Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    That reminds me of this genuine response when asked about the ability to shutdown and I quote
    "yes I know I can't reach the valves, but if I have a problem i'll go to my buddy and get him to do it".
    Once you move away from practicing closing and re opening valves in a particular order (a valve drill) into fixable or non fixable failure modes in a real situation, then a team mate should be in a good position to assist diagnosing the problem. This will usually involve manipulating a buddy's valves.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    GUE Instructor

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Once you move away from practicing closing and re opening valves in a particular order (a valve drill) into fixable or non fixable failure modes in a real situation, then a team mate should be in a good position to assist diagnosing the problem. This will usually involve manipulating a buddy's valves.
    Well yes agreed, but that makes three assumptions non of which applied in this case.

1. Diver had limited practice in shutdowns.
    2. It was a buddy not a team
    3. Buddy was often a random diver with no experience of twins and any possible response protocol was limited to the buddy check.

I did put a smiley to indicate how dodgy it was

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    That reminds me of this genuine response when asked about the ability to shutdown and I quote
    "yes I know I can't reach the valves, but if I have a problem i'll go to my buddy and get him to do it".
    Whilst it's quite an amusing and / or scary answer, quite a lot of people (even on here) think getting their buddy to carry their back up gas is perfectly acceptable, and in fact better than having some of your own. Just sayin' like.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123