X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SPARKMEL
    TDF Member
    • Mar 2014

Padi e learning

My 11 year old is preparing for his Padi ow course in Turkey next month, in order to save him sitting in a classroom in 40 degrees for hours on end we got him the e learning course. First impression is that it is very good. The majority of learning is video clips with explanations throughout, my kids don't read books ( tut tut ) I know but its the modern era of technology. The tablet or pc version is great. He has really taken to it as questions are asked through the course with exam at the end. Price is a tad expensive at £ 115 but it will benefit us on holiday and he is learning more and easier than reading the manual. He could never understand water displacement but the video clips gave him examples so he has cracked it.
    I took him to local dive shop where I arranged his DSD for him just as a refresher, the instructor bombarded the students with questions and to his credit he answered them all much to the delight of the instructor so it proved to me that he was learning from the course.
    Overall, great learning tool if you don't read books . I would definitely recommend this to any new diver..

MARK..
    I think i'm going to need a bigger house..
  • Phate
    Bewildered Nomad
    • Jan 2014

SWMBO did it for her OW. Was useful for us as we were on the move so it was easier to do via a tablet or laptop instead of lugging a book around.

It's good! Glad PADI have done it.
    Travel Blog Twitter

Comment

• Spinal
      TDF Member
      • May 2016

It's definitely a step in the right direction.

Sad that it's so much more expensive than the traditional crewpack, but any progress is still progress

Comment

• Paulo
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Spinal
        It's definitely a step in the right direction.

Sad that it's so much more expensive than the traditional crewpack, but any progress is still progress
        The schools usually have a reduced rate for people that have done the e-learning
        If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• Spinal
          TDF Member
          • May 2016

Originally posted by Paulo
          The schools usually have a reduced rate for people that have done the e-learning
          Sorry - I wasn't taking into account the course cost, just the materials (I teach for free to friends and family)

The eLearning costs more (at level 4/5 pricing) than the crewpack once you consider:
          - it doesn't include the erpML or slates (available separately)
          - PIC is "integrated", so if a student decides not to complete the course, the PIC cannot be reassigned to someone else

Comment

• SPARKMEL
            TDF Member
            • Mar 2014

Yes that is very true, lucky I have my first crew pack which has the slates and erpML. I done the referral option which was great, all the learning stuff at home and all the good stuff abroad. My son is enjoying the e learning in the comfort of his room and can study at his own pace, I could not imagine sitting in 35 degrees in a hot classroom trying to study for 8 hours.

Comment

• Spinal
              TDF Member
              • May 2016

Originally posted by SPARKMEL
              Yes that is very true, lucky I have my first crew pack which has the slates and erpML. I done the referral option which was great, all the learning stuff at home and all the good stuff abroad. My son is enjoying the e learning in the comfort of his room and can study at his own pace, I could not imagine sitting in 35 degrees in a hot classroom trying to study for 8 hours.
              I agree - the referral system is really nice

As an FYI - you can also do the referral with the books/crewpack. In fact, you can do the confined/pool dives in the UK and then go straight into the open water dives abroad (with a skills assessment), which is also a nice option as a pool is pretty much the same anywhere in the world.

Comment

• Treerat
                The swimming rodent
                • Dec 2012

Mark

Have you booked and confirmed the course with the centre?

I was planning to do the same thing earlier in the year and had to divert to the Fuerteventura as there is some Turkish rule around not teaching those under 14 entry level diving in Turkish waters.
                Andy
                www.budediveclub.co.uk
                www.gafirs.org.uk
                If it moves - canoe it, if it doesn't dive it!

Comment

• SPARKMEL
                  TDF Member
                  • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Treerat
                  Mark

Have you booked and confirmed the course with the centre?

I was planning to do the same thing earlier in the year and had to divert to the Fuerteventura as there is some Turkish rule around not teaching those under 14 entry level diving in Turkish waters.
                  Hi Andy, Yes I had to go and research this myself, The rule is under 14 cannot dive without an instructor and must take part in a training course. That is how they get around it. So if I wanted to dive with my son who is 11 regardless of his dive experience I would not be allowed. When I first heard about this a did have a wee sweat but all is fine. Where did you dive in Fuerteventura ? We done dives with ABYSS in Corrallejo.
                  Thanks for reply
                  MARK

Comment

• seadweller
                    TDF Member
                    • Jul 2017

That's interesting . In the US , specifically the Florida Keys , as long as the Jr. diver is with an adult he is permitted to dive without
                    a certified professional . Our reefs are very shallow with the exception of our wrecks . Both PADI and SSI offer great e-learning
                    programs . Hope you enjoy your diving adventure !
                    Sea Dwellers www.seadwellers.com

Comment

Working...