Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    AFAIK the newer version is not actually a 'normal' VHF (I.e does not let you make/receive voice transmissions) but only transmits your location via DSC, either in 'normal' mode (to a pre-programmed Mmsi - meaning you need to set this ahead of time) or in 'distress' mode, meaning it should set off an alarm with your location on any dsc equipped receiver within range. However DSC transmissions are actually made on VHF channel 70, 16 is just used for the voice transmissions,.. so that might be the frequency to lookup and compare.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    yes.

DSC calls are made on 156.525 which is channel 70 not 16

http://www.malinheadcoastguardradio....20network.html

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    That rings a bell from the short range cert. Think 156.525 is standard world wide.

So it will just send out a DSC message with your location?

Anyone know if it keeps updating your location in case you are drifting?
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    yes it does. the AIS should also put out position, direction of travel and speed over ground if you interrogate the AIS MOB signal

I'll put a caveat on that. the old one did not sure about the new one.

http://www.divernet.com/diver-tests/...escue-gps.html
    Last edited by MikeF; 14-08-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    BLUF - is the Nautilus worth having for Irish / UK type diving?
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    how quickly do you want to be found? I carry the old nautilus lifeline, a mcmurdo S10 and a fastfind 220 PLB but I'm shit scared of being lost on the surface . done it once for half an hour or so and have had mates lost at sea for 3 hrs, 5 hrs and 7 hours diving off SW Ireland and Shetland. it's flippin lonely out there in a big Atlantic swell or surfacing in the middle of a fog bank 25 miles out in the North Sea (did that once and it definitely wasn't even remotely amusing)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    For €150 I might as well take a punt

Established TDF Member thetrickster's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have the older Nautilus which has the VHF radio, for me and the locations I dive its good, however in some places I've been, the boat crews are using mobiles, no radios, so not much use.

Only thing that concerns me is the lack of user replaceable battery, which has been corrected on the newer one.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauk962 View Post
    I'm leaning towards the Nautilus, as you do not need to register it to a vessel. Whereas you do with the Fast find. Which is a shame as the McDurmo is more compact and I already have a custom divers canister.
    Are you sure? I have the mcmurdo 220 and all you have to do is register it with mcga.co.uk before you go away!!! -"Unlike EPIRBs which are registered to a specific vessel and must be re-registered if moved to a different boat, a PLB is registered to a person and so can be carried with you wherever you are - at sea, hiking, mountaineering or in any remote location or situation where you may require rescue. PLBs are subscription-free devices, so have no cost of ownership after the initial purchase." This came directly from -http://www.mcmurdogroup.com/mcmurdo-products/mcmurdo-fastfind-220/

I have the cd canister and so far all seems well with it, no leaks at all which other divers have reported!

I took it to s africa and mozambique with me a number of times and use it on every dive. It is a great device. You don't need to change the batts often, but be warned I believe it is about 60 to replace them!
    Last edited by greatwhite; 15-08-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    how quickly do you want to be found? I carry the old nautilus lifeline, a mcmurdo S10
    S10 definitely works as someone unintentionally set his off on Sunday, whilst still in harbour, and the first warning was a visit from the RNLI inshore lifeboat!

We already knew how effective they are as a couple of years ago we used the boat AIS receiver to locate a diver in simulated poor surface visibility.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast