Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spinal
    TDF Member
    • May 2016

So, a quick and brief summary... I passed! (would like to say I'm an instructor, but I can't... not until all the paperwork is processed!)

The parts I was freaking out more about, I got the higher scores (a 5.0 on the OW parts, and the rescue was "flawless" according to the examiner). Nervousness got the better of me at times (hovering... never struggled so much to stay still, my breathing was all over the place!). Theory and Standards both finished with yonks of time to spare.

I'll add a few "failure points" from my IE

* One chap arrived late, then failed the theory portion (day 1, first part) then left... which seemed odd, as you may as well stay for the rest and see what it's like.
    * Another person didn't finish the standards in time, and was told to put random answers at the 1-minute left mark when she freaked out. She passed (barely, but passed). She was really good at the rest of the exam, so I was happy for her (was my DM for my OW bits).
    * I struggled with the hover... Was really embarrassing. My advice here is, when borrowing/renting gear (tank and weight belt), at the start of your pool session, take 5 minutes and do a buoyancy check. Don't feel like you need to rush to start the exam (as I did). After the first failed attempt at hovering (as I said, embarrassing)... I was told by the examiner to relax, wait until all the others finished their skills circuits, and I had another try at the buoyancy. In the meantime, I did a quick weight check (over-weighted, never had been in a pool with a 12l tank). Second attempt at a hover went MUCH better. During the dinner that evening, the examiner asked if I did tec - as I was hovering horizontal instead of vertical... (technically, I don't - doing a tec course next week so have been practicing )
    * Re the presentations, write/print the various things you need to remember to say/use - then just work through the list. Remember to involve your students (even if they don't speak English )
    * For the OW, talk to other candidates before - decide who's going to be who's DM based on their own self-assessment of their weaknesses. You don't want to be teaching a sheet bend knot underwater, having to redo it 4-5 times until your student gets it

All in all, a really challenging two days, but VERY rewarding. I'm glad it's over, but honestly, wouldn't mind doing it again as I found it quite fun. For two days, I didn't think about work in the slightest... and was entirely focused on diving.

I even found my first student (who was reading my OW manual while waiting for me to finish the OW portion of the exam).
    M.

Comment

• MarkP
      Happy atheist, despite the "evidence"...
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Spinal
      So, a quick and brief summary... I passed! <snip>
      Congratulations - I have been on tenterhooks since your last post.

It starts for real now; I felt like I had a sign saying "The buck stops here" on my back as I led my first group of OW students towards the boat for their first ever dive.

Have fun!
      Happy to be a woke* feminist SJ(K)W snowflake in a godless universe, no matter what some experts think. And Braun was a twat who's not missed. At all.

* Had to add woke; couldn't resist.

Comment

• Spinal
        TDF Member
        • May 2016

Originally posted by MarkP
        Congratulations - I have been on tenterhooks since your last post.

It starts for real now; I felt like I had a sign saying "The buck stops here" on my back as I led my first group of OW students towards the boat for their first ever dive.

Have fun!
        That's the next scary thing. The examiner gave us all a speech at the end... two parts really hit home:
        - remember, your name will be on the new diver's cert cards, they will be a walking endorsement of your skills as an instructor. Think how you would feel if you received said diver in a continuing education course.
        - once you certify an OW diver, you are both divers (the trailing unspoken end was "would you be happy to dive with them?")

I've spoken to my LDS here, who are interested in some co-teaching, which would be beneficial to both of us (free pair of hands for them, and some more hands on experience for me... though that said, when I did my DM and AI at Wraysbury, I had plenty of hands on experience. I can't thank the guys/gals at Wraysbury enough; they were amazing... so real students don't scare me so much).

M.

Comment

• turnerjd
          Established TDF Member
          • Jan 2014

Congratulations.

The PADI IDC / IE can be tough if you aren't properly prepared, but it sounds like you were well prepared. Now the real work starts.
          My Club (in French)
          My research group
          My work

Comment

• greatwhite
            Established TDF Member
            • May 2013

So, a quick and brief summary... I passed! (would like to say I'm an instructor, but I can't... not until all the paperwork is processed!)

The parts I was freaking out more about, I got the higher scores (a 5.0 on the OW parts, and the rescue was "flawless" according to the examiner). Nervousness got the better of me at times (hovering... never struggled so much to stay still, my breathing was all over the place!). Theory and Standards both finished with yonks of time to spare.

I'll add a few "failure points" from my IE

* One chap arrived late, then failed the theory portion (day 1, first part) then left... which seemed odd, as you may as well stay for the rest and see what it's like.
            * Another person didn't finish the standards in time, and was told to put random answers at the 1-minute left mark when she freaked out. She passed (barely, but passed). She was really good at the rest of the exam, so I was happy for her (was my DM for my OW bits).
            * I struggled with the hover... Was really embarrassing. My advice here is, when borrowing/renting gear (tank and weight belt), at the start of your pool session, take 5 minutes and do a buoyancy check. Don't feel like you need to rush to start the exam (as I did). After the first failed attempt at hovering (as I said, embarrassing)... I was told by the examiner to relax, wait until all the others finished their skills circuits, and I had another try at the buoyancy. In the meantime, I did a quick weight check (over-weighted, never had been in a pool with a 12l tank). Second attempt at a hover went MUCH better. During the dinner that evening, the examiner asked if I did tec - as I was hovering horizontal instead of vertical... (technically, I don't - doing a tec course next week so have been practicing )
            * Re the presentations, write/print the various things you need to remember to say/use - then just work through the list. Remember to involve your students (even if they don't speak English )
            * For the OW, talk to other candidates before - decide who's going to be who's DM based on their own self-assessment of their weaknesses. You don't want to be teaching a sheet bend knot underwater, having to redo it 4-5 times until your student gets it

All in all, a really challenging two days, but VERY rewarding. I'm glad it's over, but honestly, wouldn't mind doing it again as I found it quite fun. For two days, I didn't think about work in the slightest... and was entirely focused on diving.

I even found my first student (who was reading my OW manual while waiting for me to finish the OW portion of the exam).
            M.
            Well done!

Comment

• MarkP
              Happy atheist, despite the "evidence"...
              • Dec 2012

I had plenty of hands on experience. I can't thank the guys/gals at Wraysbury enough; they were amazing... so real students don't scare me so much).

M.
              I think I did around 120 dives as a divemaster so, like you, I wasn't remotely frightened of students or teaching.

However, the buck will now stop with you and that feels very different, especially in the sea!

That having been said, you'll have a great time and have loads of stories to tell after a few years...
              Happy to be a woke* feminist SJ(K)W snowflake in a godless universe, no matter what some experts think. And Braun was a twat who's not missed. At all.

* Had to add woke; couldn't resist.

Comment

• Tewdric
                Established TDF Member
                • Feb 2013

Congratulations!

Comment

• Tel
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

Bit of an aside, but what we've found having generated a large number of PADI Instructors is that if you
                  want to nail the IE choose a different route, one that may seem crazy, but works - it's go BSAC

A PADI DM crosses over to Dive Leader on joining BSAC, can go on an Instructor Foundation Course and
                  they become an Assistant Diving Instructor (ADI).

A DL/ADI can teach ALL elements of Ocean and Sport Diver (theory & practical) with on-site (not direct)
                  supervision. Now in reality that wouldn't happen straight away, but the difference here is that a ADI can
                  teach skills cold, unlike PADI DM's who may be able to reteach or hone skills that have already been taught
                  by an Instructor, but whose often first experience of this is on the IDC itself.

Our DM's have been mentored to the point where they are every bit as good as a full Instructor and are
                  let lose with students with on-site supervision.

Going for the IDC/IE is a fairly big commitment both in time and money, so doing it this way makes for
                  very competent Instructors in all but name.

PADI themselves identified the difference between being an assistant & being an Instructor plus the high
                  number of fails in the IE that was linked to the lack of decent prep. This is why many IDC/IE venues
                  offer prep weeks to get the DM's upto speed beforehand. While this is good it's still just a week and still
                  pitched at brushing up DM skills then doing the BSAC route of actual real teaching.

You do have to get your brain in what agency? mode, but once nailed it's easy to switch between the two

Comment

• Tewdric
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Tel
                    Bit of an aside, but what we've found having generated a large number of PADI Instructors is that if you
                    want to nail the IE choose a different route, one that may seem crazy, but works - it's go BSAC

A PADI DM crosses over to Dive Leader on joining BSAC, can go on an Instructor Foundation Course and
                    they become an Assistant Diving Instructor (ADI).

A DL/ADI can teach ALL elements of Ocean and Sport Diver (theory & practical) with on-site (not direct)
                    supervision. Now in reality that wouldn't happen straight away, but the difference here is that a ADI can
                    teach skills cold, unlike PADI DM's who may be able to reteach or hone skills that have already been taught
                    by an Instructor, but whose often first experience of this is on the IDC itself.

Our DM's have been mentored to the point where they are every bit as good as a full Instructor and are
                    let lose with students with on-site supervision.

Going for the IDC/IE is a fairly big commitment both in time and money, so doing it this way makes for
                    very competent Instructors in all but name.

PADI themselves identified the difference between being an assistant & being an Instructor plus the high
                    number of fails in the IE that was linked to the lack of decent prep. This is why many IDC/IE venues
                    offer prep weeks to get the DM's upto speed beforehand. While this is good it's still just a week and still
                    pitched at brushing up DM skills then doing the BSAC route of actual real teaching.

You do have to get your brain in what agency? mode, but once nailed it's easy to switch between the two
                    We would never have expected a suggestion like that from you Tel!

A better answer would be work in a busy dive centre with a resident Course Director so you are living and breathing PADI methods, materials and standards and learning them almost by osmosis.

Comment

• Tel
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Tewdric
                      We would never have expected a suggestion like that from you Tel!
                      It's a genuine suggestion born by doing the route myself, I am both PADI & BSAC so it's objective

Originally posted by Tewdric
                      A better answer would be work in a busy dive centre with a resident Course Director so you are living and breathing PADI methods, materials and standards and learning them almost by osmosis.
                      In an ideal world maybe and being immersed in training helps, but it will always be an assist not taking students
                      out and teaching solo for real, that's fairly big difference. Overseas true that might be different, working
                      six/seven days a week plenty of opportunity to get skills nailed, but not in the UK.

Here it's at best a weekend or the odd midweek night, time is tight and often no chance of a skills
                      circuits or even reteaching if a course has to be nailed that weekend.

Besides PADI IDC centers and PADI themselves have introduced IDC/IE prep weeks, so even they understand
                      that "work in a busy dive center" route just isn't an option for many.

1. Work for a busy dive center
                      2. Do a PADI prep week
                      3. Do BSAC IFC and work as an ADI

It's just another option and agency is irrelevant, if it gets students ready for the IE, who cares anyway.

Comment

• Spinal
                        TDF Member
                        • May 2016

I did yet another option actually...

Did the DM, and then instead of an IE, did the AI at Wraysbury. Ended up helping with courses there as an AI pretty much every weekend for a while. That's what I need prepared me most.

I then did the OWSI (second half of the AI) in Italy, with an Italian CD next to where the exam was.

Edit: What does the crossover cost? My total cost was:
                        DM: £350
                        DM Crewpack: £120 (I think... can't find the email)
                        AI: £350
                        OWSI: 600eur (not the cheapest, but I was being very selective with my CD choice)
                        AI/OWSI Crewpack: £160
                        IE: (need to check, I think 600-700eur)

(crewpacks were bought on eBay, from a seller that has a few every month... inclusive of the all important holographic sticker. Yes, they were very cheap by normal standards)
                        Last edited by Spinal; 29-05-2017, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• Tel
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Dec 2012

Think one of the bonus things about the BSAC route is that you are doing the job for real taking
                          students out and teaching them without direct supervision and that's before booking the course.
                          Sure it will cost about £300 to join a club and do the IFC (we do all that for £230), but that's
                          before spending £1500 or even more on IDC/IE or AI/IDC/IE route.

Not everybody is cut out to be an Instructor and the romance can evaporate once the job starts
                          for real and nobody is around to hold a hand, so finding that out before spending a large wedge
                          isn't that bad a concept
                          Last edited by Tel; 29-05-2017, 03:38 PM. Reason: Crap formatting

Comment

• Robbie Moubert
                            TDF Member
                            • May 2014

You can't beat experience. I spent fours years as a DMT/DM, working with lots of different instructors. I also had 400 dives by the time of my IDC/IE. Some of my fellow candidates had only just managed to reach the required 100 dives and hadn't done much more than the minimum amount of assisting required by the DM course. I did feel very confident when demonstrating and assessing skills because I knew there was nothing that could be thrown at me that I hadn't seen for real.

One story I didn't want to share before Spinal did his IE was about one chap who failed on mine. I did my IDC in Italy with six locals (we had two Course Directors, one Italian and one English) and we were joined by a number of other dive centres for the IE. One of the two PADI examiners (let's call him A) was in a relationship with one of our Course Directors so he couldn't have any involvement with our group and we had to have examiner B. One of our students failed on one of the confined water assessments (can't remember what for unfortunately, it was back in 2004). Examiner A told me afterwards that he would have warned him about it but then given the minimum pass mark. Unfortunately, examiner B was the self-proclaimed "toughest examiner in PADI Europe" and failed him which seemed a bit harsh.

Congratulations to Spinal!
                            My blog - The Art of Diving

Instagram

Comment

• Neilwood
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Oct 2015

Well done hard work paid off

Comment

Working...