Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Carrying Cameras to Hurghada/Marsa Alam

Has anyone had any issues carrying a housed Camera, lenses & strobes to Egypt since the laptop ban?

I prefer to carry it in hand luggage as I've seen the baggage handlers technique there!
    Tea Boy

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    THe laptop and mobile phone ban is restricted to laptops tablets and mobile phones - and their accessories - hard-drives, power-banks etc.
    It does not apply to cameras. Any spare batteries are best well insulated and put in the hold - at least on the way back.

However, airlines seem to be behaving as if it does apply to cameras, so assume to put them in the hold for the return flight!

https://www.scubatravel.com/blog/new...s-tips-flight/

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Saaid Rashid posted the following experience to Fb today, shared here with permission.
    He was on a flight with Thomas Cook, though I think it'd be similar using any carrier.

My observations of Egyptian airport security at moment.

Time from arriving at the Hurghada airport to getting to the departure gate, 2 1/2hrs

This is by far the longest it has ever taken me to get through an airport, although others were quicker than me.

All bags searched thoroughly twice before the check in desk. Some spare batteries were in cheap .70p fans that I had purchased for this reason, others were in their chargers. No problems with these at all. I did have to demonstrate almost all of my camera/diving gear. They didnít like a few things, my bag tracker (which could be why itís having a nice trip around the world right now and not with me) my dive computer transmitter, iPhone back up battery, strobes and oddly my snoot! I managed to explain all of these but it did take some time with much head scratching from the Egyptians. Big security sticker applied to bag at this point.
    Non-diving tourists seemed to be having the most problems, mostly because they were being rude to security with much shouting and complaining from them. Some being taken into a side room for 'full' checks

Check in wasnít really a problem apart from being very slow and for the first time measuring my hand luggage!
    Next security check after immigration was much like the first, everything was taken out of my bag so it could be scanned a few times. I forgot I left a book and some cable ties in a secret pocket in my carry on, oh how we all laughed at this, hmmm!

Again others didnít seem to understand the many signs and advice given about what couldnít be taken onto the plane, with again much shouting from what I think were non-divers holidaymakers. There was a nice box full of batteries here!
    One more basic check before the gate, no problems for me here but many given Ďrandomí full checks with a few being taken into a side room. These seemed to be mostly women.

My main bag must have been checked once more because when I got to Gatwick the lock was missed and the bag was open. From what I can tell most of my belongings are there apart from the bag tracker I mentioned before, thatsí in the Med right now. Not sure I will see that again!!

Plane was delayed about 30mins because of 2 that were having some issues at security, so the plane will wait if there are problems.

My top tips is smile, be helpful, donít get angry or stressed. These guys are just doing a job, trying to keep us safe. Rules have been put in for this reason.
    Egypt is still an amazing place to visit and for for us at the moment very cheap after the Egyptian pound was recently devalued, things locally are costing about a third what they did last year. Although this may not be as good for the locals, maybe help them out by spending more!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks for this link. I am not surprised, it was heading this way when I went through just when they brought in the batteries in hold nonsense. Don't think I will see the Red Sea again, sad. But then the whole situation depends on how travel security especially the US Dept of Homeland Insecurity decide to organise checks. Unfortunately divers and their needs are way down the list of those whose views might be considered. Big business and airlines investing in aircraft with Internet access for business are more likely to be listened to. I could see a situation where to take a laptop you have an in depth security check with your laptop sent in advance, only available for business class of course. It's a pity that a few more of the choice dive destinations around the world are kicking off in ways that may encourage terrorism, Philippines particularly.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Established TDF Member thetrickster's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Anyone else travelled to Hurghada recently with their diving / camera gear? To be provide any follow up to the above.

Last time it was in Feb/Mar and we could still take our laptops and the like.

Really want to take my video camera gear in Oct....

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrickster View Post
    Anyone else travelled to Hurghada recently with their diving / camera gear? To be provide any follow up to the above.

Last time it was in Feb/Mar and we could still take our laptops and the like.

Really want to take my video camera gear in Oct....
    Last month i took my camera with me flying into Hurghada but on the way back left it in my main bag. Had a camera torch in my hand bag on the way back but had removed the battery prior. So that was ok. The final check was the one that was pretty extensive. They had male and female queues too. The female one went way back from the male. think it was because of the lack of female security guards. As above - be patient and smile during the whole process.
    Last edited by Eddie Clamp; 24-07-2017 at 10:31 AM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I flew back from Hurghada last week, and security there is intense, but more organised than it was at the end of March when the rules about laptop and spare batteries came in.

I only have one strobe (Inon Z240) and took only two sets of batteries (8 enloop AA). My camera is an Olympus EM-10, and I only took 2 batteries. This turned out to be sufficient, I just swapped after 2 dives.

The way I packed was:

Camera in housing carried in hand luggage. Battery in the camera.
    Strobe in hand luggage, batteries in.
    Spare strobe batteries in cheap plastic torch in hold luggage.
    Spare camera battery placed in charger in hold luggage.
    Laptop and kindle in hold luggage
    E-Cig carried on person, spare battery in spare e-cig body in hold luggage.

The security steps are:

1/ Show passport and ticket at main entrance.

2/ Scan of all luggage before check-in. Many bags searched (probably 40% of passengers), but not mine. I didn't hear of anyone having items confiscated.

3/ Check-in ask questions about laptops/kindles/spare batteries/powerbanks, but do not search (they did last March). I answered honestly and had no issue. A few peolple had small powerbanks confiscated, but I didn't hear of any other issues.

4/ Hand luggage scan after passport control. Quite intense, many people searched.

5/ Hand luggage search just before departure gate. Everyone had their bags empties, electrical items had to be turned on, followed by pat down search. At this point they didn't like the batteries in the strobe (apparently they may overheat and explode according to the official), but he just told me to but then in a plastic bag.

Timing wise, we arrived at the airport at 18:00, and got to the gate at 20:30. This did include a 15 minute stop for coffee, but there were relatively few people going through the airport. The longest queue was for the final search before the departure gate. There were 2 full aircraft flying out at the same time, and only 4 people searching. Probalby took 20 minutes.

So, overall, its a pain, but it's bearable.
    Last edited by bobdob; 25-07-2017 at 07:52 AM.