Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oxygen tank fire.... ccr.....

Saw this earlier, it might interest some:

https://www.divinghq.info/single-pos...EMOLISHES-FLAT

Note, theres a lot of assumptions/supposition at the end....

Where'd The Bubbles Go ....? Capt Morgan's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I seen that a few days back and think one thing we can be sure of
    is never to leave your unit with bottles attached sitting on a bench
    that it may fall off.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Saw that the other morning. Just before going into work to fill a large number of CCR tanks, a lot of which are O2/Catalina combinations....

Established TDF Member DiverMike's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The advice to store cylinders horizontal is interesting. I've always thought t better to store upright so any moisture rusts the thicker bottom bit which can be shot blasted.
    I nearly shat myself last night when boosting o2 into my ccr cylinder. A yard brush fell off the wall knocking my bike over. Which knocked my drive gas cylinder over. Which knocked my 12l O2 cylinder over. While it was all still pumping.

Does not play nicely with others drysuitdiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverMike View Post
    The advice to store cylinders horizontal is interesting. I've always thought t better to store upright so any moisture rusts the thicker bottom bit which can be shot blasted.
    I nearly shat myself last night when boosting o2 into my ccr cylinder. A yard brush fell off the wall knocking my bike over. Which knocked my drive gas cylinder over. Which knocked my 12l O2 cylinder over. While it was all still pumping.
    Next Honda video .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Those who think they got away with things had better watch their backs
    .“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverMike View Post
    Back in the day, I crept up behind a mate who was filling tanks....in my hand was a ribena carton which fell to the floor and accidentally got stamped on.

I was apologising for days....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I know of quite a number of similar incidents, all with aluminium cylinders. Does anyone know of similar events with small steel cylinders? Side note - back in the day when aluminium cylinders were first introduce for medical use, Airgas refused to fill them. Of course they had a change of heart when they became the standard. Keep in mind that medical cylinders are all 2015 and 2216 psi working pressure, not 3000 psi
    An independent diver

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bletso View Post
    I know of quite a number of similar incidents, all with aluminium cylinders. Does anyone know of similar events with small steel cylinders? Side note - back in the day when aluminium cylinders were first introduce for medical use, Airgas refused to fill them. Of course they had a change of heart when they became the standard. Keep in mind that medical cylinders are all 2015 and 2216 psi working pressure, not 3000 psi
    Not all, at least in the UK. I have 2 BOC medical oxygen cylinders that are 300 bar (4351 psi).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have run into a few specials here as well. Nothing that high though. They were for the aircraft industry. (We run a hydro facility) I really wouldn't want to be the fill operator on one of those. 3000 is my limit and then very slowly.
    An independent diver