X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beduffshirl
    TDF Member
    • Oct 2013

Ramipril

I've recently been diagnosed with a fairly low dose of these to control blood pressure.
    They are doing the trick and blood pressure is normal but I suspect that means I will be staying on the tablets.

To be honest I've not done any diving since last November but am hoping to go in UK soon and have a couple of overseas trips later in the year.
    I intend to go for a dive medical but just wondered if anyone else takes these and still dives with no problem.
    Just looking for a bit of reassurance
  • Tim Digger
    Prior Member
    • Feb 2013

Should be fine. Only significant side effect is cough in about 30% of people if affected then get changed to something ending in artan, usually Losartan. Same effect different metabolic route a bit more expensive for the NHS. If not affected then it should be fine for life, just keep taking the tablets. A dive medical should check for end organ damage and would like to see the results of an ECG and any blood tests done when you went on treatment it will save you money/time if you can prise these out of your GP to show to the dive doctor.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Comment

• steelemonkey
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

I have been on these for some years. No problems. Get through dive medicals OK.
      Paul.
      If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
      Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Comment

• Beduffshirl
        TDF Member
        • Oct 2013

Thanks guys
        Very reassuring
        Do you go for a proper Dive medical and if so how often? I've been to the one at the midlands Dive chamber before and they are excellent.

Comment

• Tim Digger
          Prior Member
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Beduffshirl
          Thanks guys
          Very reassuring
          Do you go for a proper Dive medical and if so how often? I've been to the one at the midlands Dive chamber before and they are excellent.
          Ask the doctor doing the medical. Mine says every couple of years as I get older. And try to get him to put an expery date on the medical if more than 1 year. It will vary depending on condition. The logical answer is if your condition or medication changes or maybe every couple of years if >60 years. The two extremes are if you had a medical because of a one off condition with no implications for the future then it should be fine for life, if you are an insulin dependent diabetic then annually. I note however that logic and good sense do not necessarily apply in the world of PADI lawyers or Insurers.
          Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
          Tim Digger

Comment

• steelemonkey
            Established TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

My certs last for 2 years as long as the medication does not change. This includes dosage.
            Paul.
            If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
            Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Comment

• braun
              Cancelled Account
              • Jan 2013

Where I'm diving again in Indonesia the cert has to have been signed within the previous 12 months, regardless of the examiners expiry date.

Comment

• turnerjd
                Established TDF Member
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by braun
                Where I'm diving again in Indonesia the cert has to have been signed within the previous 12 months, regardless of the examiners expiry date.
                Same here in France. Only valid for one year.
                My Club (in French)
                My research group
                My work

Comment

Working...