving most of the year for me.
    Andy
    www.budediveclub.co.uk
    www.gafirs.org.uk
    If it moves - canoe it, if it doesn't dive it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12