Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Established TDF Member OutOfTest's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Unfortunately MattJ and myself both dive in caves where this is par for the course, rather than an emergency drill.

I'll post up some photos of how I run mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTest View Post
    Unfortunately MattJ and myself both dive in caves where this is par for the course, rather than an emergency drill.

I'll post up some photos of how I run mine

Be interesting to see

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a 7L steel cylinder shown next to my typical sidemount regs.

Note the snoopies running all the way down the cylinder. This is for stowing unused hoses under (like inflator hoses when dive calls for no wing/wetsuit) or gear under (say a rope for climbing beyond a sump or crowbar for underwater digging).

The regulator hose is 1m and runs up, behind my neck and, hangs on the opposite side to the cylinder it attaches to, attaches to a regulator necklace (both sides do this).

The SPG hose is maybe 40-60cm, can't remember which, it's long. Inflator hose is 30-40cm and works for either wing or drysuit at this length and works ambidextrously.

The valve on the cylinder has a bit of bike inner tube around it.

You place a bight of SPG hose through here, allowing you to pull it out to allow clear access to mask in low vis. To pull back into place, put finger where it is in this picture and pull it back down.

But on most dives in reasonable vis (or short enough you can check it between underwater sections) it sits pretty down here.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I use long HP hoses (rubber), my first stage allows me to run the hose down the length of the cylinder, and then back up with a small loop of elastic tying the hose just before the contents gauge (just have seen OOT's pics so very similar to that). All kept tight to the bottle with snoopys. I can pull them up if I want to read them, and then tuck them down again.

All fine in peat/tannin water but in liquid mud, I couldn't see anything, seem to remember there being a tube of perspex (or something similar that you could press against gauge and mask in order to read. Think it may be in an older CDG manual, will consult tonight...

I've found that an arm mounted torch (elastic on forearm with torch shoved in) was way better than helmet lights when you're in opaque liquid mud (you could then see some vague swirly bits and shadows rather than just bright grey). I just switched off my helmet lights and used arm light power for a bit.
    Like Cave Diving? - see www.fb.me/CaveDivingFilms
    A few videos of dives I have done over the last few years - Scotland, Wales and Egypt | www.youtube.com/Stirlingscuba

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    And I've literally just set mine up mexico-style pointing down the cylinder... Harumph.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    IrnBru, in proper zero vis, actual liquid mud (the kind you have to dig through for forward profession)

Pull SPG up to helmet light.
    This makes it glow
    Put flat against mask glass

Might not work for you though, cos you're old.

The gauge reader tube is in the current manual. You can also get similar results by supergluing the plexiglass directly to the gauge face and following my procedures above, difference being now it's further from your eye :P

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Denny View Post
    And I've literally just set mine up mexico-style pointing down the cylinder... Harumph.
    Yeah, that doesn't work everywhere.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTest View Post
    Yeah, that doesn't work everywhere.
    Maybe I'll just avoid the muddy bits of the world and stick to nice crystal clear mines... and Florida... and Mexico... (chance 'd be a fine thing)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It would appear to be the sensible option!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks OOT - I am old

Crawling back from 24-23 in dark grey liquid mud, you question why you do it.....you could be at home, watching x factor...then you feel much better about crawling through a shitty mud filled rift and life doesn't seem quite so bad.

Most of my friends are half my age and twice as good. Every trip I question what the hell I think Im doing...and (equally) there's never been any trip I haven't loved every minute of and felt privileged to be part of - with a great bunch of people.

I won't ever tell them that though...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast