X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tel
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Mark Chase
    Mind you joking aside at least he could actualy shut down unlike some who wouldnt be caught dead with as slob knob but cant shut down for toffiee
    That reminds me of this genuine response when asked about the ability to shutdown and I quote
    "yes I know I can't reach the valves, but if I have a problem i'll go to my buddy and get him to do it".

Comment

• Hawk13
      Doing It Rong
      • May 2013

Originally posted by NWdiver
      When I did it there was a bit of progression. Starting out neutral above a platform > with a DSMB for visual reference > Without any platform or line. However, at this point your buddy should be working to provide a visual reference by ensuring they accurately maintain their depth.
      Same way I did it - and yes, your buddy or team is key here.

Comment

• Turbanator
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Tel
        That reminds me of this genuine response when asked about the ability to shutdown and I quote
        "yes I know I can't reach the valves, but if I have a problem i'll go to my buddy and get him to do it".
        '....SMB deployment is always a doddle because I carry the reel and my buddy has the bag!' 😉

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
        'I saw some purple slug things on the Scylla, so I squished them' - #MiniBodger

Comment

• Wibs
          Established TDF Member
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by TheRedDarren
          Yup, I bought one a few months back. Quite comfortable with it now and have taken it down to 48m. I have had to change drysuits though to get to my valves, so now I'm practicing to make my shut down drill nice and slick ready for my Adv nitrox & deco proc.
          When you say in mid water do you mean with no visual reference?
          As @NWDiver said, there's a progression from the platform and your buddy should be doing their job. However, loads of practice helps a lot.

One way to get used to it is to do a 'flow check', where you check that all three valves are open - turn the valve to fully open then back off a gnats. Do this every 5 mins and you'll quickly get used to reaching the valves. It also encourages you to shake up the drysuit at the beginning of the dive rather than just before you do the valve drill -- after all, nobody knows when one might need to manipulate the valves for real, so you should be ready.

When's your course? I found it completely changed the way I approach diving; finally freed from the scourge of the NDLs...

Comment

• TheRedDarren
            TDF Member
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Wibs
            As @NWDiver said, there's a progression from the platform and your buddy should be doing their job. However, loads of practice helps a lot.

One way to get used to it is to do a 'flow check', where you check that all three valves are open - turn the valve to fully open then back off a gnats. Do this every 5 mins and you'll quickly get used to reaching the valves. It also encourages you to shake up the drysuit at the beginning of the dive rather than just before you do the valve drill -- after all, nobody knows when one might need to manipulate the valves for real, so you should be ready.

When's your course? I found it completely changed the way I approach diving; finally freed from the scourge of the NDLs...
            The course is at the start of August.
            I have done the Intro to Tech course which was really good, just a quick taster of the level you need to be at really, but a definate learning curve. It changed the way I thnik of diving too, trim is now horizontal, constant drills throughout the dive (reaching back, mask on and off etc). Really looking forward to progressing my dive skills further.
            I've actually been doing deco dives since I got BSAC Sports diver, but as a membre of a rather gung ho club I can remember doing dives in the 40-50 range, releasing the blob at about 70 bar and coming straight up to 5m for deco! Not the way to do it, but there we are!

Comment

• Badger
              GUE Instructor
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Tel
              Once you move away from practicing closing and re opening valves in a particular order (a valve drill) into fixable or non fixable failure modes in a real situation, then a team mate should be in a good position to assist diagnosing the problem. This will usually involve manipulating a buddy's valves.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
              GUE Instructor

Comment

• Tel
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Badger
                Once you move away from practicing closing and re opening valves in a particular order (a valve drill) into fixable or non fixable failure modes in a real situation, then a team mate should be in a good position to assist diagnosing the problem. This will usually involve manipulating a buddy's valves.
                Well yes agreed, but that makes three assumptions non of which applied in this case.

1. Diver had limited practice in shutdowns.
                2. It was a buddy not a team
                3. Buddy was often a random diver with no experience of twins and any possible response protocol was limited to the buddy check.

I did put a smiley to indicate how dodgy it was

Comment

• profpointy
                  TDF Member
                  • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Tel
                  Whilst it's quite an amusing and / or scary answer, quite a lot of people (even on here) think getting their buddy to carry their back up gas is perfectly acceptable, and in fact better than having some of your own. Just sayin' like.

Comment

Working...