Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by drmwc View Post
    Interesting idea.

I took the diagnosis from the diving docs at the chamber, who were certain it was a bend. Each treatment improved me , which is a pretty good indicator.
    Regarding trying to ascertain if you are bent or not, a simple test passed on to me by a Doctor of Hyperbaric medicine is as follows: If you did not experience these symptoms BEFORE the dive, then you are bent.
    Its a pretty easy protocol to follow!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cathal View Post
    Regarding trying to ascertain if you are bent or not, a simple test passed on to me by a Doctor of Hyperbaric medicine is as follows: If you did not experience these symptoms BEFORE the dive, then you are bent.
    And with neuritis vestibularis, the sudden onset can also happen after a dive, so then misdiagnoses. And it improves sometimes also after 6-8 hours, so another misdiagnoses.
    So a good diagnoses is not that easy. But a chamberride will not harm then. Only thing is that you can dive again as soon as you think you are fit enough again with neuritis vestibularis as swimming and diving gives you rest and seeking limits is adviced to make you heal faster. But you maybe got a wrong stamp.
    (I know examples of people who got bent and directly after a chamber ride went diving again without problems, but this is sometimes not adviced. ).

So a right diagnoses can be hard.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by germie View Post
    And with neuritis vestibularis, the sudden onset can also happen after a dive, so then misdiagnoses. And it improves sometimes also after 6-8 hours, so another misdiagnoses.
    So a good diagnoses is not that easy. But a chamberride will not harm then.

So a right diagnoses can be hard.
    The probability or incidence of neuritis vestibularis in the general diving population might be worth considering before discounting DCI.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cathal View Post
    But as with most things doctors tell patients it's over simplified. I would agree that new problems post dive are likely to be a DCI. AND should be assumed to be so by all first responders etc. But any hyperbaric doc who has done it for long enough will tell you of exceptions and where these have other time critical treatments a differential diagnosis and thought re committing to 8 hours of recompression making everything else more difficult or impossible is important. We are talking probabilities with all diagnosis and a diagnosis becomes more probable/accurate with more information. Circumstances alter cases, a 65 year old diver with treated high blood pressure who becomes unable to move one side of body 6 hours after an uneventful dive to 20m within NDL is as likely to be having a stroke as a DCI. A twenty year old after the same dive it's probably DCI, I would want a MRI scan if available before treating the older diver with recompression, while recompression will do no harm the delay in diagnosis might, the young one just treat anything other than DCI is unlikely.
    There are also issues with terminology, a bend is an imprecise term, in its original meaning it was musculoskeletal pains following shallow long duration caisson pressure exposure. These were often repetitive owing to the socioeconomic status of the individuals labouring in the caissons. DCI strictly includes barotrauma. Sadly terminological inexactitude is not limited to non doctors. The problem is that terms are used loosely and then reused by others with even less meaning, even though in many cases the correct usage does not matter at the time it may well do later. Sorry I will climb off my hobby horse now.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Agree completely, but I think this Doctor was taking about those in denial and also the likely probability of Symptoms presenting post dive are more likely going to lead to a diagnosis of DCI.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345