Banner Ad

Liverpool early evening meal/chill-out venue?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jen - Winged Blob
    Supergnu
    • Dec 2012

Liverpool early evening meal/chill-out venue?

I'm off to the Isle of Man later today, rendez-vous planned with other group members in Liverpool before catching the ferry.

However, due to logistics and caution, we'll have something like 2 hours between arriving in the area and lining up to catch the ferry. We might as well have an early meal while we're killing time, so any recommendations? Doesn't have to be anywhere fancy, but preferably something a little more welcoming than a motorway café. And open from around 4pm. It doesn't have to be too central - we'll be arriving from the M62 so anything along that way on the outskirts would work well too.
  • jamesp
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

I was in the centre last week, Lime Street to Brownlow Hill.
    Nothing worth bothering with there.
    Liverpool 1, Albert Dock might be better; but I am guessing.

Comment

• topper133
      TDF Member
      • Jul 2016

New place opened up, went last week, Red Dog Saloon, great meal.

The page you are looking for doesn't exist or has been moved.

Comment

• Titanic
        TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by topper133
        New place opened up, went last week, Red Dog Saloon, great meal.

http://www.reddogsaloon.co.uk/menus
        If you can find (and park for) Bold Street where the above establishment is situated you will find plenty of choice just walking down that road.
        If you want cheap, cheerful and good beer quality the Lime Kiln Wetherspoon is just off Bold Street as well.
        The Lime Kiln is a Wetherspoon pub in Liverpool, Merseyside. Our pub offers a range of real ales, craft beers and freshly ground Lavazza coffee. Breakfast is served until noon, with our full food menu available until 11pm.

Alternatively, usually easy to park at Albert Dock which is pretty much right by the ferry terminal, good choice there as well, but more touristy prices.
        You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

• MikeF
          Established TDF Member
          • Dec 2012

Tai Pan, Atlantic Business Park, Great Howard St, Liverpool L5 9TZ

reasonable quality and price with parking. it's at the end of the dock road and a few minutes from the ferry terminal

Comment

• Alby R
            Established TDF Member
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Jen - Winged Blob
            I'm off to the Isle of Man later today, rendez-vous planned with other group members in Liverpool before catching the ferry.

However, due to logistics and caution, we'll have something like 2 hours between arriving in the area and lining up to catch the ferry. We might as well have an early meal while we're killing time, so any recommendations? Doesn't have to be anywhere fancy, but preferably something a little more welcoming than a motorway café. And open from around 4pm. It doesn't have to be too central - we'll be arriving from the M62 so anything along that way on the outskirts would work well too.
            hi jen

this place is right on the pier head over the mersey ferry building about couple hundred yards from the sea cat berth thats assuming the seacat still berths at the pier head.

alby

Comment

• braun
              Cancelled Account
              • Jan 2013

It's Liverpool. If you want to keep the wheels on your car take sandwiches and eat them in the car

Comment

• notdeadyet
                Nicotine, valium, vicodin...
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by MikeF
                Tai Pan, Atlantic Business Park, Great Howard St, Liverpool L5 9TZ

reasonable quality and price with parking. it's at the end of the dock road and a few minutes from the ferry terminal
                Tai Pan is good, they have a branch in Manchester as well. It used to attract a certain, ahem, "businessman" clientele from the Chinese community so the food always tended to be good.

Probably too late now but loads of good bars round the Ropewalks area. Despite some of the comments above, Liverpool is probably my favourite English city, it's a fantastic place. Eclipses Manchester which I think is a shithole now. I live between the two, I'd far rather go out in Liverpool. And again, despite comments above, the city centre is far safer than Manchester (shithole particularly at night).
                Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Comment

• braun
                  Cancelled Account
                  • Jan 2013

LOL that must be a first. Someone from Manchester (Titanic) disliking a post knocking Liverpool.

Comment

• Titanic
                    TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by braun
                    LOL that must be a first. Someone from Manchester (Titanic) disliking a post knocking Liverpool.
                    Lived in both but bored with the constant recycling of old stereotypes under the guise of no longer funny jokes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

• Mrs Bomber
                      Ex diving wife of diver
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by notdeadyet
                      Tai Pan is good, they have a branch in Manchester as well. It used to attract a certain, ahem, "businessman" clientele from the Chinese community so the food always tended to be good.

Probably too late now but loads of good bars round the Ropewalks area. Despite some of the comments above, Liverpool is probably my favourite English city, it's a fantastic place. Eclipses Manchester which I think is a shithole now. I live between the two, I'd far rather go out in Liverpool. And again, despite comments above, the city centre is far safer than Manchester (shithole particularly at night).
                      I agree, Liverpool is definitely my favourite of the two cities, I've noticed a huge improvement in the place since I moved up here 10 years ago, I like Manchester city centre but do find it quite bland.

Comment

• braun
                        Cancelled Account
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Titanic
                        Lived in both but bored with the constant recycling of old stereotypes under the guise of no longer funny jokes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        Oh dear did somebody fall out of the bed on the wrong side?

Comment

• Jen - Winged Blob
                          Supergnu
                          • Dec 2012

Many thanks for the gastro suggestions, folks. As it happened, yesterday's logistics ended in disarray, as the side wall of my front tyre blew a hole on the M62. My apologies to anyone travelling westbound yesterday afternoon who was caught in the tailback arising from lack of a fourth lane for the couple of hours I was stuck on it - it was a hard shoulder when I first ground to a halt there!

So Sainsbury's snack pork pies had to fill the gap and Liverpool will be for another time.

Comment

Working...